Grammar and punctuation help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Anonbabes
Conference needs a capital C?

No :no:
Test me

Testing is really only appropriate when you've covered the basics. I would suggest you do some reading.

As for Kyk's sentence, you should be able to remove the other noun + and and have the sentence make sense (with some subject verb adjustment) .

Sentence: Me and Charles are attending the conference.
Sentence with Charles and removed: Me is attending the conference.

Does this make sense? What might you replace me with?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Testing is really only appropriate when you've covered the basics. I would suggest you do some reading.

As for Kyk's sentence, you should be able to remove the other noun + and and have the sentence make sense (with some subject verb adjustment) .

Sentence: Me and Charles are attending the conference.
Sentence with Charles and removed: Me is attending the conference.

Does this make sense? What might you replace me with?

Original post by Kyx
No :no:

What about 1) Charles and I are attending the conference
2) We are attending the conference
3) I'm attending the conference
What about 1) Charles and I are attending the conference
2) We are attending the conference
3) I'm attending the conference

They all make sense but 1 is the answer.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Reply 124

yes

Original post by Kyx
yes

Finally :P Ask me a tricky one :wink:
My sentence structure , and punctuation is awful. Could solving give me a question, and I'll write a few sentences , so you can examine my punctuation, and sentence structure?
My sentence structure , and punctuation is awful. Could solving give me a question, and I'll write a few sentences , so you can examine my punctuation, and sentence structure?

Question: All high school students should gain fluency in a foreign language.

Argue both for and against, and then come to a conclusion. Write an introduction as well by the way.
Original post by Quick-use
Question: All high school students should gain fluency in a foreign language.

Argue both for and against, and then come to a conclusion. Write an introduction as well by the way.

I'm busy with assignments. I'll do this probably in a couple of days.

Just ask some simple questions like how did your holidays go? Blood test experience etc
I'm busy with assignments. I'll do this probably in a couple of days.

Just ask some simple questions like how did your holidays go? Blood test experience etc

How did your holidays go?
How did your holidays go?

My holidays went well. It was quite productive- I took full advantage of the free time. I produced a bucket list, and fulfilled some stuff such as: doing Yoga , buy new clothes, and got a new bag.
My holidays went well. It was quite productive- I took full advantage of the free time. I produced a bucket list, and fulfilled some stuff such as: doing Yoga , buy new clothes, and got a new bag.

My holidays went well. <--- good

It was quite productive- I took full advantage of the free time. <--- What are you referring to when you say 'it'? You used the word 'holidays' in the previous sentence in its plural form which means that you should refer to that instance as 'they were quite productive'.

They were productive - I took full advantage of the free time. / They were productive: I took full advantage of the free time. Grammatically, your sentence is sound (you can also use a colon here by the way); but, alternatively, I think it would be better to say something along the lines of:

They were productive in the sense that I was able to take advantage of the free time that I had.

I produced a bucket list, and fulfilled some stuff such as: doing Yoga , buy new clothes, and got a new bag. <---- You don't need to use the first comma.

I produced a bucket list and fulfilled some stuff [on it] such as... - It's important to say 'on it' to make it clear that you're referring to the fact that you fulfilled some things listed within your bucket list.

Anyways, moving on:

I produced a bucket list and fulfilled some stuff on it such as: doing yoga, buying new clothes and getting a new bag.

You said: doing Yoga, buy new clothes, and got a new bag. <----

- The word 'yoga' shouldn't be capitalised the same way that football or basketball shouldn't
- You used the verb 'to do' in its present continuous tense (doing), yet the latter two in varius different tenses (buy - present tense / got - past perfect)
- You need to use all your verbs in the same tense: doing, buying, getting
- To end a list you can use the word 'and'. Before that you don't necessarily need a comma.
(edited 8 years ago)
My holidays went well. <--- good

It was quite productive- I took full advantage of the free time. <--- What are you referring to when you say 'it'? You used the word 'holidays' in the previous sentence in its plural form which means that you should refer to that instance as 'they were quite productive'.

They were productive - I took full advantage of the free time. / They were productive: I took full advantage of the free time. Grammatically, your sentence is sound (you can also use a colon here by the way); but, alternatively, I think it would be better to say something along the lines of:

They were productive in the sense that I was able to take advantage of the free time that I had.

I produced a bucket list, and fulfilled some stuff such as: doing Yoga , buy new clothes, and got a new bag. <---- You don't need to use the first comma.

I produced a bucket list and fulfilled some stuff [on it] such as... - It's important to say 'on it' to make it clear that you're referring to the fact that you fulfilled some things listed within your bucket list.

Anyways, moving on:

I produced a bucket list and fulfilled some stuff on it such as: doing yoga, buying new clothes and getting a new bag.

You said: doing Yoga, buy new clothes, and got a new bag. <----

- The word 'yoga' shouldn't be capitalised the same way that football or basketball shouldn't
- You used the verb to do in its present continuous tense (doing), yet you the latter two in different tenses (buy - present tense / got - past perfect)
- You need to use all your verbs in the same tense: doing, buying, getting
- To end a list you can use the word 'and'. Before that you don't necessarily need a comma.

See my sentence structure is rubbish.
Original post by Kyx
An hour ago we met a history teacher

If the next word begins with a 'vowel sound', use an.

If not, use 'a'.

The second time, it could be 'a' or 'an'.

I would go for 'an'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending