The Student Room Group

Classics Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TitanCream
Thank you! I only need ABB :smile:

Oh wow!! Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by Stephen_P
Hi! I've applied to Classics but I've chosen fairly different courses at each uni, as I wanted to give myself a big range. I applied to Kings (Classical and Modern Greek Studies), Edinburgh (Classics and Linguistics), St Andrews (Greek and Hebrew), Glasgow (Latin and Greek) and Newcastle (Classics). I got AAB offers from Kings, Glasgow and Newcastle in the first few days after I applied which has made waiting for the other two painful, still waiting for them though. Edinburgh sent about 5 emails saying how busy it was with applicants, so I got the message there. I kind of wish that I'd applied to somewhere other than Newcastle since it's my home town, but when I was applying I wasn't sure if I'd even get any offers since I haven't done Greek or Latin at GCSE or even any language at A Level, so it was pretty much a compromise.

Right now I'm weighing up Glasgow and Kings for my (insurance) choice. Kings would be the obvious choice based on reputation, but it's quite far and the course is just Greek without Latin. Anyone else stuck between choices?

Glasgow is really good for classics and because it's in Scotland there's lots of fluidity within the department
Original post by ellsy95
Oh wow!! Good luck :biggrin:

Thank you!!! How excited are you to start the course?
Reply 83
Thank you!!! How excited are you to start the course?

I'm super excited!! I can't wait to be learning about it again! What about you?
Original post by ellsy95
I'm super excited!! I can't wait to be learning about it again! What about you?

Also super excited! Better get my Robert Graves books out to start recalling!
Reply 85
Also super excited! Better get my Robert Graves books out to start recalling!

That reminds me that I should really start Metamorphoses... it's just sat on my bookcase staring at me :K:
Original post by ellsy95
That reminds me that I should really start Metamorphoses... it's just sat on my bookcase staring at me :K:

No time like the present :u:
Best of luck to all :smile:

If you have any questions that I may be able to answer as a 2nd year Classics student, then please let me know! I learnt Ancient Greek from scratch and will be learning Latin next year.

Glad to see there are people interested!
Reply 88
Original post by Lucilou101
Best of luck to all :smile:

If you have any questions that I may be able to answer as a 2nd year Classics student, then please let me know! I learnt Ancient Greek from scratch and will be learning Latin next year.

Glad to see there are people interested!

How hard was AG to learn? Because I was interested in it but obviously it's not symbol-like than words...
Original post by ellsy95
How hard was AG to learn? Because I was interested in it but obviously it's not symbol-like than words...

It was okay, but I had very good tutors :smile:

Once you've mastered the alphabet, then it's just a case of learning grammar and vocab like any other language!
Does anyone happen to have the 2003 Latin A level prose paper (OCR), and could send me the link? I can't find it anywhere!
If anyone is looking for a way to boost their Latin or Ancient Greek, or get started with learning either of them - then I would highly recommend the JACT courses :smile:

They offer incredibly good teaching for two weeks over the summer, with accommodation and meals included in the price. I went on the JACT Greek Summer School at Bryanston two years ago and loved it! It is hard work but you will be amazed how far you progress in the time period, and you meet so many like-minded lovers of Classics!

I will be going on the Latin Summer School at Wells this year, and it has extra perks like trips to Bath and Wales - so if you come you get the extra perk of those :smile:

Here is the link to the latin school - www.latincamp.co.uk and the greek - http://www.greeksummerschool.org
Does anyone have access to the June 2015 OCR A level Latin Prose markscheme? I can't find it anywhere, and OCR don't publish it on their website :frown: I would be grateful if anyone could even just send me a picture or a link if their have it!
Anyone else sitting the AQA Augustus exam tomorrow?
I've just been accepted at the University of Kent for Ancient, Medieval and Modern History as a joint honours :smile: despite being joint honours, it is overseen by the Classics and Languages department. I can't wait to start!
Original post by Charliefen
I've just been accepted at the University of Kent for Ancient, Medieval and Modern History as a joint honours :smile: despite being joint honours, it is overseen by the Classics and Languages department. I can't wait to start!

Ah good for you, I did a mixture of Ancient and Medieval History in my first year!
Original post by Charliefen

You have a perfect blend!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending