The Student Room Group

Self Studying GCSE's. How to self study English Lang/lit?

Hey I am looking into self study for GCSE's to improve my grade. Looking to self study Maths, English lit/lang and triple science.

Any advice on how to go about revising for English specifically as it is not so much black and white when it comes to the information you need to know.

Any help or advice from those who have self studied English would be a great help!

Cheers
Reply 1
If you could get a tutor it would probably benefit you a lot as for English it is normally skills which are sometimes harder to go about self learning, compared to other subjects.
But for literature re-reading the books, buying guides to help assist you etc

Sorry I haven't self-studied but I have done GCSE Lang/Lit
Original post by AaronPhillips199
Hey I am looking into self study for GCSE's to improve my grade. Looking to self study Maths, English lit/lang and triple science.

Any advice on how to go about revising for English specifically as it is not so much black and white when it comes to the information you need to know.

Any help or advice from those who have self studied English would be a great help!

Cheers

Try oxford open learning, its homeshool where I'm at for English Language myself and I'm working at A grade. They do all of the courses you want to do. Tutors on emails or phone for only about £300 per course but exam entry is about £250 per course. My advise if ool is to read the lessons when assignments marked read the comments to find out how to improve to get from such as 55/100 to 75/100 because even though its 20 marks differents thats the difference from B to A*!
As well as that write IMPORTANT notes down, not all of English Language needs to be written down if you got a imaginative language, such as how I made up my own figurative language word to remember it...

PRA SM

P ersonification
R eptition
A lliteration

S imile
M etaphor

(I'm doing Physics, Chemistry and Maths and can help on how to study ^^)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jitesh
If you could get a tutor it would probably benefit you a lot as for English it is normally skills which are sometimes harder to go about self learning, compared to other subjects.
But for literature re-reading the books, buying guides to help assist you etc

Sorry I haven't self-studied but I have done GCSE Lang/Lit

Okay general consensus is English cannot be easily self taught. With English lit do you know of any guides that good or any you found of help specifically?

Thanks!
Original post by ckfeister
Try oxford open learning, its homeshool where I'm at for English Language myself and I'm working at A grade. They do all of the courses you want to do. Tutors on emails or phone for only about £300 per course but exam entry is about £250 per course. My advise if ool is to read the lessons when assignments marked read the comments to find out how to improve to get from such as 55/100 to 75/100 because even though its 20 marks differents thats the difference from B to A*!
As well as that write IMPORTANT notes down, not all of English Language needs to be written down if you got a imaginative language, such as how I made up my own figurative language word to remember it...

PRA SM

P ersonification
R eptition
A lliteration

S imile
M etaphor

(I'm doing Physics, Chemistry and Maths and can help on how to study ^^)

Hey mate thanks for the reply, just had a quick look at these, so the Maths GCSE is 295, and then to sit the test with them providing for you to sit, is an extra 250? I assume you don't have to sit the exams with them and can go elsewhere then?

I know this is going off subject a bit but I'm interested in what research you have done on IGCSE's. Have you asked around at uni's etc for how widely accepted they are? I haven't look too much into IGCSE as was planning on self study to save money but would be interested to hear about them from someone who is currently taking them. Also what material if any have you bought for the physics, and chemistry so far?
Reply 5
i don't know what your weaknesses are but to build a strong foundation in English i would suggest reading boos and reading broadsheet newspapers such as the Guardian and Telegraph and stay away from tabloids such as the metro. This will definitely help you improve your grammar and vocabulary.

For your exam you need to study 2 books in my case it's Animal Farm and Of Mice and Men and so if you're self studying perhaps read the book twice and write down key things in the books and if you're still not fully confident then perhaps do some research online.
Hey mate thanks for the reply, just had a quick look at these, so the Maths GCSE is 295, and then to sit the test with them providing for you to sit, is an extra 250? I assume you don't have to sit the exams with them and can go elsewhere then?

I know this is going off subject a bit but I'm interested in what research you have done on IGCSE's. Have you asked around at uni's etc for how widely accepted they are? I haven't look too much into IGCSE as was planning on self study to save money but would be interested to hear about them from someone who is currently taking them. Also what material if any have you bought for the physics, and chemistry so far?

Other exam centres or schools you go for private candidate cost differently, but for mine it was £35 per paper + £160 per subject admission (The Tutorial Foundation) Trust me, don't do them all pure independant you will need some sort of support otherwise you won't see your mistakes except Maths/Further Maths can be done independant (I am) but will still struggle at a few questions.

None, its all in book in images and short notes. If you do start homeshool and need help to get orgainzed quote me here or private message as its rocky at the beginning without experience took me a year to get used to it now im like 5x wiser in everything because of it.
Original post by MalayHKG
i don't know what your weaknesses are but to build a strong foundation in English i would suggest reading boos and reading broadsheet newspapers such as the Guardian and Telegraph and stay away from tabloids such as the metro. This will definitely help you improve your grammar and vocabulary.

For your exam you need to study 2 books in my case it's Animal Farm and Of Mice and Men and so if you're self studying perhaps read the book twice and write down key things in the books and if you're still not fully confident then perhaps do some research online.

Currently have C in English Lang/lit. Looking to improve to A* if I am to retake. How do you find out what 2 books to study, is there a choice or a set 2 each year? As I took of mice and man and Macbeth 4 years ago I believe. Could I do these again? Assume they're in specs but haven't checked?

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Reply 8
Okay general consensus is English cannot be easily self taught. With English lit do you know of any guides that good or any you found of help specifically?

Thanks!

I didn't really use any to be honest, but CGP is meant to make some good ones for the jist of the text
Maybe Philip Allan's guides?
Thank you, good advice, I appreciate the help. Do you know how I would find what books would be set the for the exams if I were looking to take in 2017, or possibly 2016?
Okay perfect, thank you.
Currently have C in English Lang/lit. Looking to improve to A* if I am to retake. How do you find out what 2 books to study, is there a choice or a set 2 each year? As I took of mice and man and Macbeth 4 years ago I believe. Could I do these again? Assume they're in specs but haven't checked?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Well if you're self studying i'm not too sure as generally your school decides which book you study for the exam and so you just go along with the choice.

As you're self studying, i presume you're going to have to do your exams at a school right? If so, then you should perhaps ask them what books their students are studying and ask them what the exam board is so that you can begin studying those books as well.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest