The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The beast97
Hi, can someone please help me. I'm struggling on the application process to study medicine in Italy in english. Has anyone applied that could help?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=537

Have a look through here for international applicants and Italian university threads. Where in particular are you looking to apply?
You have to register and sit an exam called IMAT; you have to score high enoough to get into the medical school of your choice. Scores of all EU students (including Italians) are ranked and students get into medical shool based on their ranking. If you don't rank high enough, you don't get in. Non-EU students have a different ranking list that works in the same manner.

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/imat/about-imat/
Reply 3
So I sit the IMAT but do I need to get in touch with the difference universities or will they contact me after seeing my score?
Original post by The beast97
So I sit the IMAT but do I need to get in touch with the difference universities or will they contact me after seeing my score?

They have an online system similar to UCAS, but specific for medical school; when you register for the exam, you get all the details. You are not contacted by the medical schools and you don't need to contact them either, unless you have specific questions about the medical school or the course (which you should be able to find on their websites). If you rank high enough, you will be offered a place through the system. You have only a few days, about 3 days or so to confirm that you accept the offer; if you don't accept your offer within the alloted time, it goes to the next person on the ranking list who doesn't have a place and you lose your place.
Reply 5
Hi, Im also thinking about applying but was just wondering what Universities were the best? Ive heard really good things about Milan but does anyone know anything about Bari, Naples and Pavi?
Hi, I paste and answer I gave to a similar post:

"IMAT is to enter the public medicine courses taught in English. If you want, consider also to sit for entrance test of International MD Program in Milan (Vita-Salute San Raffaele) which gives you far more opportunities and a higher quality compared to other english medicine courses in Italy (likeBari, Naples or Pavia..) .

I say this being at fifth year of the IMDP and having read statistics and talked to people from other universities!

http://www.medicine.unisr.it/view.asp?id=11 if you want more info"

Hope this helps

Marco
Reply 7
Original post by marcomontagna
Hi, I paste and answer I gave to a similar post:

"IMAT is to enter the public medicine courses taught in English. If you want, consider also to sit for entrance test of International MD Program in Milan (Vita-Salute San Raffaele) which gives you far more opportunities and a higher quality compared to other english medicine courses in Italy (likeBari, Naples or Pavia..) .

I say this being at fifth year of the IMDP and having read statistics and talked to people from other universities!

http://www.medicine.unisr.it/view.asp?id=11 if you want more info"

Hope this helps

Marco

Hiya, Do you know anything about the medicine programme in Naples? I know that the ones in Milan and Rome are good but I cant seem to find anything about the others?
Hi Bee,

Students in Naples haven't written a lot publicly about their experiences there. However, at medschool.it, you can find some basic info, as well as on a Facebook group called "Naples-SUN Med Students 2015/2016".

Hope that helps
Reply 9
Original post by ErikCampano
Hi Bee,

Students in Naples haven't written a lot publicly about their experiences there. However, at medschool.it, you can find some basic info, as well as on a Facebook group called "Naples-SUN Med Students 2015/2016".

Hope that helps

Thanks a mil for reply :smile: will check it out.
You're welcome :smile:
Regarding the opportunities and quality of Pavia... Pavia is actually one of the few English medical school in Italy to have graduates at this point. One of my classmates in Pavia has made her Dissertation (Thesis) with Harvard, others spent an exchange year in top University Hospitals like Paris, Berlin (Charite':wink:, Vienna, another published a research paper in cooperation with Paris U. in J. of Neurooncology as first author. My best friend has just landed a 8000€ /month position in Orthopedics in Switzerland and overall Pavia was also ranked as #1 Medicine school in Italy this year (Censis ranks) and it's not the first time.

I am one of those graduates in Pavia and I am totally satisfied with the quality of teaching and opportunities that the University has provided to me. I am also especially glad I didn't have to pay the 19640€ tuition fee that you pay in San Raffaele (actually, in Pavia no one pays more then 4000€/yr).And just to remind everyone that San Raffaele was on the edge of closure in 2011 because of a financial problems they had. Immagine what those poor students who could have been thrown to the street after paying almost 20k a year without any degree and who can guarantee that it won't happen again?

I hope this counterbalances your argument a bit and that you can provide some more concrete examples of superiority of San Raffaele that would justify the X5 price tag you pay in tuition fees. Did you have any graduates already?

Original post by marcomontagna
... International MD Program in Milan (Vita-Salute San Raffaele) which gives you far more opportunities and a higher quality compared to other english medicine courses in Italy (likeBari, Naples or Pavia..) .

Marco
(edited 8 years ago)
The state University of Milan English-language International Medical School (not San Raffaele, a Catholic school) also has graduated doctors with fantastic published research and experiences abroad, and QS ranked Uni Milan medicine #1 in Italy. The cost is about the same as Pavia. University of Milan professors, by the way, sometimes do clinical research at San Raffaele.

As for Rome, Naples, and Bari, students have excellent reports from there, too. Rome-Tor Vergata, for example, has a fantastic student:teacher ratio of something like 3:1.

All of these state schools provide some of the strongest medical education in Europe. They also have remarkably diverse, international students, because the low price-tag allows nearly anyone to attend, regardless of financial circumstances.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Is there any agent who can able to help for Italy medicine admission?
Reply 14
Original post by Sella
Is there any agent who can able to help for Italy medicine admission?

Is there any agent in UK who can able to help for Italy medicine admission?
Original post by Bee_300
Hi, Im also thinking about applying but was just wondering what Universities were the best? Ive heard really good things about Milan but does anyone know anything about Bari, Naples and Pavi?

Hi Bee,
I'm an Italian girl studying in Milan but I did the A-level in the UK! I would recommend Milan and Pavia! Pavia is actually the best in Italy, the hospital is known as the best in the country as well! Also, it's a lovely city to study..not that big but you get everything you need to work hard and have fun without getting stressed...my sister is there and she loves it.
I wouldn't reccomend all the other ones as the universities are not very good, very badly organized, especially compared to UK universities.. as well as the English spoken by the teachers (awful really...you would struggle to understand). Milan and Pavia..go for them :smile:
The state University of Milan English-language International Medical School (not San Raffaele, a Catholic school) also has graduated doctors with fantastic published research and experiences abroad, and QS ranked Uni Milan medicine #1 in Italy. The cost is about the same as Pavia. University of Milan professors, by the way, sometimes do clinical research at San Raffaele.

As for Rome, Naples, and Bari, students have excellent reports from there, too. Rome-Tor Vergata, for example, has a fantastic student:teacher ratio of something like 3:1.

All of these state schools provide some of the strongest medical education in Europe. They also have remarkably diverse, international students, because the low price-tag allows nearly anyone to attend, regardless of financial circumstances.

I'm an Italian girl studying in Milan,
I would strongly recommend Milan (UNIMI-Humanitas and San Raffaele) and Pavia which is known as the best in Italy (either uni and hospital service)...also Pavia is the perfect student city where you can get everything you need to work hard and having fun without getting stressed.
I wouldn't choose Naples, Rome and Bari..I have some friends there and they struggle with the English spoken by the teachers, the universities (Especially Sapienza) are too big and badly organized..my best friend, for example,finds living in Rome extremely stressful as she spends hours on the bus, she says that buses and undergrounds are badly connected..and the city is very expensive.
Hi Giorgia2996,

What is your source saying that Pavia's hospital is the best in Italy?
San Raffaele in Milan is #1, according to the most-often-cited rankings of hospitals, those of La Repubblica newspaper.
Pavia is not ranked in the top 10.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi Giorgia2996,

What is your source saying that Pavia's hospital is the best in Italy?
San Raffaele in Milan is #1, according to the most-often-cited rankings of hospitals, those of La Repubblica newspaper.
Pavia is not ranked in the top 10.

Hi Erik,
Yes San Raffaele is incredibly good, but it's a private university and also the most expensive here...of course,if someone has the possibility to afford it..go for it, it's the excellence, but as a public one Pavia and Milan are very good as well.
In regards to the hospital ranked in the first 10, I don't know what to say...as Italian, I just know that it's considered an excellence for medicine here
Reply 19
Original post by Giorgia2996
Hi Bee,
I'm an Italian girl studying in Milan but I did the A-level in the UK! I would recommend Milan and Pavia! Pavia is actually the best in Italy, the hospital is known as the best in the country as well! Also, it's a lovely city to study..not that big but you get everything you need to work hard and have fun without getting stressed...my sister is there and she loves it.
I wouldn't reccomend all the other ones as the universities are not very good, very badly organized, especially compared to UK universities.. as well as the English spoken by the teachers (awful really...you would struggle to understand). Milan and Pavia..go for them :smile:

Thanks so much for your reply! It was really helpful :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending