The Student Room Group

Architecture 2016 Entry Applications and Offers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by ellveadn
I sent my application off in november and I've only had one from kent offer back :frown: are they taking this long for everyone else? Ive sent my portfolio off to sheffield, Nottingham and cardiff - how long did it take they to reply?

Sent my application in November and still no word from Sheffield :frown: but I received offers from notts and cardiff in December
Has anyone heard from Bath yet?
Original post by champ_mc99
Can I do architecture without any Art qualification or portfolio. I'm doing Maths and Physics at AS and planning to continue to A2.

Would not recommend it. Do an art foundation
I applied to UCL, Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield and Newcastle with predicted A*AA in art maths and history respectively. Got offers from all and interview at UCL on 8th march!! Anyone else going this day?
Original post by Ellie_k98
I applied to UCL, Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield and Newcastle with predicted A*AA in art maths and history respectively. Got offers from all and interview at UCL on 8th march!! Anyone else going this day?

Congrats! When did u send ur UCL task off may I ask
Can I do architecture without any Art qualification or portfolio. I'm doing Maths and Physics at AS and planning to continue to A2.

Well, I didn't do GCSE or A-level Art, but I am doing Product Design, so it is totally okay not to have done art. However, you will need a portfolio for the majority of K100 courses (and to apply for an art foundation I think).

You're going to need to have a basic level in drawing skills anyway, however you get in, so I'd recommend 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' and 'Keys to Drawing' which helped me develop my drawing skills. Ask to meet up with an art teacher during break on a weekly basis to show them what you've done and so they can offer help/tips.

It can be really enjoyable putting a portfolio together in your own time (it can also be a pain) and it means that you have a real and relevant reason for doing the work you do.

If, by the time it gets to applying, you're still not comfortable with your drawing skills/ portfolio, you can always apply to unis that don't ask for portfolios (Bath, also Edinburgh I believe), apply to an art foundation year as well as a back up, or apply to RIBA Part 1 courses that have an engineering element, thus may not have such a heavy focus on the portfolio.

Hey:smile:
I kindly ask about your Manchester offer - is it AAA? And about the UCL, when did you sent the task cause I am waiting about 2 months and still no answer back.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Banterlopes
Well, I didn't do GCSE or A-level Art, but I am doing Product Design, so it is totally okay not to have done art. However, you will need a portfolio for the majority of K100 courses (and to apply for an art foundation I think).

You're going to need to have a basic level in drawing skills anyway, however you get in, so I'd recommend 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' and 'Keys to Drawing' which helped me develop my drawing skills. Ask to meet up with an art teacher during break on a weekly basis to show them what you've done and so they can offer help/tips.

It can be really enjoyable putting a portfolio together in your own time (it can also be a pain) and it means that you have a real and relevant reason for doing the work you do.

If, by the time it gets to applying, you're still not comfortable with your drawing skills/ portfolio, you can always apply to unis that don't ask for portfolios (Bath, also Edinburgh I believe), apply to an art foundation year as well as a back up, or apply to RIBA Part 1 courses that have an engineering element, thus may not have such a heavy focus on the portfolio.

Wow nice reply man. Aside from that does architecture require any work experience.
Original post by nairline
Would not recommend it. Do an art foundation

Do most of the unis offer that?
I've looked at Cardiff and they don't ask for specific A level subjects.

Also how long is a typical portfolio?
Congrats! When did u send ur UCL task off may I ask

Thanks! November 27th i think (still new to this quote thing) :wink:
Wow nice reply man. Aside from that does architecture require any work experience.

Vocational commitment in fields such as architecture (medicine, dentistry, veterinary science also) is very important, it was stressed at an Oxbridge Seminar I went to and is highlighted on many uni department sites as being important (Bath, for example).

It shows commitment to the subject and allows you to find out whether this vocation is right for you, so most certainly get at least a week's work experience in the summer.
Original post by Georgiev
Hey:smile:
I kindly ask about your Manchester offer - is it AAA? And about the UCL, when did you sent the task cause I am waiting about 2 months and still no answer back.

Yes manchester was AAA, i sent the task on 27th of november, but i didnt hear until early january that i had an interview so dont worry! Good luck x
Original post by Banterlopes
Vocational commitment in fields such as architecture (medicine, dentistry, veterinary science also) is very important, it was stressed at an Oxbridge Seminar I went to and is highlighted on many uni department sites as being important (Bath, for example).

It shows commitment to the subject and allows you to find out whether this vocation is right for you, so most certainly get at least a week's work experience in the summer.

Oh cool. So does this just involve shadowing an architect or are there more options?
Thanks! November 27th i think (still new to this quote thing) :wink:

Ah that was a long period of waiting! Is it your first choice? Im sending my task off tomorrow ... 😔
Did you produce drawings from pure observation or did you imagine them up? If you don't mind me asking!
I've looked at Cardiff and they don't ask for specific A level subjects.

Also how long is a typical portfolio?

They don't ask for it.. But it's better for your application. Besides this, why would you want to delve into a field which requires art based skills if you haven't pursued the teaching of such skills.. You would only gain from doing a foundation. Can do it at most art schools and it's free if you're 18 when it stars.
Oh cool. So does this just involve shadowing an architect or are there more options?

Depends on the practice and what they want work experience students to do, it's hard to say definitively what it will involve.
hey guys. Applied to UCL over a week ago but haven't heard anything from them. they didn't send me the task!
They don't ask for it.. But it's better for your application. Besides this, why would you want to delve into a field which requires art based skills if you haven't pursued the teaching of such skills.. You would only gain from doing a foundation. Can do it at most art schools and it's free if you're 18 when it stars.

It's not my first choice, but I'm interested.
Hi guys did anyone get a reply from Cardiff or Liveprool?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending