The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0123456543210
****ing solid evidence of reputability and quality of the course here!:biggrin:
ffs, this table put UEA above Nottingham and Oxford Brookes above Birmingham.

Guys. I heard so many tables, to be completely objective, I collected all the figures of every table I could find over the last 4 years and made a table of tables based on average best for law, average best for university over all subjects and a megamix value of the 2. Here my results, some surprizing:

Best for law
----------------

UniversityUniversity of Cambridge
University of Oxford
London School of Economics
University College London
Durham University
University of Nottingham
King's College London
University of Glasgow
Queen Mary,University of London
University of Edinburgh
University of Aberdeen
Newcastle University
Queen's University, Belfast
University of Bristol
Lancaster University

Best over all subjects
-----------------------------
University of Cambridge
University of Oxford
Durham University
University of Warwick
University of Surrey
University of Exeter
Lancaster University
University of York
University of Birmingham
University of East Anglia
University of Southampton
University of Edinburgh
University of Leicester

Magamix
-------------
University of Oxford
Durham University
University of Warwick
Lancaster University
University of Nottingham
University of Edinburgh
University of York
University of Glasgow
University of Exeter
University of Birmingham
University of Surrey

Just as valid as any other table
Anyone heading to the UCL offer holder day tommorow?:smile:)
I sent my application off on 16th November. Received conditional offers from Exeter, Lancaster, Reading and UEA (unconditional, if firmed). Now I'm waiting for Warwick, who (if I do get an offer from them) would be my firm choice. The wait is slowly killing me, the number of times a day I check my track and email is ridiculous...lol
Original post by crocface
Guys. I heard so many tables, to be completely objective, I collected all the figures of every table I could find over the last 4 years and made a table of tables based on average best for law, average best for university over all subjects and a megamix value of the 2. Here my results, some surprizing:

Best for law
----------------

University of Oxford
Durham University
University of Nottingham
King's College London
University of Glasgow
Queen Mary,University of London
University of Edinburgh
University of Aberdeen
Newcastle University
Queen's University, Belfast
University of Bristol
Lancaster University

Best over all subjects
-----------------------------
University of Cambridge
University of Oxford
Durham University
University of Warwick
University of Surrey
University of Exeter
Lancaster University
University of York
University of Birmingham
University of Southampton
University of Edinburgh
University of Leicester

Magamix
-------------
University of Oxford
Durham University
University of Warwick
Lancaster University
University of Nottingham
University of Edinburgh
University of York
University of Glasgow
University of Exeter
University of Birmingham
University of Surrey

Just as valid as any other table

You must have taken the choice of a university quite seriously!:biggrin:
It is weird seeing universities like Surrey and UEA here, because their entry not many people would put them any higher than maybe 30. I cannot imagine them being as good as league tables portray them to be. League tables are flawed and basing your table upon them makes it just as flawed as they are.
Original post by Katbo
This is really quite obscene. In essence you're saying that foreign law lecturers are useless.
I'd like to let you know that I was born in Europe but moved to UK at a young age and although my dad has an accent, he is by far the smartest man I know. He is a professor of Law and several of his also extremely intelligent colleagues are foreign but doesn't that simply highlight the fact that they've worked twice as hard despite a language barrier than their English as first-language speaking counterparts. They certainly would not have been hired if they were not better than the other candidates.
Just because someone has an accent, it does not mean they have 'difficulty speaking English'. Furthermore, I'd rather have a professor who is making amazing points in an accent, than a professor whose points are mediocre and are in English.
You're also saying that European all lecturers will be 'deported' as such which is just not true. Many, like my father, have a British citizenship so please do not assume that 'all these foreign law lecturers teaching in UK unis now will have to return back to their home countries.'
I am really quite shocked at the way you have expressed yourself. If you had articulated your opinions more sensitively and less judgmentally, I might not have been so angry to respond to your sweeping statements.

You definitely said what I was thinking, well put!
Original post by 0123456543210
You must have taken the choice of a university quite seriously!:biggrin:
It is weird seeing universities like Surrey and UEA here, because their entry not many people would put them any higher than maybe 30. I cannot imagine them being as good as league tables portray them to be. League tables are flawed and basing your table upon them makes it just as flawed as they are.

Well I would argue slightly less flawed for the main universities as it evens out the extremes of some tables such as for example QMUL placed 3rd in Guardian for law, 15th in Complete University guide and 25th in the Times. The average, and averaging over more years is much more likely to be about right, Actually comes out as 10th which feels about right.
Just received an offer from Liverpool (Conditional for AB, as I already have a B from an A Level I took in Year 11).

Currently waiting on Nottingham, Bristol, Leeds and Manchester.
Original post by Katbo
Yes! Email them just in case. I sat my LNAT, sent off my application, and a few weeks later they asked me for my Pearson Vue account number. I think if you give them your number through the King's Portal, it saves them time matching up your UCAS and your Pearson Vue. Do it just in case because they did request it :smile:

You're right; it sounds like a good idea to send it to them, thank you! :h:
Original post by elise1998
Anyone heading to the UCL offer holder day tommorow?:smile:)

I haven't heard back from UCL yet! When did you apply/sit your Lnat? I hope they have another offer day! thanks ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, did anyone here get into Oxford to study Law? I have a few questions as I'll be applying in October
Original post by Sarah78615
Hey, did anyone here get into Oxford to study Law? I have a few questions as I'll be applying in October

I've got an offer! Message me if you want to ask anything :smile:
Original post by JohnGreek
Aye!

See you there!!
Application sent late november, offer around 22nd december!
And ofcouse they will!!:smile:
Original post by alexandra48
I haven't heard back from UCL yet! When did you apply/sit your Lnat? I hope they have another offer day! thanks ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elise1998
Application sent late november, offer around 22nd december!
And ofcouse they will!!:smile:

Thank you ☺️I sent my application 3rd December so hopefully I hear soon! The waiting for is agony😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you ☺️I sent my application 3rd December so hopefully I hear soon! The waiting for is agony😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sent mine off on 13th October still no word 😭😧😦🙏🙏
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ask away!

Bit late but yeah, ask whatever. Still a bit confused on whether to firm it, but probably!
You will do!! Now that the deadline has passed they will probably be quicker! All the best!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anybody got a law IB offer from Durham? if so what was it?

I know they want IB 38 points but is not clear if the specify HL requirements as well
Original post by JodieHarriett18
QMUL isn't highly thought of as a law school though?

Original post by JohnGreek
Both KCL and Bristol are reputed to be better, apparently. Not to say that any of them are poorly thought of, it's all relative :smile:

It's #3 in law on the guardian league tables behind Oxbridge, I think it's the kind of thing where people don't think it's that good atm but when it comes to a few years time it might be a bit more reputable. Plus only 20% of QMUL law applicants get offers which is similar to UCL and KCL so that shows it might be kinda good I guess??
see Bristol isn't rated that highly on the league tables, the highest I've seen it is about 10 I think. But it's regarded as such a good uni?? Idk it's stressful haha

Latest

Trending

Trending