The Student Room Group

Calls for Oscar boycott over lack of non-white nominees

No black or minority actors have been nominated in the four acting categories for this year's Academy Awards. Oscar voters are nearly 94% Caucasian and Black members make up about 2% of the Academy, and Latino members less than 2%.

Boone Isaacs praised the "wonderful work" of the nominees but said she was "heartbroken" at the lack of diversity.

Elba starred in the Netflix film Beasts of No Nation :

He wrote: "To my Academy colleagues, WE HAVE TO DO BETTER. Period. The reason the rest of the world looks at us like we have no clue is because in 2016 it's a complete embarrassment to say that the heights of cinematic achievement have only been reached by white people. I repeat - it's embarrassing. It's unfair to the performers of colour who sacrificed so much, laid it all on the line AND DELIVERED with their projects this year."

I think it's stupid and their were amzaing Black actors this year who should have been picked and What do you guys think ?

Scroll to see replies

I don't understand why this is an issue. What has a person's race got anything to do with getting nominated for an Oscar. Getting nominated for an Oscar should be based on talent and acting ability.
Shouldn't people look at acting skills, not colour.
As long as the best actors are chosen I could not care what colour they are.

It's unfair to the performers of colour who sacrificed so much, laid it all on the line AND DELIVERED with their projects this year."

What a stupid thing to say.
the victim complex/bitterness is real

if youre good enough, you'll get nominated. at least have some respect and be gracious for those who did get nominated. how pathetic.
Even Will Smith is not attending the Oscars due to lack of non-white nominees. Very childish behaviour...
Original post by DeadEnd_96
I don't understand why this is an issue. What has a person's race got anything to do with getting nominated for an Oscar. Getting nominated for an Oscar should be based on talent and acting ability.

Exactly, so why not nominate black people and other minorities ? They are incredibly talented in the industry and they don't differ from actors of any other race? Isn't it just a demand for equality?
Reply 6
Coloured actors rarely get involved in huge Oscar potential roles compared to white actors, therefore white actors will make up the majority of the nominations. Its not racist, everyone is just trying to get onto the moral high horse
could not care less how many black people have or have not been nominated
why do we have to look at this as 'black actors or 'white actors', they are actors so no need to get skin colour involved?
It's actually stupid. I haven't watched many of the movies that got nominated or w/e but at the same time, if no black person was in the top five of any category then better luck next year. I still enjoyed the hell out of Straight Outta Compton & Beasts of No Nation (the only "black movies" I remember seeing this year)
Reply 10
The lack of diversity does seem to me to be a problem - the diversity in the Oscars is in sharp contrast to the Golden Globes or the Actors' Guild Awards, in which a number of black actors and actresses were nominated for awards, so the claim that people have been picked solely based on their acting merits for the Oscars seems suspicious.
Reply 11
Basically a bunch of actors and actresses have done nothing worthy of a nomination then blame others for their failure.
That's modern day equality.
probably less to do with the oscars and more to do with needing to create more major roles where ethnic minorities are able to showcase their talent (i.e. lies in the hands of casting) rather than just casting them for supporting roles or minor characters
Reply 13
Jesus Christ.
Do we have to have another 'Great British Bake Off' style awards ceremony so people don't get butt-hurt? What next, 'everybody gets a prize'?
There will be a ****ing % for everything.

And that % won't sit well with some people.

So they complain about it, call for this and that.

I personally am appalled by the lack of Irish nominees, and I personally think there is some kind of agenda going on behind the scenes. I think all Irish people should boycott these awards until we have a higher % of nominees. It doesn't matter who deserves what, it isn't as if these awards are about acting, they are about having a nice mix of Irish and non-Irish nominees and kicking up a fuss when the mix swings too much in the favor of one or the other.

Everything is about race and nationality really.

For example the other day I got on the bus into town and it was filled with blacks, asians, whites etc but not a single Irish person. I knew right away there must have been some kind of agenda so immediately got off the bus and sat in the middle of the road in protest.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by joecphillips
Basically a bunch of actors and actresses have done nothing worthy of a nomination then blame others for their failure.
That's modern day equality.

I struggle to believe that anyone is really this dense. :rolleyes: It's not that there aren't a plethora of extremely talented actors/actresses who are PoC. It's not their failure that results in them not being nominated, it's the lack of opportunities and Oscar-worthy roles for PoC. Even if we pretend that such roles exist, the fact that the majority of the Oscar nomination panel are white, and predominately male doesn't allow for a representative and fair process - given that people typically enjoy and engage with film characters more if they can see themselves in such roles.

Do you really think that Halle Berry is the only black woman to ever give an Oscar-winning performance? Lmao.
(edited 8 years ago)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXcT213XYlA

Viola Davis summing this up ever so eloquently.
Reply 17
There are no Welsh sex gods nominated this year either. Am disappoint.
ITT: white people pretend to be victims. OFC there's a problem. I bet the people who have no problem with this also think that racism doesn't exist.
Original post by ionically
I struggle to believe that anyone is really this dense. :rolleyes: It's not that there aren't a plethora of extremely talented actors/actresses who are POC. It's not their failure that results in them not being nominated, it's the lack of opportunities and Oscar-worthy roles for POC. Even if we pretend that such roles exist, the fact that the majority of the Oscar nomination panel are white, and predominately male doesn't allow for a representative and fair process - given that people typically enjoy and engage with film characters more if they can see themselves in such roles.

Do you really think that Halle Berry is the only black woman to ever give an Oscar-winning performance? Lmao.

Its the double standards of politcal correctness, no matter what people will never be happy, if roles are created just to fill a quota its wrong, if the best actor for a role just happens to be white then to include a ethnic person is actually offensive.

Its creating problems when problems aren't there.

By the way white is a colour too.

The best actor should get nominated, be they white, black, pink, yellow, orange whatever, or male, female, alien whatever.

Modern political correctness is just picking and choosing, no one bats an eyelid at things like MOBA despite it existing being basically racist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending