The Student Room Group

What should i drop, if i should?

Doind maths, physics, chem, bio. Should i drop any first of all, cause i was thinking of doing all 4 as a 2 year course. Planning on doing medicine/dentistry.
Reply 1
Anyone? I need to decide quickly so any feedback would be helpful
Reply 2
Nice TSR people, please?
Bump!
Original post by 123chem
Nice TSR people, please?

Hi; I know dentistry is a very competitive course. Have you asked careers at your college or anywhere? Rmemeber that the workload at A2 is a lot more difficult; Hence why people only choose to do 3. If you don't ever decide to do a fourth subject, you could always do the EPQ?.

(This doesn't entirely link) but I know a girl who did the same subjects as you and she continued 4 of her subjects just to get into Oxford and study physics. So maybe doing 4 and getting amazing results will put you at a greater advantage. But then again, it is dependent on you of whether you can take the load. I hope this helps.
Original post by 123chem
Doind maths, physics, chem, bio. Should i drop any first of all, cause i was thinking of doing all 4 as a 2 year course. Planning on doing medicine/dentistry.

For medicine and dentistry 4 a levels are not needed, if you think you will do much better by 3 a levels then dropping one at at the start of A2. If you were to drop physics would be the one that would have the least effect on your application as chemistry is a requirement along with biology, maths just being a strong universal subject which makes everyone a stronger applicant.
It really depends on how well you get on with it. For some people, 4 A-levels is too much, but for others, they can manage it.

Do you enjoy the subjects?
Are you good at the subjects?
Are you orgnanised?

Also, think about if you actually need all 4 for your desired course as universities will only consider 3 grades. I haven't done any research into Medicene/Dentistry as it's not my choice of course, but do you need Physics for it? if you were to drop any, to me, Physics seems like the better one to drop.
Reply 7
If i would be dropping, it would be physics. Maths is too easy to do, and bio and chem are needed. Question is, will 4 A levels help my uni app?
Original post by 123chem
If i would be dropping, it would be physics. Maths is too easy to do, and bio and chem are needed. Question is, will 4 A levels help my uni app?

I think it will, I'll shows you can handle a heavy workload and can deal with stress well etc

However I think A*A*A is better than AAAA, so if you think your other grades will be affected by doing physics, then drop it, if not then I see no reason why you shouldn't keep it on
Reply 9
People who have done physics A level - is A2 a massive jump from AS?
Reply 10
Original post by 123chem
People who have done physics A level - is A2 a massive jump from AS?

Yes. A2 physics is killer. I'm finding it harder than further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest