The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Applying to Bristol instead of Nottingham but yeah, no replies from any of them :\
Original post by Cheadle41
Hope you don't mind me asking but is the Glasgow offer unconditional?

Glasgow is a conditional offer.
Original post by dfradkin
same, got rejected by ucl due to lnat :s-smilie:

Hope you don't mind me asking but when did you apply to UCL? Did they specify if it was the MC or essay that they rejected you on?
Original post by JodieHarriett18
Hope you don't mind me asking but when did you apply to UCL? Did they specify if it was the MC or essay that they rejected you on?

nov4, no they didnt
nov4, no they didnt

That's so odd, I applied 7 Oct and heard nothing :/
nov4, no they didnt

When did you get rejected like the date? It's so rubbish :/
Reply 1346
Original post by fran_11
Got an offer from Trinity College, Cambridge :smile:

May i ask what were your GCSE , As ad predicted and how the interview went in your opinion?
Just got my final offer from Bristol a few days ago!
Altogether I have(all conditionals)
QMUL (A*AA)
KCL (A*AA)
Bristol (AAA/A*AB)
Manchester (AAA)
Newcastle (AAA)
Have no idea which ones to firm or insure atm though, fml
Original post by vblue77
QMUL (A*AA)
KCL (A*AA)
Bristol (AAA/A*AB)
Manchester (AAA)
Newcastle (AAA)

Well done! Can I ask what you got at GCSE please? Imo, Bristol and KCL are the best two so it depends now on location/uni U prefer, they're pretty equal with rep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Abhishek Dhawan;62098725]Also have offers from Warwick and QMUL + just received Bristol a few days back. What are your other options? Out of those, i would choose warwick simply because of its international reputation and employability. I'm waiting on KCL and LSE so would choose either of those over anything.

I have an offer from Manchester also and waiting on Kings. Was going to apply to LSE but my AS results weren't that great so I was a bit hesitant. I think kings might reject me based on lnat idk how it went. But I'm leaning towards Warwick for now anyways as its really high in employment prospects.
Original post by oli19919
Well done! Can I ask what you got at GCSE please? Imo, Bristol and KCL are the best two so it depends now on location/uni U prefer, they're pretty equal with rep.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 4 A*s, 3 A's and 3 C's, then AAAB in AS (:
I have a feeling I'll firm Bristol cos it's closer to where I live, but KCL and QMUL are really good for employment prospects so mehh
Original post by vblue77
I got 4 A*s, 3 A's and 3 C's, then AAAB in AS (:
I have a feeling I'll firm Bristol cos it's closer to where I live, but KCL and QMUL are really good for employment prospects so mehh

QMUL isn't highly thought of as a law school though?
Original post by JohnGreek
Both KCL and Bristol are reputed to be better, apparently. Not to say that any of them are poorly thought of, it's all relative :smile:

Any thoughts on Nottingham?
I really don't know :frown:, I've tended to focus the minimal amount of research I've done into this into the unis that either I or my friends have applied to...

I've heard that Nottingham has a great law department that challenges the "big boys" (UCL/LSE and Durham) in terms of the teaching, but I imagine that that may not count for that much when it comes to getting a job (for which employer rep. + career within 6 months + average starting salary stats may be more relevant). I guess looking at those variables in the various rankings may help, in addition to that chambersstudents.com PDF that's been floating around lately... Ill see if I can link it for you if you haven't seen it already, it looks at the proportions of employees that work in chambers-ranked firms from different unis. It may be useful if your son is contemplating a career in the City

Thanks😀
If he doesn't get another offer from LSE, it will be Notts or Bristol.
Original post by vblue77
QMUL (A*AA)
KCL (A*AA)
Bristol (AAA/A*AB)
Manchester (AAA)
Newcastle (AAA)

Original post by oli19919

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ArsalanBac
I have an offer from Manchester also and waiting on Kings. Was going to apply to LSE but my AS results weren't that great so I was a bit hesitant. I think kings might reject me based on lnat idk how it went. But I'm leaning towards Warwick for now anyways as its really high in employment prospects.

QMUL isn't highly thought of as a law school though?

Both KCL and Bristol are reputed to be better, apparently. Not to say that any of them are poorly thought of, it's all relative :smile:

Original post by Cholesta
Any thoughts on Nottingham?

stop talking about rankings and reputation. talk instead about the level of teaching quality. many of the lecturers in the unis that you mentioned are from Europe, Africa and Asia where english is not their first subject. so their accent will be a lot harder to understand. lectures are perhaps once a week for 3 hours and most of the time people will be asleep cos they can't understand what the lecturer is saying. your tutors are PHD or Master in law candidates at the same uni. they will be crucial in helping you to answer your questions.

If you ask me this is the order of the london unis in terms of teaching quality for law. Kings > UCL > LSE > Queen Mary > SOAS. How i arrived at this was based on the videos of lectures that my friends in those unis had recorded and kindly sent to me.
Original post by vblue77
QMUL (A*AA)
KCL (A*AA)
Bristol (AAA/A*AB)
Manchester (AAA)
Newcastle (AAA)

Good job on the offers. What were your predicted grades and when did you apply?
Original post by Audrey18
stop talking about rankings and reputation. talk instead about the level of teaching quality. many of the lecturers in the unis that you mentioned are from Europe, Africa and Asia where english is not their first subject. so their accent will be a lot harder to understand. lectures are perhaps once a week for 3 hours and most of the time people will be asleep cos they can't understand what the lecturer is saying. your tutors are PHD or Master in law candidates at the same uni. they will be crucial in helping you to answer your questions.

If you ask me this is the order of the london unis in terms of teaching quality for law. Kings > UCL > LSE > Queen Mary > SOAS. How i arrived at this was based on the videos of lectures that my friends in those unis had recorded and kindly sent to me.

How about Durham? How would you rank it with KCL, UCL, LSE, QM, SOAS

Why do you think kings if better than UCL and LSE???
Original post by vblue77
QMUL (A*AA)
KCL (A*AA)
Bristol (AAA/A*AB)
Manchester (AAA)
Newcastle (AAA)

Your Firm choice here rests on your confidence in achieving an A* and only you can judge that.

You haven't got an obvious Insurance choice there - bit late now, but you should have included an AAB choice even if it wasn't Law. Bristol looks like the most flexible offer so that might be the best Insurance choice from what you have.

General advice in Firm and Insuarnce choices here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices
stop talking about rankings and reputation. talk instead about the level of teaching quality. many of the lecturers in the unis that you mentioned are from Europe, Africa and Asia where english is not their first subject. so their accent will be a lot harder to understand. lectures are perhaps once a week for 3 hours and most of the time people will be asleep cos they can't understand what the lecturer is saying. your tutors are PHD or Master in law candidates at the same uni. they will be crucial in helping you to answer your questions.If you ask me this is the order of the london unis in terms of teaching quality for law. Kings > UCL > LSE > Queen Mary > SOAS. How i arrived at this was based on the videos of lectures that my friends in those unis had recorded and kindly sent to me.

Why do you think kings if better than UCL and LSE???

see above in bold. i bold it for you. hope you understand now.

Original post by Al9121010
How about Durham? How would you rank it with KCL, UCL, LSE, QM, SOAS

i don't have any friends in durham. so i can't say unless i watch or listen to the video recordings of the lectures. but i think durham tries to be like oxbridge with its collegiate system. anyways the problem with this forum is that when it comes to law everyone is hung up about rankings and reputation but no one talks about the low level of teaching quality where
1) the number of foreign law lecturers who have difficulty speaking English
2) the number of foreign law lecturers who have difficulty expressing themselves in English
3) the number of foreign law lecturers who are biased in their views when teaching European Union law. You know why?

If UK pulls out of the EU, all these foreign law lecturers teaching in UK unis now will have to return back to their home countries and apply for work permits to work in UK as lecturers. That is not all. They will have to compete with better spoken, knowledgeable and smarter lecturers from the Commonwealth who breath and live the English Common law.

This forum will have to learn the difficult way but by then it will be too late because you'll be stuck in the uni where the lecturers are hopeless and you will be wondering how to score those crucial marks for exams.

Latest

Trending

Trending