The Student Room Group

Should I report my uni flatmates?

So my flatmates do drugs, not a big deal. There are 7 of us, 1 is quite hardcore, 1 is only just getting into it and 2 are fairly casual. It has never really interferred with my life so I've always just left them to it.
Now our flat has been reported (apparently quite a few times) for smelling out our building with weed - you can follow the smell to our door. In the past 2 weeks they've used made weed brownies twice, showing no sympathy to the 3 of us who detest the smell. 1 of the girls who doesn't smoke is too embarassed to invite her friends around.
Them doing drugs has never really bothered me before, but now it is starting to interfere. Walking into the flat makes me gag and I keep hearing of all the other flats getting police searches and wondering if we'll be next.
There are 3 of us who want to report them. I've said we should wait until they make more brownies but I'm worried that when it gets to that stage I still won't do anything in case my flatmates find out.
Don't get me wrong, they're all nice people, their lifestyle doesn't bug me but now it's starting to intefere with mine.
Is it worth reporting them to the uni, even if they'll get kicked out, just to get rid of a smell?

Scroll to see replies

Report them now. Mercy is not permitted in a situation like this. I would not want to be sharing a flat with druggies, even if it is something minor like weed. Just get them kicked out already.
Definitely. And if that doesn't work, it may be worth asking to move.
Talk to them first, if they don't come round maybe threaten to report them (if you feel confident enough) and then ofcourse if they still dont come round report them, I'd be wary of reporting them straight away as lots of unis have a 0 tolerance policy and will kick people out on their first offence for drugs so you could potentially ruining their lifes. Make sure its a thought out decision.

Original post by Anonymous
So my flatmates do drugs, not a big deal. There are 7 of us, 1 is quite hardcore, 1 is only just getting into it and 2 are fairly casual. It has never really interferred with my life so I've always just left them to it.
Now our flat has been reported (apparently quite a few times) for smelling out our building with weed - you can follow the smell to our door. In the past 2 weeks they've used made weed brownies twice, showing no sympathy to the 3 of us who detest the smell. 1 of the girls who doesn't smoke is too embarassed to invite her friends around.
Them doing drugs has never really bothered me before, but now it is starting to interfere. Walking into the flat makes me gag and I keep hearing of all the other flats getting police searches and wondering if we'll be next.
There are 3 of us who want to report them. I've said we should wait until they make more brownies but I'm worried that when it gets to that stage I still won't do anything in case my flatmates find out.
Don't get me wrong, they're all nice people, their lifestyle doesn't bug me but now it's starting to intefere with mine.
Is it worth reporting them to the uni, even if they'll get kicked out, just to get rid of a smell?
Reply 4
I think you should report them as they are by the sounds of it starting to disrupt all of you and thats not fair. You should be able to bring your mates round without being embarrassed.
I disagree with all of the previous replies. You should just mind your own business. Your role as a uni student is to study. If you are at a good uni then make use of the facilities there like the cafe, libraries and tutorial rooms to catch up on your studying. you only return back to your dorm room to have your shower and sleep.

speaking to the drug takers in your flat is not a good idea. in their intoxicated state of mind they may do something harmful to you. the last thing you need is to jeopardize your safety. in the worse possible scenario, go and survey a few other flats and if all is well, move into the new flat.
Original post by Anonymous

Sit down with them and say your weed smells too strong, NON NON. It stops or me reporty. Simple
Report them. Its illegal - and you know it is.

If you don't, you may get caught up in this when they are discovered because it will be assumed you are involved.
Original post by Audrey18
in their intoxicated state of mind they may do something harmful to you. the last thing you need is to jeopardize your safety

*sigh*

they're doing weed not heroin :biggrin:
Reply 9
I disagree with all of the previous replies. You should just mind your own business. Your role as a uni student is to study. If you are at a good uni then make use of the facilities there like the cafe, libraries and tutorial rooms to catch up on your studying. you only return back to your dorm room to have your shower and sleep.

OP has paid for his/her room and is entitled to use it comfortably.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reporting them = ruining career aspirations.
I recommend you speak to them about it, and if they are indifferent to what you say, then consider reporting them. Don't do it without having a word with them since that could be effective, saving you a lot of trouble.
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Reporting them = ruining career aspirations.
I recommend you speak to them about it, and if they are indifferent to what you say, then consider reporting them. Don't do it without having a word with them since that could be effective, saving you a lot of trouble.

I don't agree. People should take responsibility for their own actions. If you're at university and you have big aspirations in your career then I would recommend working hard and taking it seriously, not sitting around getting high. Maybe getting thrown out or a warning that if they do it again they will get thrown out would be a good thing for them.
It's making your life miserable by having to live amongst it so you are within your rights to do something about it. It's not fair on you to be the one who is expected to accept their behaviour. You have two other friends who are feeling the same so at least the three of you can go together.

OP, is this university accommodation or is it private accommodation? As in are you renting it from a landlord or is it uni provided?

Potentially as a first level you could speak to a student union rep/officer and discuss the options? Then at least you have started to formally speak up but it isn't really serious. They might be able to intervene to give them a warning. It also makes sure that if your flat does get in trouble, you 3 who aren't involved won't get in trouble as well.

speaking to the drug takers in your flat is not a good idea. in their intoxicated state of mind they may do something harmful to you. the last thing you need is to jeopardize your safety. in the worse possible scenario, go and survey a few other flats and if all is well, move into the new flat.

So because their flatmates are doing something illegal and antisocial they have to avoid being in their own flat? University is a place to study but that doesn't mean they have to put up with this kind of crap

And it is the OPs business- it is where they live. And if it is true that their flatmates might attack them if they try and talk to them- all the more reason to do something about it- living with unstable flatmates is hardly conducive to good study.

As for those who say it is just a little weed- clearly it is not " just a little" and the implication is that at least one of the flatmates is "hardcore" which implies more than weed to me.

If the flat has already been reported it is only a matter of time before it is reported again.

I don't think the OP needs to feel guilty about reporting them- if that is what feels the best route to take- he/she has been more than tolerant and these people are clearly taking the piss. If your university has a zero tolerance then that is not the OPs fault is it.

If they feel talking to them might help they could try but it doesn't sound as if that would be helpful.

Your flatmates won't know who reported them- you are hardly being a "snitch" ( although I haven't heard that since the playground) You are just not willing to have such a poor quality of life.

I don't give a monkeys about people smoking weed- that isn't what this is about. It is the fact that these flatmates don't give a damn about anyone else and the consequences of what they are doing- part of going to University is about learning to behave like a reasonable human being and that includes thinking about how what you do effects others.
(edited 8 years ago)
The state of some of the replies ITT...

Just ask them to smoke outside and chill inside because of the smell. that should be enough.
Original post by returnmigrant
Report them. Its illegal - and you know it is.

If you don't, you may get caught up in this when they are discovered because it will be assumed you are involved.

Oh really? Whatever happened to 'guilt being proven beyond a reasonable doubt'?

Original post by fr0sr_
*sigh*

they're doing weed not heroin :biggrin:

you wouldn't know for sure. they could have done both or had alcohol before, after or with weed and heroin. Why take a chance?

Could you give me the numbers to the next Lotto draw? thanks.

Original post by PangXie
OP has paid for his/her room and is entitled to use it comfortably.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by watchingyouwatch
So because their flatmates are doing something illegal and antisocial they have to avoid being in their own flat? University is a place to study but that doesn't mean they have to put up with this kind of crap

And it is the OPs business- it is where they live. And if it is true that their flatmates might attack them if they try and talk to them- all the more reason to do something about it- living with unstable flatmates is hardly conducive to good study.

As for those who say it is just a little weed- clearly it is not " just a little" and the implication is that at least one of the flatmates is "hardcore" which implies more than weed to me.

If the flat has already been reported it is only a matter of time before it is reported again.

I don't think the OP needs to feel guilty about reporting them- if that is what feels the best route to take- he/she has been more than tolerant and these people are clearly taking the piss. If your university has a zero tolerance then that is not the OPs fault is it.

If they feel talking to them might help they could try but it doesn't sound as if that would be helpful.

Your flatmates won't know who reported them- you are hardly being a "snitch" ( although I haven't heard that since the playground) You are just not willing to have such a poor quality of life.

I don't give a monkeys about people smoking weed- that isn't what this is about. It is the fact that these flatmates don't give a damn about anyone else and the consequences of what they are doing- part of going to University is about learning to behave like a reasonable human being and that includes thinking about how what you do effects others.

hi OP. could you please get @PangXie and @watchingyouwatch mobile numbers? When you get attacked by your flatmates for asking them about their drug habit or reporting them to your uni's authorities, both @PangXie and @watchingyouwatch will rush to where you are to protect your from harm and danger.

you wouldn't know for sure. they could have done both or had alcohol before, after or with weed and heroin. Why take a chance?

hi OP. could you please get @PangXie and @watchingyouwatch mobile numbers? When you get attacked by your flatmates for asking them about their drug habit or reporting them to your uni's authorities, both @PangXie and @watchingyouwatch will rush to where you are to protect your from harm and danger.

Your responses are incoherent and ill thought out. They can report it anonymously. Anyone who visits their flat could report these people, or people in neighbouring flats- it doesn't have to necessarily be the OP. Stop fearmongering unnecessarily and be rational about it. In life in every situation there is a worst case scenario and it seems as though you automatically leap to the most extreme negative outcome. Just because that's a possibility it doesn't mean it's at all likely.

You wouldn't know for sure that they're doing anything harder than weed, now would you? Works both ways.

If you drink heavily after smoking weed, lets just say you're not a threat to anyone. Chances are you'll almost be immobile and just chunder.

Don't get why you're even sending whiny responses, seeing as I'm saying that OP should just leave it as is? lmao.
Not in fear of the 'big bad weed smokers' but because it's not a big deal.

You do strike me as the sort who buys lotto tickets.. :h:
(edited 8 years ago)

Ffs it's only weed. They're not gonna kill him if he tells them to stop a dirty habit.
Report them. You shouldn't have to put up with that. I'm all for people doing whatever the f*** they want with their bodies because its none of my business how they choose to live their life, but if it started to effect my life and my education I wouldn't hesitate in reporting them. It's not fair on you.

First of all- You have no idea how his flatmates will react if he tries to talk to them- neither do I-which is why I said they had to decide for themselves if that was a good idea.

Second- You seem to be suggesting that because there is a chance that their flatmates are even more unpleasant than described- i.e. violent and aggressive -they should not report them. So the OP must continue to live with these antisocial jerks and put with all sorts of **** because they might do something to him?

What kind of crap advise is that ? You may want to live like that-but most sensible people don't just keep taking crap for fear of some vague potential threat.

The flatmates won't know he reported them

Latest