The Student Room Group

I fall in love too easily with guys who show me a bit of kindness or affection

Is anyone else like this? If not, then do you have advice for me to stop being such a wuss?

I do think there is something psychological in this, I get attached very easily I think because I did not receive affection, approval or kindness from my father. When a man in my life shows me even a hint of these things I fall head over heels in love I can't stop thinking about them even when they reject me as it's always in a friendly or situation appropriate manner (e.g. my old boss, my old male counsellor, male friends etc.). Although the guys would never know it's not like I blow up their phones or harass them but on the quiet I'm absolutely heartbroken and obsessed.

I'm in my 20s now and I'm fed up of this. I've never been close to man in all my life. How can I stop acting like a fool so I can actually find a decent and healthy relationship?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Is anyone else like this? If not, then do you have advice for me to stop being such a wuss?

I do think there is something psychological in this, I get attached very easily I think because I did not receive affection, approval or kindness from my father. When a man in my life shows me even a hint of these things I fall head over heels in love I can't stop thinking about them even when they reject me as it's always in a friendly or situation appropriate manner (e.g. my old boss, my old male counsellor, male friends etc.). Although the guys would never know it's not like I blow up their phones or harass them but on the quiet I'm absolutely heartbroken and obsessed.

I'm in my 20s now and I'm fed up of this. I've never been close to man in all my life. How can I stop acting like a fool so I can actually find a decent and healthy relationship?

Really!!! :3

*gives cookie here here~ *

Did you fall for meh already? .-.

If only more girls were like you.....:frown:
Original post by zedeneye1

Lol at the desperation. Believe me you don't want a girl who falls in love so easily. Think about it for a moment, if she falls in love so easily, how long does it take her to fall out of love? Never go for a girl who throws herself at you, she probably does it to other guys as well.
Just find a guy as clingy as yourself.
Reply 5
Original post by Das Ich Man
Lol at the desperation. Believe me you don't want a girl who falls in love so easily. Think about it for a moment, if she falls in love so easily, how long does it take her to fall out of love? Never go for a girl who throws herself at you, she probably does it to other guys as well.

Falling out of love isn't always the same thing.

To the OP: Date multiple guys at the same time. Just go out and get to know them. Nothing more. You will soon find out most of them are affectionate towards you and youll end up desensitising yourself to it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zargabaath
Just find a guy as clingy as yourself.

There are plenty to choose from hehe
I'm absolutely disgusted at some of the immaturity shown in the replies to this thread. I know tsr has a youngish population but still.

OP, the issue you describe is both common and easy to relate to for many I'm sure. A lack of emotional support from parents can manifest itself in all kinds of ways in an adults personal life, or indeed any area of life. You are not wrong for feeling how you feel although I understand that it can be painful and confusing.

Sometimes the difficulty can remain even with counselling but it may still be worthwhile seeking some. I agree that seeking fulfilment in other areas of life such as hobbies and friends etc can help but all the same maybe some counselling could help.

Wishing you well.
Original post by Das Ich Man

Doesn't matter, had sex.
Aw I've been there OP I think the best thing you can do is as has been said focus on building a life for yourself and your future. Therapy may help too.

:hugs:
Original post by Longshot700
Doesn't matter, had sex.

:puke: nahh

It might stem from you not realising (on some deeper level)...

1. Guys being nice/polite to you doesn't mean they are interested in an intimate relationship with you.
2. You may value yourself so little that you find any guy who takes any interest in you/ shows any affection an attractive proposition, the rest is brain chemistry.

PS It may also be something to do with, not seeing flaws or forgiving flaws in the opposite sex too easily?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
I'm like that too.

Didn't have many people in my life who cared about me in the past so when I have a real friend I tend to care too much about them.
It's the same for girls, when a girl does something that shows she might be interested in me, it's like I'm interested too even though 10 minutes before I couldn't care less about her. Unfortunately most of the time the girl is just being a tease...

In response to what you wrote, I personally think there's nothing wrong in falling for others a little while it's really what us humans are all about and just by really reading what you just wrote it made me know a little part of you there , you're just a person who appreciate/enjoys rawness so much you probably think it's an issue when in fact it's a bless but just as it is a bless it can also turn out to be a curse at some cases, when you love people/things around you with all your heart forgetting the fact that your soul needs your love just as much as you tend to give every human it becomes a curse..

I simply just think the solution to your issue would be just as simple as " Start by admiring yourself instead" you look for love in others and that's wrong coz love is all there within your soul waiting for you to reach out for it..

You should realize that you were born with fire inside you. You should cherish & love your spark.

And please remember...

* You are allowed to take out space for yourself coz you're a human.

* You deserve to love and get loved in return coz you're a soul.

* You are allowed to put your own needs first💕

* You are allowed to love yourself..

God bless you💕
Love yourself first then everything else will follow trust me..I know , because I've been through this all
I'm not the op but this gave me something valuable to consider. Thank you :smile:

Original post by Redsauce
In response to what you wrote, I personally think there's nothing wrong in falling for others a little while it's really what us humans are all about and just by really reading what you just wrote it made me know a little part of you there , you're just a person who appreciate/enjoys rawness so much you probably think it's an issue when in fact it's a bless but just as it is a bless it can also turn out to be a curse at some cases, when you love people/things around you with all your heart forgetting the fact that your soul needs your love just as much as you tend to give every human it becomes a curse..

I simply just think the solution to your issue would be just as simple as " Start by admiring yourself instead" you look for love in others and that's wrong coz love is all there within your soul waiting for you to reach out for it..

You should realize that you were born with fire inside you. You should cherish & love your spark.

And please remember...

* You are allowed to take out space for yourself coz you're a human.

* You deserve to love and get loved in return coz you're a soul.

* You are allowed to put your own needs first💕

* You are allowed to love yourself..

God bless you💕
Love yourself first then everything else will follow trust me..I know , because I've been through this all
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
It might stem from you not realising (on some deeper level)...

1. Guys being nice/polite to you doesn't mean they are interested in an intimate relationship with you.
2. You may value yourself so little that you find any guy who takes any interest in you/ shows any affection an attractive proposition, the rest is brain chemistry.

PS It may also be something to do with, not seeing flaws or forgiving flaws in the opposite sex too easily?

i'm almost 100% sure its the latter; OP understands theyre being friendly, theyre questioning their own behaviour and not that of others
Women with Daddy issues seem a no-no to me, less mature, and secure, and invariably some of them end up sluts because they need male validation a lot and lack self-respect.
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
I'm not the op but this gave me something valuable to consider. Thank you :smile:

As much as this was directed to the op this was also directed to all who read it x
You welcome😊!
Original post by zedeneye1

Really? You are so lacking in self worth that you want a girl who is so emotionally troubled she latches onto anything with nothing more than a kind word.

So many guys in this thread being pathetic.

OP, you need to find your own well being, as it stands are leaving yourself open to any emotionally stunted dipshidiot that comes along
Reply 19
Try not to rely on others to complete yourself or you'll never stop looking or get trodden in the dirt

Quick Reply

Latest