The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Should also get fined if they think it's acceptable to put your bag next to you on a busy carriage. And they should also be fined for sitting at a four person table and it's just one person sitting there hogging it. IF YOU DO ANY OF THE THINGS I MENTIONED, YOU ARE THE TYPE OF PERSON WHO WANTS TO SEE THE WORLD BURN.
Reply 2
definitely
(totally unacceptable)
Yes. People should get fined for many other things as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Yes. They should also get fined for putting their bag on an empty seat when the train's full or other similar selfish behaviour.
Directly on the seats, yes. If, however, you have your bag or a suitable amount of newspaper between your shoes and the seat, then no.
Definitely. It's time for us to put our foot down.
A fine is definitely a step too far, I can understand warnings being made and perhaps a fine if the problem with certain people continues but right off the bat for something so minor is an overreaction
Original post by Gherk
Yes. They should also get fined for putting their bag on an empty seat when the train's full or other similar selfish behaviour.

No, learn to stand without moaning.

Original post by jobra09
Should also get fined if they think it's acceptable to put your bag next to you on a busy carriage. And they should also be fined for sitting at a four person table and it's just one person sitting there hogging it. IF YOU DO ANY OF THE THINGS I MENTIONED, YOU ARE THE TYPE OF PERSON WHO WANTS TO SEE THE WORLD BURN.

No you're just searching for reasons to moan.

Original post by Pickles
A bloke up in Liverpool was fined £50 for having his feet on the seat in front.

Do you think people should get fined for putting their feet on train seats?

No that's ridiculous.
Anyone eating hot food on any train whatsoever - fine.

Talking too loudly - fine.

Baby keeps crying - fine.

Use of cellular communication device to hold loud conversation - fine and explusion from service at next stop.

Walking pointlessly up and down carriage when crowded for no good reason - fine and expulsion.

Failing to flush toilet after self - sentenced to two years cleaning train toilets.
We already pay ridiculous ticket prices for trains that are late or cancelled all of the time, this is just another way to get money out of people :angry:
In an ideal world where I'm president, they'd receive a £200 fine and get kicked off the train and be banned from all public transport for two years (they can reverse this ban by paying a further fine of £1000). I take this issue very seriously. Placing one's dirty shoes upon the seats on buses and trains is an extremely disgusting habit. It ruins the seats and affects other people. We need to crack down on such uncivilised behaviour. If someone wants to be an uncivilised savage and place their dirty shoes on some furniture, they can do it in their own home where it won't affect other people.

I see this uncivilised behaviour not only on buses and trains but also in lecture theatres, seminar rooms at university, coffee shops, and many other places. It's utterly disgusting and completely uncivilised.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Anyone eating hot food on any train whatsoever - fine.

Not draconian enough. When people have a whole takeaway spread out over one of the table and the entire carriage smells of chinese/indian/McDonalds.... :afraid:

Also: Listening to music through headphones too loudly so everyone else can hear the scratchy scratchy noise- fine and immediate expulsion, with two year ban on owning portable music devices.
This thread is full of train fascists.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Not draconian enough. When people have a whole takeaway spread out over one of the table and the entire carriage smells of chinese/indian/McDonalds.... :afraid:

Also: Listening to music through headphones too loudly so everyone else can hear the scratchy scratchy noise- fine and immediate expulsion, with two year ban on owning portable music devices.

:yep: It's just awful sometimes. The one I hate is the massive stinky subway roll being noshed at whilst said noshee is also loudly shouting into mobe and apologising for tunnels... :angry: That guy needs to feel the force of the law.

EDIT: It could also be a Greggs. :eek:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Savage R3N3GAD3
In an ideal world where I'm president, they'd receive a £200 fine and get kicked off the train and be banned from all public transport for two years (they can reverse this ban by paying a further fine of £1000). I take this issue very seriously. Placing one's dirty shoes upon the seats on buses and trains is an extremely disgusting habit. It ruins the seats and affects other people. We need to crack down on such uncivilised behaviour. If someone wants to be an uncivilised savage and place their dirty shoes on some furniture, they can do it in their own home where it won't affect other people.

I see this uncivilised behaviour not only on buses and trains but also in lecture theatres, seminar rooms at university, coffee shops, and many other places. It's utterly disgusting and completely uncivilised.

What if people take their shoes off?
Original post by Dr Pesto
This thread is full of train fascists.

We are simply purists who want a peaceful, clean and odour-free train journey. :smug:

Secretly, we would all prefer to live in Germany, but we are stuck here. :lol:
Original post by EtherealNymph22
What if people take their shoes off?

As long as their socks and feet are clean and aren't excessively sweaty, and as long as they're not going to make the seats dirty, then that's completely fine.

But they never seem to remove their shoes unfortunately. They just don't care.
Reply 18
Original post by ComputerMaths97
No, learn to stand without moaning.

No you're just searching for reasons to moan.

No that's ridiculous.

I thought my reply would be taken with good humour with the obvious sarcasm and exaggeration. Obviously not I suppose.

In contrast to many people I think people should get fined, it isn't your property you do not rightfully own the train and we all have a degree of responsibility when using it.
Original post by Savage R3N3GAD3
As long as their socks and feet are clean and aren't excessively sweaty, and as long as they're not going to make the seats dirty, then that's completely fine.

But they never seem to remove their shoes unfortunately. They just don't care.

Nice accommodation and consistency of standards :wink:. Agreed. I put my feet up on trains especially when I'm balling in first class but I ALWAYS take my shoes off and have lovely pretty feet and nice socks. In fact the train man never says anything so I'm guessing it's more the shoe thing that's the issue, not the concept of putting feet up.

Latest