The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes, if they get asked to move their feet and they don't, a fine should be issued imo (and I mean on the actual seat bit which is fabric, not the metal parts which aren't sat on and are easily cleaned). The amount of people I've seen with muddy shoes that then ruin the seat for others and cost the train service more cleaning charges. It's just selfish, really.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
We are simply purists who want a peaceful, clean and odour-free train journey. :smug:

Secretly, we would all prefer to live in Germany, but we are stuck here. :lol:

Stuck here presumably because your train to Germany was cancelled.
Original post by Dr Pesto
Stuck here presumably because your train to Germany was cancelled.

We are still waiting for this.
http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/100254/deutsche-bahn-postpones-london-rail-route
No way, just like parking tickets, it's another quick, money-making scheme.
If is directly on the fabric then maybe, but if its on the bit underneath the seat which is just metal/plastic then no

I have too many things with trains that I hate :lol:
I said 'maybe' because I think it depends.

If you put dirty shoes on the seat in front of you, I think you should be fined. If you take your shoes off or put something on the seat to keep it clean, and no-one else wants to sit there, I don't see that there's an issue.
To be honest it's not exactly smart putting your feet up especially during busy times on the change
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I said 'maybe' because I think it depends.

If you put dirty shoes on the seat in front of you, I think you should be fined. If you take your shoes off or put something on the seat to keep it clean, and no-one else wants to sit there, I don't see that there's an issue.

Imagine you're in charge of those trains - you don't want to be going down the road of proving whether or not every passenger with their feet up caused damage or soiling... or whether the seat protection precautions they claim they were taking were adequate.

It'd be as bad as saying smoking is forbidden... unless you hold lit cigarettes somewhat near to an open window and catch the ash in a suitable fireproof container.

What's so difficult about just keeping your feet on the floor anyway?

fwiw one of the 18 stickers per Merseyrail carriage of the type this chap was caught in...

merseyrail-sign.jpg
Original post by Joinedup
Imagine you're in charge of those trains - you don't want to be going down the road of proving whether or not every passenger with their feet up caused damage or soiling... or whether the seat protection precautions they claim they were taking were adequate.

It'd be as bad as saying smoking is forbidden... unless you hold lit cigarettes somewhat near to an open window and catch the ash in a suitable fireproof container.

What's so difficult about just keeping your feet on the floor anyway?

fwiw one of the 18 stickers per Merseyrail carriage of the type this chap was caught in...

merseyrail-sign.jpg

Putting something on a sign doesn't automatically make it reasonable. Nor does the fact that something is 'not difficult' not to do justify fining people for doing it.

It really wouldn't be difficult to give train workers the discretion to fine as and when they feel it is justified, with the sort of matters I've drawn attention to kept as guidelines. Then the issue of whether the matter is being dealt with responsibly simply becomes a matter of the train companies wanting to appear reasonable to customers.
It is a horrible habit, but no, it shouldn't be fined.

I did it in Italy 3 years ago, on one of the disgusting, dirty and run down trains they use near Naples. Got a proper telling off for it from an Italian lady, despite me not knowing a word she was saying. Embarrassing, to say the least.
Of course they should. People do it to dissuade others from sitting opposite or next to them. It's selfish and passively hostile and raises hackles when practiced on crowded commuter trains.

You pay for one seat and others who have also paid for one seat are entitled to choose where they sit.
I think a fine is a bit extreme, train travel is expensive enough as it is
Yes. I don't want the dirt from their shoes to cling to my trousers. They do not own the seat, so they have no right to effect it in a way in which others using it must be inconvenienced. Either they don't put their shoes/feet on the seat, or they make sure they carry a little kit with cleaning equipment. The former is easier to implement.

Summed up quite nicely here:

Original post by BurstingBubbles
Yes, if they get asked to move their feet and they don't, a fine should be issued imo (and I mean on the actual seat bit which is fabric, not the metal parts which aren't sat on and are easily cleaned). The amount of people I've seen with muddy shoes that then ruin the seat for others and cost the train service more cleaning charges. It's just selfish, really.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
We are simply purists who want a peaceful, clean and odour-free train journey. :smug:

Secretly, we would all prefer to live in Germany, but we are stuck here. :lol:

I actually do though
Original post by Das Ich Man
I actually do though

Sie sind Deutsch? :smile:
Sie sind Deutsch? :smile:

Do you mean Sind Sie Deutscher? No
Original post by Das Ich Man
Do you mean Sind Sie Deutscher? No

Yah. :giggle:
Original post by Ethereal World
And also I take them down at stops incase anyone wants to sit opposite or sit on the seat next to the opposite seat. And if someone is sitting on the table on the diagonal I wouldn't put my feet up next to them. It's only when I have a table seat to myself (often the case in first class on non peak services) that I slip my shoes off, sit back, and enjoy the ride :wink:

I would not mind that one bit! :smile:
Reply 58
Yes. they should be fined for:

putting their feet on seats
playing their music too loud
pis sing on the train
hogging their seat with their bag(s), luggage, bikes whatever

in other words, anyone who acts as though they own the bloody train should be fined!
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Putting something on a sign doesn't automatically make it reasonable. Nor does the fact that something is 'not difficult' not to do justify fining people for doing it.

It really wouldn't be difficult to give train workers the discretion to fine as and when they feel it is justified, with the sort of matters I've drawn attention to kept as guidelines. Then the issue of whether the matter is being dealt with responsibly simply becomes a matter of the train companies wanting to appear reasonable to customers.

This just makes my blood boil. Public transport companies , trains and buses are renowned for treating their customers like ****. From rude miserable bus drivers who arn't greatful for the overpriced bus fare you gave them to travel half a mile that's helping pay their wage, and look at you with contempt and hatred to train staff fascists putting up intimidating threatening notices.

No other company or service treats customers like this. You don't get this disgusting treatment in a restaurant or supermarket or hotel. If a member of staff in a supermarket treat customers the way bus drivers treat customers they'd get fired!

Fines are another way of robbing money from passengers who pay the highest rail fares in Europe.

And to think society wants more people to leave their cars at home and go on public transport, yeah dream on! Being on the dole is a more attractive alternative to commuting!

Latest

Trending

Trending