The Student Room Group

Two questions for A Level maths

Hi,
Last year I did my AS maths and got a C, which was really disappointing as I was hoping for at least a B. Having received my uni offers, I have two questions about how to get my C to a B at the end of this year.
1) Is this calculator allowed in A Level Edexcel maths exams? - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-991DE-Scientific-Calculator-Natural/dp/B0050OTQ42/ref=sr_1_1?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1453162816&sr=8-1&keywords=casio+calculator+german

2) Considering I now feel fairly confident on all of AS apart from S1, how many hours per topic (as an estimate) do you think it will take to get my B/A predicted grade and how would I do it without running out of past paper questions for closer to the exams?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Yes that calculator is allowed
Reply 2
Original post by mnaj123
Hi,
Last year I did my AS maths and got a C, which was really disappointing as I was hoping for at least a B. Having received my uni offers, I have two questions about how to get my C to a B at the end of this year.
1) Is this calculator allowed in A Level Edexcel maths exams? - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-991DE-Scientific-Calculator-Natural/dp/B0050OTQ42/ref=sr_1_1?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1453162816&sr=8-1&keywords=casio+calculator+german

2) Considering I now feel fairly confident on all of AS apart from S1, how many hours per topic (as an estimate) do you think it will take to get my B/A predicted grade and how would I do it without running out of past paper questions for closer to the exams?

Thanks

Calculator?
I do not know if it is allowed but I can tell you you will be wasting your money

12 hours per week (approximately) from now until the AS exams in May

Good luck
Original post by TeeEm
Calculator?
I do not know if it is allowed but I can tell you you will be wasting your money

Good luck

How come you say it's a waste of money? I have a similar one which I bought for a tiny bit cheaper, and it's been very nice because of all the functions

(although saying that, I probably enjoy it because I use it for things outside of A level)
Reply 4
Original post by Student403
How come you say it's a waste of money? I have a similar one which I bought for a tiny bit cheaper, and it's been very nice because of all the functions

(although saying that, I probably enjoy it because I use it for things outside of A level)

such as?
Original post by TeeEm
such as?

I took the American SAT (and SAT subject test) which made use of a lot of the stats functions and due to it's MCQ nature the polynomial solver is completely acceptable without any working.
Reply 6
I took the American SAT (and SAT subject test) which made use of a lot of the stats functions and due to it's MCQ nature the polynomial solver is completely acceptable without any working.

this person is not sitting the American SAT, but sure
Original post by TeeEm
this person is not sitting the American SAT, but sure

Yeah fair enough :smile: Do you think such functions come in useful at university?
Reply 8
Yes that calculator is allowed

Ok, thanks, I would've thought that the extra functions made it illegal in exams. So it will be definitely allowed?
Original post by mnaj123
Ok, thanks, I would've thought that the extra functions made it illegal in exams. So it will be definitely allowed?

Even graphing calculators are allowed.

They actually plot lines of regression
Reply 10
Original post by TeeEm
Calculator?

Good luck

So 2 or 3 hrs a day will be enough?
Reply 11
Yeah fair enough :smile: Do you think such functions come in useful at university?

I did maths and never needed a calculator at University.
(top universities do not allow a calculator)
Those Universities that do they only allow only one specific model and this one is not one of them
Original post by TeeEm
I did maths and never needed a calculator at University.
(top universities do not allow a calculator)
Those Universities that do they only allow only one specific model and this one is not one of them

Oh wow. Okay thanks for the info
Reply 13
Original post by mnaj123
So 2 or 3 hrs a day will be enough?

if it is every day, definitely
Reply 14
Oh wow. Okay thanks for the info

no worries
Reply 15
Even graphing calculators are allowed.
They actually plot lines of regression

Oh, really?! I thought they were definitely illegal.
So I can have this for my Edexcel A Level exams?
Original post by mnaj123
Oh, really?! I thought they were definitely illegal.
So I can have this for my Edexcel A Level exams?

I took this in to my C3 exam. I don't recommend buying one though specifically for A level. It's only going to waste your time in the exam needlessly typing out things. Also I think it defeats the purpose of learning those parts of the spec
Reply 17
I took this in to my C3 exam. I don't recommend buying one though specifically for A level. It's only going to waste your time in the exam needlessly typing out things. Also I think it defeats the purpose of learning those parts of the spec

Alright, thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by mnaj123
Alright, thanks for your help :smile:

All the best :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by TeeEm
Calculator?

Good luck

How come you say it's a waste of money?

Probably not relevant but you can buy those for a little under 8 GBP where I live :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest