The Student Room Group

5 A Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thomas-cowley
Hi everybody,

I will be starting my A Levels this September and have been thinking about the following:

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Biology
Chemistry

I was wondering if anyone who has taken five A Levels regrets it and if anyone had any advice for me.

Don't do five - no-one on this thread has done the new specifications.

Where I teach [high performing state school] no-one is doing 5 now - even those with straight A*s [and we get quite a few of those].

The new AS levels don't contribute towards your A level so 5 will be too much.
Reply 21
Hi everybody,

I will be starting my A Levels this September and have been thinking about the following:

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Biology
Chemistry

I was wondering if anyone who has taken five A Levels regrets it and if anyone had any advice for me.

I took 5, however dropped 1 just before Christmas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow. That's amazing! It must be a great feeling to know that all of your hard work paid off. :biggrin: What are you studying at Uni?

Don't worry about the workload tbh its about working smarter not harder. Its basically down to finding your own efficient revision technique, and poof you've got time to hang out with friends and have a life and still do well at school.
Im studying medicine:smile: and btw if you're interested in bio subjects for uni, you can basically just wing it with physics and FM so take it easy mate.
There is literally no point doing 5 A levels - it won't get you a place at uni ahead of those taking 3 A levels/4 AS levels. You will just be giving yourself more work to do for no reason. It is better to concentrate on getting higher marks on 3/4 subjects.
I'm hoping to do 5, also including maths and further maths. As people in my school who are doing further maths do the full A Level in Year 12, it's only four A Levels in year 13 so is slightly more manageable than 5 A Levels taken in Year 13. Obviously it's still a risk, and if you REALLY want to do all of those subjects, you need to work put if it's a risk you're willing to take. If you think you'll regret not trying to do five, it might be better to start out with five, knowing that you can drop one if you need to.

If you haven't already, you might want to ask someone at your school who knows how you're doing and see what they think - personally, my head of year and a couple of teachers I've mentioned it to think I would be capable of doing 5 (while all my friends think I'm crazy).
Reply 25
Original post by Lelanor
I'm hoping to do 5, also including maths and further maths. As people in my school who are doing further maths do the full A Level in Year 12, it's only four A Levels in year 13 so is slightly more manageable than 5 A Levels taken in Year 13.

Obviously it's still a risk, and if you REALLY want to do all of those subjects, you need to work put if it's a risk you're willing to take. If you think you'll regret not trying to do five, it might be better to start out with five, knowing that you can drop one if you need to.

If you haven't already, you might want to ask someone at your school who knows how you're doing and see what they think - personally, my head of year and a couple of teachers I've mentioned it to think I would be capable of doing 5 (while all my friends think I'm crazy).

False. You are not exactly doing 4 A levels worth of work in year 13, as the amount of FM work you do is double what someone doing just A2 level Maths is doing, in order to complete the full FM A level in a single year. So you are effectively doing 5 A levels worth of work still.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Makadia
False. You are not exactly doing 4 A levels worth of work in year 13, as the amount of FM work you do is double what someone doing just A2 level Maths is doing, in order to complete the full FM A level in a single year. So you are effectively doing 5 A levels worth of work still.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not entirely false - I said slightly more manageable, as in, you have exams for four A Levels to take. It is obviously still going to be a lot of work but if you did 5 linear A Levels, taking all your exams at the end of Year 13, it would be a lot more work leading up to exams, and more exams than this arrangement.

Spoiler

Thanks everyone for your advice!

At my School Further Maths takes up two options (making it 5 overall).
Chemistry is my least favorite, so I think I'll be removing that one. (Plus I only got an A at GCSE last year)

Im in a similar situation to you in that I also wish to do 5 A Levels , but apparently you should try to include one essay based subject in your options to show depth in your skills, especially if you intend to do 5. Like I want to do History, French, Economics, Politics and Maths. I got told to switch Eng Lit for Maths to show that I have a range of skills but idk. If you can handle a lot of work then 5 should be good but otherwise I think it might prove to be quite difficult.
Reply 28
Original post by Lelanor
It's not entirely false - I said slightly more manageable, as in, you have exams for four A Levels to take. It is obviously still going to be a lot of work but if you did 5 linear A Levels, taking all your exams at the end of Year 13, it would be a lot more work leading up to exams, and more exams than this arrangement.

Spoiler

Apologies. It's just something I have picked up from where I go college. Sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louisb19
I do 5 A levels.

I don't regret it however It would be nice to have time when I'm not studying. Only take it on if you are prepared to spend the whole year working hard!

Which A-Levels do you do? Sorry if I sound nosy, but It would be nice to know what subjects are effort requiring :smile:
Original post by Black Magic
I wouldn't recommend doing four subjects as you will likely struggle to do all of the work - it is very hard going. Also, the ones you are thinking about are particularly demanding so you should be very sure that you want to do them and are passionate about science. This is fine if you see yourself going down this career path but not if you are unsure what you want to do in later years. May I suggest that you take a more creative subject as this could give you a break in-between science and can also be very rewarding.

Just saying up until this year almost everyone did 4 and many people did 5 with further maths as well, lol it's nothing too special or uncommon

I did 6 ASs although didn't do FM (which I'm doing this year instead as self taught) and got As across the board. I'm lazy and didn't work till March. Sciences are v manageable lol
Do not do it if you want a life outside studying.
Reply 32
Original post by hxfsxh
Im in a similar situation to you in that I also wish to do 5 A Levels , but apparently you should try to include one essay based subject in your options to show depth in your skills, especially if you intend to do 5. Like I want to do History, French, Economics, Politics and Maths. I got told to switch Eng Lit for Maths to show that I have a range of skills but idk. If you can handle a lot of work then 5 should be good but otherwise I think it might prove to be quite difficult.

It's great to hear that someone else is in a similar situation! :smile:
That's interesting about taking an essay based subject - I'm awful at English and didn't take History at GCSE level, essay based subjects aren't really my thing. Good luck with your choices!
Reply 33
3 A-Levels is killing me, I don't understand how people can do more

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's great to hear that someone else is in a similar situation! :smile:
That's interesting about taking an essay based subject - I'm awful at English and didn't take History at GCSE level, essay based subjects aren't really my thing. Good luck with your choices!

Likewise, good luck with your choices too :smile:
Reply 35
Pointless, no university ever asks for 5. Imperial/Oxbridge sometimes ask for 4, and even that is rare.
Reply 36
Original post by Andy98
3 A-Levels is killing me, I don't understand how people can do more

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which A Levels are you taking? :biggrin:
Original post by Adeel Ali
Do not do it if you want a life outside studying.

If you do it right you can have a life while staying on track.
Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed
If you do it right you can have a life while staying on track.

Not as much of a life though. I'd consider doing three lol. I'm the lazy type though. If your really REALLY motivated then I say go for it. If you can't handle it in the first few weeks then you can always drop a subject..
First of all: A-levels are NOTHING like gcse's and you can never be prepared for the leap between GCSE'S and AS until you actually experience it yourself. I feel like you have undermined this HUGE difference.
5 alevels means you get NO free lessons. Free lessons are very vital, I believe. I get most of my work done in free lessons so when I get home, I can revise instead. Without these frees I would genuinely be doing work 24/7. My friend did five lessons at the beginning and then dropped out of two of them because it was too stressful midway through the year.
Be very wise with your choices, NO university asks for 4 a-levels let alone 5.

Quick Reply

Latest