The Student Room Group

Do I have to eat above my TDEE on rest days...

... if Im trying to gain muscle?

I was doing a bulk and calculated my calories on the IIFYM calculator. I included the info regarding how many times a week you exercise for and for how long. It gave me my TDEE (about 1950) and I aimed to eat 100-150 cals above that so 2050-2100

Now problem was I was gaining weight far too rapidly and I was starting to look unsightly which I didn't want. Ive decided now to do a slower bulk but this time when calculating my TDEE I will:

a) not include the exercise sessions in the calculations as I feel they are inaccurate (I mean how the hell do they know how many calories I burn in a weightlifting session if I spend half the time resting!!) so it is now about 1600 for my TDEE

b) eat at 100-200 above TDEE on workout days (3-4x a week) i.e. 1700-1800

c) at TDEE or up to 50-100 cals more on rest days 1650-1700

d) keep my required protein macro needs i.e. 1-1.5g/kg/BW

How does this sound?

Bare in mind I am only 5 foot 3 so small and 130 ish pounds, and I have a few big events coming up in a few months time which I want to look good for, not like a flabby whale lol
(edited 8 years ago)
For the love of god don't ask anyone on myfitnesspal for advice on anything to do with health and/or fitness!

The TDEE thing is an estimate; you could fiddle around as you've suggested in the OP but it just seems too complicated. Personally I would do exactly what you were doing before, just at around 1950 per day.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
For the love of god don't ask anyone on myfitnesspal for advice on anything to do with health and/or fitness!

The TDEE thing is an estimate; you could fiddle around as you've suggested in the OP but it just seems too complicated. Personally I would do exactly what you were doing before, just at around 1950 per day.

i use MFP to track my cals

I feel like thats too much, Im getting pudgy :s-smilie:
Original post by tootles44
i use MFP to track my cals

I feel like thats too much, Im getting pudgy :s-smilie:

I use it to track calories too, just don't ask for advice because the overwhelming majority of the people who post on there are idiots (albeit well intentioned idiots).

If you're still trying to gain muscle then just ride the pudginess out. You could even try lowering your calories until you stop gaining weight to in order to find a more accurate TDEE, then adjust from there.
But you're a girl, aren't you? There's only so much muscle you can gain; try focusing on gaining strength instead as it's far, far easier to gauge.

Overall, try and keep things as simple as possible. Remove the extraneous variables!
Reply 5
I use it to track calories too, just don't ask for advice because the overwhelming majority of the people who post on there are idiots (albeit well intentioned idiots).

If you're still trying to gain muscle then just ride the pudginess out. You could even try lowering your calories until you stop gaining weight to in order to find a more accurate TDEE, then adjust from there.
But you're a girl, aren't you? There's only so much muscle you can gain; try focusing on gaining strength instead as it's far, far easier to gauge.

Overall, try and keep things as simple as possible. Remove the extraneous variables!

How about if I lower my current intake, and if I plateau and my weight is not increasing I can increase the cals? I dont mind figuring out the complicated bits!

Yeah I have been focusing on strength gain, but Ive measured my weight and looked in the mirror and seem to have gotten fatter :/ If I'm getting stronger I'm putting on muscle right?
How about if I lower my current intake, and if I plateau and my weight is not increasing I can increase the cals? I dont mind figuring out the complicated bits!

Yeah I have been focusing on strength gain, but Ive measured my weight and looked in the mirror and seem to have gotten fatter :/ If I'm getting stronger I'm putting on muscle right?

Yes that'll work (that's what I'm suggesting).
The complicated bits, to me, are what you were talking about in your OP. You could do all of that if you want to but it just gets confusing and isn't of any great benefit for the average gym goer.

Broadly speaking, yes you're putting on muscle (although there is a degree of increased neural efficiency),
Is your BMI healthy? Can you walk the same distance as you used to without getting out of breath? Do you feel fit?
If you were indeed bulking by 100-150 calories per day then that is 1/4lb a week. So around 1/8th of a lb would be the fat gain per week.... So i can't really see how the fat gain would be so significant (for you to notice).
I'd advise you to eat a touch above your TDEE so like 1900 and see if you plateau. If you are gaining 1/2 lb a week then you'll be bulking by 250 per day so your TDEE is being exaggerated by MFP etc.... And vice versa.

Can't you try and ride the slightly chubby stage out as you'll be wanting to surely cut in Spring time?
Reply 8
Original post by Unistudent77
If you were indeed bulking by 100-150 calories per day then that is 1/4lb a week. So around 1/8th of a lb would be the fat gain per week.... So i can't really see how the fat gain would be so significant (for you to notice).
I'd advise you to eat a touch above your TDEE so like 1900 and see if you plateau. If you are gaining 1/2 lb a week then you'll be bulking by 250 per day so your TDEE is being exaggerated by MFP etc.... And vice versa.

Can't you try and ride the slightly chubby stage out as you'll be wanting to surely cut in Spring time?

I gained 8 pounds over two months (including the christmas period where I slacked with my tracking)

Should I calculate TDEE with or without the exercise input?

And so a half pound increase in weight per week means Im eating approx 250 above my TDEE?
Reply 9
Yes that'll work (that's what I'm suggesting).
The complicated bits, to me, are what you were talking about in your OP. You could do all of that if you want to but it just gets confusing and isn't of any great benefit for the average gym goer.

Broadly speaking, yes you're putting on muscle (although there is a degree of increased neural efficiency),
Is your BMI healthy? Can you walk the same distance as you used to without getting out of breath? Do you feel fit?

Ah ok, sorry, I misunderstood!

I feel healthier but my BMI is teetering on the upper edge of normal!!
Ah ok, sorry, I misunderstood!

I feel healthier but my BMI is teetering on the upper edge of normal!!

Bmi means absolutely nothing in your quest.
I gained 8 pounds over two months (including the christmas period where I slacked with my tracking)

Should I calculate TDEE with or without the exercise input?

And so a half pound increase in weight per week means Im eating approx 250 above my TDEE?

Well if we exclude water weight etc then you have bulked by 500 calories a day to put on 1lb a week.
There are 3,500 calories in a pound, so hence 7 x 500 = 3,500.

My conclusion would be Christmas can be attributed to a fair bit of that.

I reckon what you were bulking at (1950 calories) was about right but over christmas you were above that prompting unnecessary fat gain.

When i initially bulked by 1lb a week (surplus of 500 a day) i found i was putting on too much fat too.

So i'd suggest that you were about right with your calories before, however, it would maybe be better to eat slightly less than that for a few weeks. So like eat consistently 1800-1850 per day and your fat gain will be minimal and still gaining strength.

I wouldn't change your surplus depending on whether you trained or not. On training days maybe make an extra effort to be in surplus but on rest days i'd still eat slightly above.

You'll be looking to cut soonish anyway? (Spring time) so i would continue a very slow bulk going forward.
So i would include exercise when calculating your TDEE.

Yes, 250 above = 1/2 lb gain.

It's up to you. If you are stressing over how you look then cut for a month and you'd look much leaner. However, i'd recommend keeping it going for a bit more and then cut later on.
It's your call.

Quick Reply

Latest