The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foo.mp3
As someone who has ME/CFS, has been in and out of education in another city over many years, and lacks own transport , I must confess that I have, on more than one occasion, put my feet up. That said, I'd never do so with dirty shoes, and don't believe I've ever left a mark or owt. Occasionally I'd pop me shoes off but then you're into pongy feet territory, which is arguably more antisocial! :mmm:

I believe a fine is legit if the shoes are dirty and especially where the seat is clearly dirty as a result. I'm also aware that inspectors jobs are difficult, and increasingly dangerous, enough without them having to get in the faces of us yobos over putting our feet up, however

Some people are always in a hurry :ashamed2:

Agreed

Does this include tube beggars? (awky)

Haha, true. Don't think this has ever happened to me, however. What has happened is failing to lock one of those disabled bog doors and someone opening it while I was in there! (fortunately I had finished my business so the embarrassment was all theirs) :laugh:

Fair point but does that mean we have a right to undermine the travel experience for other passengers e.g. discovering gum/dog doodoo on their trousers/skirts?

A Guardianista who yearns for tight German order, discipline, and efficiency? Does not compute

I see what you mean though I think they are other things undermining the travel experience that need to take higher priority over shoes on seats. The other day I was on a train and this group of 3 guys and one girl were trying to get away from a drunk woman who was harassing them. They sat next to me and she joined and sat opposite, she was hitting them, putting her jacket over on of their heads and was screaming at me for not accepting one of her sweets. She also grabbed a woman trying to get off the train and pinned her down so she missed her stop. When the train officer came along to see what was going on, he backed down to her and simply got off the train at the next stop. I've also been harassed many times by drunk guys on trains, with them sitting on my lap and being obscene, I would rather see people behaving this way receiving a fine personally.
Original post by EtherealNymph22
Nice accommodation and consistency of standards :wink:. Agreed. I put my feet up on trains especially when I'm balling in first class but I ALWAYS take my shoes off and have lovely pretty feet and nice socks. In fact the train man never says anything so I'm guessing it's more the shoe thing that's the issue, not the concept of putting feet up.

That's very good, I respect you, well done :smile: I wish everyone would be like you! Then the world would be a much better place :smile: well, at least the world of public transport.

Yes, you are right of course. The problem isn't putting feet up, it's dirty shoes ruining the seats and making them dirty :smile: you're right
Original post by Savage R3N3GAD3
That's very good, I respect you, well done :smile: I wish everyone would be like you! Then the world would be a much better place :smile: well, at least the world of public transport.

Yes, you are right of course. The problem isn't putting feet up, it's dirty shoes ruining the seats and making them dirty :smile: you're right

And also I take them down at stops incase anyone wants to sit opposite or sit on the seat next to the opposite seat. And if someone is sitting on the table on the diagonal I wouldn't put my feet up next to them. It's only when I have a table seat to myself (often the case in first class on non peak services) that I slip my shoes off, sit back, and enjoy the ride :wink:
Original post by Foo.mp3

A Guardianista who yearns for tight German order, discipline, and efficiency? Does not compute

German railways are pretty much the model for how to run a public service properly, even though DB are a private corporation, they work properly with the government to deliver a first rate national service to a high and consistent standard and the government run it with commitment to big public subsidy and a highly professional approach.

Compare and contrast with our chaotic system, mainly built around the need to serve the cashcow ToCs with endless and ill-deserved dollops of public cash, whilst constantly increasing the fares and cutting many important services that clash with their profit models. Designed for us by the Tory Party. (TM)
Original post by jobra09
Should also get fined if they think it's acceptable to put your bag next to you on a busy carriage. And they should also be fined for sitting at a four person table and it's just one person sitting there hogging it. IF YOU DO ANY OF THE THINGS I MENTIONED, YOU ARE THE TYPE OF PERSON WHO WANTS TO SEE THE WORLD BURN.

Err :getmecoat:

Spoiler

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Anyone eating hot food on any train whatsoever - fine.

Talking too loudly - fine.

Baby keeps crying - fine.

Use of cellular communication device to hold loud conversation - fine and explusion from service at next stop.

Walking pointlessly up and down carriage when crowded for no good reason - fine and expulsion.

Failing to flush toilet after self - sentenced to two years cleaning train toilets.

Nope. People that get all wound up by babies annoy me. I'd kick you off the train.

One day that will be me. And I will feel terrible and incredibly self conscience for daring to keep the human race going.
So many people getting so angry here lol :lol:

It's fine by me (see what I did there?) as long as it ain't affecting anybody. If people have feet or bags on seats and are physically preventing people from sitting down by doing so, then there's a problem, but just having your feet up is not something that should be penalised ffs.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Nope. People that get all wound up by babies annoy me. I'd kick you off the train.

One day that will be me. And I will feel terrible and incredibly self conscience for daring to keep the human race going.

I know. :smile: I was kind of teasing. Sometimes though it really can be gruelling. I mean, I adore babies, but that cry is designed to make us pay attention to them and on a long journey - it can be tough. :sad:
If nobody wants to sit on the seat then I don't see why not? :dontknow:
I reckon if theres people who want to sit but theres no space because of your feet then yes you should be fined but if theres an empty carriage then you should.
That is so unhygienic,I just hate it when people do that.
The problem is people wiping dog crap etc. off their shoes onto the seat covers.

If you're going to create a bylaw to do something about it you need to make an easily understood bylaw that's going to catch people doing something that's clearly going to be provable... not result is unresolvable argument at a later date about how dirty their shoes were on that occasion or how sweaty/unhygienic their feet were if they took their shoes off.
No! Absolutely not! I often put my feet on train seats, and I always make sure that my shoes aren't too dirty before doing so! Plus, it's only ever the sides of my shoes or the back of them that touches that seat, not the underneath of them which is the dirtier part.
Yes. The seats on the Bakerloo lines are disgusting. People who put their feet up are basically worse than ISIS.
Yes. If a giant like me can tolerate small spaces then so can everyone else.

Original post by littlenorthernlass
No! Absolutely not! I often put my feet on train seats, and I always make sure that my shoes aren't too dirty before doing so! Plus, it's only ever the sides of my shoes or the back of them that touches that seat, not the underneath of them which is the dirtier part.

I'm so dissapointed.
£50 seems excessive. £25 fine
Original post by Pickles
A bloke up in Liverpool was fined £50 for having his feet on the seat in front.

Do you think people should get fined for putting their feet on train seats?

lol guy got conned. Train inspector has probably pocketed that 50 quid for himself.
Reply 37
No
Original post by Zweihander7
lol guy got conned. Train inspector has probably pocketed that 50 quid for himself.

It's not an 'on the spot' fine :rolleyes:

http://money.aol.co.uk/2016/01/07/train-passenger-fined-50-for-putting-feet-on-seats/
‘I had no idea it was something you could be fined for. I thought maybe they would give you a warning first,’ he said.

‘I paid the fine just to get it over and done with but only because it would be such a waste of my time pleading not guilty and having to go back to court to fight it. There’s no point for such a petty matter.’

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/06/train-passenger-gets-a-50-fine-for-putting-his-feet-up-on-the-seat-5605605/#ixzz3xh6rsO2T

---
Merseyrail spokesperson:
"There is still a problem with feet on seats and it is difficult to put a number on it. This happens every day, despite there being 18 stickers in each carriage and a poster."

http://money.aol.co.uk/2016/01/07/train-passenger-fined-50-for-putting-feet-on-seats/

Latest