The Student Room Group

Is bisexuality genetic?

I know homosexuality is. I have seen articles on studies saying being gay is genetic. My question is in particular bisexuality? I'm curious because I noticed in my mom's family there aren't any gay family members just bisexual men snd it's all along a specific part of the family. Like her dad was bisexual and then his brother's were bisexual. And then his mother's brother was bisexual and then his grandfather was bisexual. Basically all of the family from Louisiana. Or close to there. And my dad's bisexual somewhat. Not really he doesn't have boyfriends or anything but anyway. My mom was never raised around that family and I never knew them yet I too am bisexual more pansexual though than anything which is similar. I looked this up. And I couldn't find anything abouty bisexuality being genetic or not alone. Anyway if anyone has links to this?

Scroll to see replies

I'm sure genes play at least a part, but your question is about if it's hereditary, correct? I'm unsure, but don't think so.
Reply 2
Well, this is ridiculous
Original post by Alexion
Well, this is rediculous

And why is that?
Homosexuality isn't definitively genetic... but if its related, I'm sure it is for bisexuality too.
Original post by ivybridge
Homosexuality isn't definitively genetic... but if its related, I'm sure it is for bisexuality too.

It's most likely a mix of genetics and other factors. I'm positive genetics does play a role though.
Reply 6
Original post by Mactotaur
And why is that?

Well, I am, and nobody anywhere in my family is, so unless I'm just an exception...
I don't think there's a scientific proof either way yet. Most like though is that some gene does pre-dispose you to it even if indirectly, and this could be linked to gender - in general bisexuality is more common in women, although this could also just be down to them being more willing to experiment when they experience same-sex attraction. In short, it's likely to play some role, but we don't know for certain.
Original post by Saoirse:3
I don't think there's a scientific proof either way yet. Most like though is that some gene does pre-dispose you to it even if indirectly, and this could be linked to gender - in general bisexuality is more common in women, although this could also just be down to them being more willing to experiment when they experience same-sex attraction. In short, it's likely to play some role, but we don't know for certain.

Is it actually more common, or just more commonly reported (i.e. they're more open about it)?
Original post by Nicolas2000
I know homosexuality is. I have seen articles on studies saying being gay is genetic. My question is in particular bisexuality? I'm curious because I noticed in my mom's family there aren't any gay family members just bisexual men snd it's all along a specific part of the family. Like her dad was bisexual and then his brother's were bisexual. And then his mother's brother was bisexual and then his grandfather was bisexual. Basically all of the family from Louisiana. Or close to there. And my dad's bisexual somewhat. Not really he doesn't have boyfriends or anything but anyway. My mom was never raised around that family and I never knew them yet I too am bisexual more pansexual though than anything which is similar. I looked this up. And I couldn't find anything abouty bisexuality being genetic or not alone. Anyway if anyone has links to this?

Genes play a part in sexuality but there is no scientific data which suggests that it is hereditary at all, all this bisexuality in your family is probably just a coincidence. Whenever someone has a gay brother/cousin/grandparent or whatever, they ask whether it's in the family, however the vast majority of gay people will tell you they're the only gays in their family down the generations (that they know of) so I wouldn't think too much of this. I am gay and I have a huge extended family with 9 uncles and aunts and about 20 cousins and and I am the only queer in the family.
(edited 8 years ago)
Like homosexuality, bisexuality and all other sexualities will be a result of multiple factors, of course genetics will play a part but it depends on the individual.
Original post by driftawaay
Genes play a part in sexuality but there is no scientific data which suggests that it is hereditary at all, all this bisexuality in your family is probably just a coincidence. Whenever someone has a gay brother/cousin/grandparent or whatever, they ask whether it's in the family, however the vast majority of gay people will tell you they're the only gays in their family down the generations (that they know of) so I wouldn't think too much of this. I am gay and I have a huge extended family with 9 uncles and aunts and about 20 cousins and and I am the only queer in the family.

Food for thought: if you have elder brothers, you're statistically more likely to be gay. I know correlation=/=causation, but it's something to consider.
Food for thought: if you have elder brothers, you're statistically more likely to be gay. I know correlation=/=causation, but it's something to consider.

That's true but there is a scientific explanation for that and it isn't related to what OP is asking.
That's true but there is a scientific explanation for that and it isn't related to what OP is asking.

what is the explanation for that then and does it make it more likely for girls?
Original post by Anonymous
what is the explanation for that then and does it make it more likely for girls?

I don't believe so. Look up fraternal birth order and male sexual orientation.

Apparently each older brother increases a man's odds of being gay by about 30%, it's something to do with how a mother's body remembers how many sons she has had and develops some sort of prenatal immune response which contributes to a child being born homosexual and it also affects handedness (which we know that gay people are more likely to be left handed than straight people).

It's explained in detail and more accuracy here lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternal_birth_order_and_male_sexual_orientation

But no, they have looked at it and this only affects gay men, not women.
I don't believe so. Look up fraternal birth order and male sexual orientation.

oh ok, thank you that is interesting :smile:
just out of interest do you think there is any connection between having an older brother and the younger sister not being straight?
oh ok, thank you that is interesting :smile:
just out of interest do you think there is any connection between having an older brother and the younger sister not being straight?

No, I don't, but I'm not a scientist.
Apparently each older brother increases a man's odds of being gay by about 30%, it's something to do with how a mother's body remembers how many sons she has had and develops some sort of prenatal immune response which contributes to a child being born homosexual and it also affects handedness (which we know that gay people are more likely to be left handed than straight people).

It's explained in detail and more accuracy here lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternal_birth_order_and_male_sexual_orientation

But no, they have looked at it and this only affects gay men, not women.

No, I don't, but I'm not a scientist.

thank you both :smile: sorry if i derailed the thread slightly was genuinely interested :redface:
Original post by Biinnkkxx
Although there has been a lot of media coverage on the "gay gene" i believe that there is no such gene.

I recently attended a talk by Adam Rutherford, a well known geneticist, who confirmed that the "gay gene" has not been found and that it simply doesn't exist. He is also backed by a lot of other geneticists.

An article which covers this topic can be found on onenewsnow and it states;
"The flawed thinking behind a genetic test for sexual orientation is clear from studies of twins, which show that the identical twin of a gay man, who carries an exact replica of his brother's DNA, is more likely to be straight than gay. That means even a perfect genetic test that picked up every gene linked to sexual orientation would still be less effective than flipping a coin."

However i may be wrong! Haha but i am pretty sure that genetics isn't the only thing that contributes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love when people rbing this up as if they are rebelling against population opinion. No scientist has ever claimed that they have found the gay gene which makes people gay, it is scientifically accepted that different prenatal factors contribute and they have found genetic links but no such thing as a 'gay gene'. The media coverage about the 'gay gene' are mostly dumb articles written by Daily Mail journalists who don't understand any of what they write about and are just looking for sensationalist headlines.

Quick Reply

Latest