The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

We must be **** if Mignolet gets a 5 year contract, Enrique making a living just by playing Fifa/Mario Kart [or whatever he does] and Sturridge £150k/wk when he always injured and who's missed more games by injury than actually playing it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LFC_fan_321
We must be **** if Mignolet gets a 5 year contract, Enrique making a living just by playing Fifa/Mario Kart [or whatever he does] and Sturridge £150k/wk when he always injured and who's missed more games by injury than actually playing it.

*sigh* really hoping Klopp/Mignolet proves us all wrong but I can't see it. Don't think any fan wanted him to get an extension.

We're just running Enrique's contract down (expires this summer). No one obviously came in for him. Surprised how quickly he fell off - he's only 30 this month.

Can't really fault Sturridge for being injured. He had a great first 18 months (with a few injuries) but since then it's been really bad.
Shame he wants to leave, I thought he'd have a bright future for Liverpool http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35342040
Original post by Lúcio
#obsessed

Don't have time for blondes, sorry.

Dyed my hair.. jokes on you m8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hayles101
Dyed my hair.. jokes on you m8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really?

I'm listening.
Original post by Rock Fan
Shame he wants to leave, I thought he'd have a bright future for Liverpool http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35342040

If he had a bright future - with our forward crisis as it is - he'd be forcing the issue and making the bench, or even starting. He isn't, and I think that's forced his hand and he now wants a fresh start. We aren't losing anything special, despite that goal at Exeter the other Friday night in the FA Cup.
Original post by Mackay
If he had a bright future - with our forward crisis as it is - he'd be forcing the issue and making the bench, or even starting. He isn't, and I think that's forced his hand and he now wants a fresh start. We aren't losing anything special, despite that goal at Exeter the other Friday night in the FA Cup.

I agree - he isn't terrible and he has some potential but not at the level we need.

You can see that some aspects of his play are great; the way he took the goal vs Exeter was a great display of his reactions, calmness and general striker instinct. That being said, he doesn't show too much more and he barely did anything else against a League 2 side.

Obviously you can't judge a player on a single game (especially a young one), but the fact that he wants to leave means absolutely nothing to me.
No interest in a kid leaving us when we lack so many first-team leaders, to be honest. I expect a proper hollowing out at Melwood this summer, because Klopp lacks leaders and winners.
The Mignolet contract extension makes no bloody sense. I can't even comprehend why anybody would think 5 years is suitable. Are they seeing something in him that none of us see?

He clearly has talent and on the rare occasions he runs in to a vein of form, he can compete with some of the best keepers in the league. However it's never permanent and he ultimately reverts back to making error after error each game.

I have 2 problems with his new contract. Firstly, why the bloody hell would we give him a contract that long when he's done nothing to warrant it?
Secondly, why would we commit so much financially to an unspectacular goalkeeper when there are plenty of options out there to invest in.
Ter Stegen, Butland, Horn or Leno would all be better options than Mignolet in my opinion so it's not like we've been forced in to giving him a new contract because there's nobody else to buy.

Mignolet is a huge confidence player - perhaps Klopp has seen him perform exceptionally in training and knows that with enough nurturing and belief, he can come good?
Personally I doubt it, although in fairness you must consider that DDG got off to a poor start at United and now he's one of the top 5 keepers in the world. Things change but I just feel like this is too big of a commitment to a guy that in several years just hasn't stepped up enough.

Opponents see our weakness. They see a weak central defence in front of a weak goalkeeper and they use that to their advantage. All they see is a nervous keeper protected by a defence who are laughably poor from set pieces.
All you need to do to beat us is play for corners and I'm not even exaggerating. It's just that easy and quite frankly it's becoming an embarrassment.
(edited 8 years ago)
lol a ****ing 5 year contract, please tell me it's April's fools. He's been absolutely **** at Liverpool and at best an average keeper. He should just piss off back to Sunderland, what a joke.

Mind you, if anyone can improve Mignolet it'll be Klopp. I'll try to hold on to the little faith I have left in Mignolet.
hehe not long ago he was the "6th best keeper in the league"
Who is next? Skrtel?

Liverpool are rewarding disappointment with this contract extension. I actually think Klopp's faith and backing of Mignolet is admirable, but the timing of it from a PR standpoint is borderline farcical.

We've just lost to one of the worst United sides of my lifetime - if not THE worst - and Mignolet has been a constant staple in a defence which is leaking goals, breeding uncertainty, and doing the fanbase's heads in.

It may be asset protection, it may be trying to tie him down as a number two so Klopp can recruit his own man, but all of that is uncertain - and what seems certain - is that Mignolet will be in our goal, flapping at crosses and failing to organise a defence, for another HALF a decade.

Mignolet strikes me as somebody who analyses and over-thinks things. The best goalkeepers are bred on instinct - something he just lacks, meaning he'll never be top class.
Original post by Lúcio
The Mignolet contract extension makes no bloody sense. I can't even comprehend why anybody would think 5 years is suitable. Are they seeing something in him that none of us see?

He clearly has talent and on the rare occasions he runs in to a vein of form, he can compete with some of the best keepers in the league. However it's never permanent and he ultimately reverts back to making error after error each game.

I have 2 problems with his new contract. Firstly, why the bloody hell would we give him a contract that long when he's done nothing to warrant it?
Secondly, why would we commit so much financially to an unspectacular goalkeeper when there are plenty of options out there to invest in.
Ter Stegen, Butland, Horn or Leno would all be better options than Mignolet in my opinion so it's not like we've been forced in to giving him a new contract because there's nobody else to buy.

Mignolet is a huge confidence player - perhaps Klopp has seen him perform exceptionally in training and knows that with enough nurturing and belief, he can come good?
Personally I doubt it, although in fairness you must consider that DDG got off to a poor start at United and now he's one of the top 5 keepers in the world. Things change but I just feel like this is too big of a commitment to a guy that in several years just hasn't stepped up enough.

Opponents see our weakness. They see a weak central defence in front of a weak goalkeeper and they use that to their advantage. All they see is a nervous keeper protected by a defence who are laughably poor from set pieces.
All you need to do to beat us is play for corners and I'm not even exaggerating. It's just that easy and quite frankly it's becoming an embarrassment.

The difference for DDG was that he was a young skinny kid and therefore the Premier League was a bit of a shock. He managed to bulk up to address those weaknesses while retaining all of his other quality to become a great keeper.

Mignolet isn't young and he isn't going to dramatically improve one weakness.

Original post by Mackay
Who is next? Skrtel?

Liverpool are rewarding disappointment with this contract extension. I actually think Klopp's faith and backing of Mignolet is admirable, but the timing of it from a PR standpoint is borderline farcical.

We've just lost to one of the worst United sides of my lifetime - if not THE worst - and Mignolet has been a constant staple in a defence which is leaking goals, breeding uncertainty, and doing the fanbase's heads in.

It may be asset protection, it may be trying to tie him down as a number two so Klopp can recruit his own man, but all of that is uncertain - and what seems certain - is that Mignolet will be in our goal, flapping at crosses and failing to organise a defence, for another HALF a decade.

Mignolet strikes me as somebody who analyses and over-thinks things. The best goalkeepers are bred on instinct - something he just lacks, meaning he'll never be top class.

It's not asset protection when no one in their right mind would try and buy Mignolet from us! He still had 2.5 years left on his contract and we could've just given him a year or two more in the summer. Right now all we've done is commit ourselves to a bigger contract liability. Don't forget that Mignolet reportedly also got a pay rise which means he'll be on double what we'd expect to pay our number 2 keeper. We got rid of Reina because we couldn't commit to two high salaries for GKs.

The contract baffles everyone but I guess only Klopp could get away with it. If Rodgers had done that he would've been slaughtered.
Im sure klopp was like "give the little boy a chance, award him a new contract, im different from BR wait till you see next seasom" this is bull****

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zerforax

It's not asset protection when no one in their right mind would try and buy Mignolet from us!

Not for the amount of money we'd be asking for, admittedly, but clubs have signed worse. Put him in a side with a tall, solid defence in front of him (i.e. Leicester or Stoke) and you wouldn't see half the problems you currently witness from him.
Original post by Mackay
Not for the amount of money we'd be asking for, admittedly, but clubs have signed worse. Put him in a side with a tall, solid defence in front of him (i.e. Leicester or Stoke) and you wouldn't see half the problems you currently witness from him.

Do you think we could even sell him for £10mil currently? Can't ignore the fact that he's now probably on like 80k a week too.

For a brilliant shot stopper, he doesn't seem to have stopped many shots lately?
Much has been made of Jürgen Klopp’s touchline behaviour at Liverpool, those sudden cartwheeling appearances, grasping at the air, forming weird geometric shapes with his hands, a blur of teeth, glasses and quilted sportswear. At first this was interpreted as passion, then anger, then provocation. Another thought occurred watching Klopp at Anfield on Sunday. Perhaps he’s just really, really confused.

And with good reason, too. Liverpool’s squad is a deeply confusing collection of footballers. Watching their spirited impersonation of a coherent, hard-pressing Premier League team, it was the final 10 minutes of the defeat by Manchester United that really stood out. Chasing a point at the last, Klopp sent on Christian Benteke, the only centre-forward in his 18-man squad. Benteke touched the ball six times and visibly struggled to fit into a team that had just spent 80 minutes playing to an entirely different set of strengths.

With a minute to go Steven Caulker, a centre-half at centre-forward, came on for James Milner, a central midfielder playing as a right-sided attacker, to join Roberto Firmino, a No9 or No10, who spent the 90 minutes haring about, quite effectively, trying to be both.

Little wonder Klopp might be a bit confused. And not just by the conflicting qualities of the group of players he has inherited. But by the structures and governance of a club that has, in a brilliant coup, managed to hire one of the most desirable managers in Europe; and then, in the opposite of a brilliant coup, presented him with one of the weirdest, most ill-fitting squads in recent Premier League history.

This is no exaggeration. Liverpool have signed 50 players in the past five years, a team a season. The current group were signed under five different managers, to unconnected tactical plans, most recently by a mob-handed transfer committee with its own dimly conceived moneyball-style pretentions.

There is no shortage of informed opinion on Klopp’s efforts to make sense of this. One thing stands out, though. Liverpool’s transfer committee, in its current format, really does deserve to go. The reasons for this are obvious enough. First, it is now basically redundant. It was Brendan Rodgers’ insistence that he wouldn’t work with a director of football that led to the committee’s formation in the first place. Odd to think that but for Rodgers’ stubbornness Louis van Gaal might have been in the Liverpool directors’ box on Sunday, or even next to Klopp on the bench as one half of a mouthwatering Euro-brainbox power-couple.

Rodgers’ remarks about the workings of the club over the weekend must be read in the context of an unemployed manager tending his reputation. But they do shine a light on the self-generated muddle the club has handed his successor. “It’s difficult because you want a player in but if the player is not on the list, you’d have to take someone,” Rodgers said. “There’s no other option, you give it a go.”

Except that giving it a go works only if there is a hint of a tactically sympathetic relationship with the man putting these players on the pitch. Of the team Liverpool fielded on Sunday, Mamadou Sakho, Emre Can, Alberto Moreno and Firmino are said to have been “committee” signings. Adam Lallana, Milner, Benteke and Nathaniel Clyne were Rodgers’ choices. Lucas Leiva and Jordan Henderson were signed by Rafa Benítez and Kenny Dalglish. Jordon Ibe was an academy kid taken from Wycombe at the age of 16, a Rodgers favourite, now embraced just about by Klopp.

A camel, so the saying goes, is a horse designed by committee. And right now Liverpool are pretty much the definition of a footballing camel. A squad built with the combined input of a six-man committee and five different managers, with a mixture of team-building, bargain-hunting, quick fix and long-term planning in mind, was never likely to be anything else.

It might be argued the committee itself is not the problem. Klopp is comfortable with the process. At Borussia Dortmund the majority of players were signed by the club hierarchy. In the Premier League Tottenham have a pretty functional, slimmed-down version, judging by the past two years at least.

The issue at Liverpool is a transfer committee that has simply failed on its record. The dominant personality is said to be Mike Gordon, a well-respected US stockbroker who is, according to John Henry, “by far FSG America’s most knowledgeable person with regard to soccer”. Footballers, though, are not stocks. Buying young players with resale in mind does not amount to team-building. “They were thinking this is a £50m player we could maybe get for £16m,” Rodgers said of the signing of Mario Balotelli.

But there is a reason Balotelli was so cheap. Just as Rodgers, in pure football terms, was never going to be the manager to bring him to that level.

It was at least a tactic though. Two years on the signing of Benteke, for a non-refundable twice the price, seems entirely baffling: neither an investment nor a symptom of Rodgers’ playing “philosophy” in action, just evidence of a confusion of voices.

What is clear is that Klopp has a minor part in what this team of mismatched components look like right now. He may yet be able to wring some short-term order. But the ability to panic-build is hardly a basis on which to judge him. Just as it is probably best to put a hold on asking when we might see the first barks of power-chord football from the collection of mandolins, harpsichords and broken ukuleles thrust into his hands. The real measure will come a year or so on from the expected purge at the end of the season. On current evidence Firmino, Can, Philippe Coutinho, Lucas, Clyne, along with youngsters such as Ibe and Joe Gomez may form an early nucleus. The list of those likely to head elsewhere is as long as a piece of string, with Benteke and Lallana the most obviously lacking in Klopp-style edge.

For now a better place to start might be the slimming down or junking of that ill-starred committee, an accident of the Rodgers era that has turned out to be its most confusing legacy.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jan/18/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-transfer-committee

Pretty much sums up the issues about our transfer policy for quite a while now.
The only bit of optimism I have over the contract is that perhaps Klopp is tying down Mignolet so he has a back-up/competitive keeper set up if he brings in a fairly young and unproven German goalkeeper like Horn or Leno for instance?

It would make sense and provide good competition between the two, but even then I would struggle to understand how a 5 year contract fits for Mignolet fits in.
Original post by Lúcio
The only bit of optimism I have over the contract is that perhaps Klopp is tying down Mignolet so he has a back-up/competitive keeper set up if he brings in a fairly young and unproven German goalkeeper like Horn or Leno for instance?

This is what I'm hoping.

Original post by Zerforax
Do you think we could even sell him for £10mil currently? Can't ignore the fact that he's now probably on like 80k a week too.

For a brilliant shot stopper, he doesn't seem to have stopped many shots lately?

Money doesn't matter anywhere near as much as anybody thinks it does. It's arbitrary in football - this is the way it's going. It's not my money, so I'm not bothered.

I agree on the second part - and it's something that can't be swept under the carpet. I think it's farcical that he's on the deck when Fellaini's header hits the bar on Sunday, for a start.

Latest