The Student Room Group

Should genders exist as male and female?

Do you think that genders shouldn't exist, or should be on a scale? For example we are born either male or female sex but I believe that gender and our expected behaviour are more social constructs than something that our biology/sex determines. I do see that biologically men are naturally more aggressive and women more caring but in reality out natural personalities are all different and they along with experiences influence who we are. Many women are aggressive and many men are caring for example. I just see gender as a category of traits that a man or woman is expected (even though they arn't required to) display in their behaviour rather than a natural deposition of their sex.

I think that lots of behaviours that people class as the behaviour of a certain sex are just social constructs. The fact that girls should have long hair, blue is for boys and that skirts are for girls for example. These ideas are drilled into us and we automatically believe that that they are natural traits of a certain sex when hair is naturally long on both sexes, blue is just a colour (nothing to do with sex)and skirts are just a piece of material, yet we swear that they belong to a certain sex.

I saw an article on bbc news about this asking if there should be more than 2 genders or if genders should exist at all. I can't really discuss this with people in my life as they say that I'm thick and talk bull****, but I can't help the things I think about. What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

It's so much easier though. Guys should be tough, independent and rational, women should be beautiful, sensitive and dependent.

Life works better this way
Reply 2
Yes they should.

/thread.
Original post by Das Ich Man
It's so much easier though. Guys should be tough, independent and rational, women should be beautiful, sensitive and dependent.

Agreed
You are either a male or a female. ffs this world is so ****ed up we are actually questioning that.
Gender is a social construct that is on a spectrum and does not always directly relate to biological sex, so there are not only 2 genders
Original post by 0123456543210
You are either a male or a female. ffs this world is so ****ed up we are actually questioning that.

That's not (necessarily) what the OP was asking.

It's so annoying.
Reply 8

Male or female sex yes, no one is questioning that (not many anyway). I'm asking about gender or characteristics a certain gender is expected to display.
Original post by Mactotaur
That's not (necessarily) what the OP was asking.

Original post by Anonymous
Male or female sex yes, no one is questioning that (not many anyway). I'm asking about gender or characteristics a certain gender is expected to display.

See? They're not asking about the biological sex (genitalia, and so on). It's gender roles.
Reply 10
Do you think that genders shouldn't exist, or should be on a scale? For example we are born either male or female sex but I believe that gender and our expected behaviour are more social constructs than something that our biology/sex determines. I do see that biologically men are naturally more aggressive and women more caring but in reality out natural personalities are all different and they along with experiences influence who we are. Many women are aggressive and many men are caring for example. I just see gender as a category of traits that a man or woman is expected (even though they arn't required to) display in their behaviour rather than a natural deposition of their sex.

I think that lots of behaviours that people class as the behaviour of a certain sex are just social constructs. The fact that girls should have long hair, blue is for boys and that skirts are for girls for example. These ideas are drilled into us and we automatically believe that that they are natural traits of a certain sex when hair is naturally long on both sexes, blue is just a colour (nothing to do with sex)and skirts are just a piece of material, yet we swear that they belong to a certain sex.

I saw an article on bbc news about this asking if there should be more than 2 genders or if genders should exist at all. I can't really discuss this with people in my life as they say that I'm thick and talk bull****, but I can't help the things I think about. What do you think?

Interesting topic I must say... I have a forum similiar to this one called "Gender Peace" feel free to check it out OP but anyhoo, to answer that question I believe that's why we war so much between the battle of sexes. So I would say no there shouldn't be a gender label but instead individualism.
Wasn't pink the colour for guys initially? Then Hitler came along and said it was too feminine for men or some messed up **** like that right?

Anyway OP I totally agree with you :smile:
Original post by DedicatedWizard
Wasn't pink the colour for guys initially? Then Hitler came along and said it was too feminine for men or some messed up **** like that right?

I don't think it was Hitler who changed it, but I also heard on QI that blue was associated with girls and pink for boys
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DedicatedWizard

Here:

An article in the trade publication Earnshaw's Infants' Department in June 1918 said: "The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl"
Feminism gone wild
Original post by Das Ich Man

Works best for you maybe, but what if someone doesn't really want to be beautiful sensitive and dependant. Not only this but many women do not 'naturally' have these personality traits and many men do.
We have two genders: male and female, but either gender can do whatever the **** they want, there are no gender roles anymore.
Original post by BWV1007
We have two genders: male and female, but either gender can do whatever the **** they want, there are no gender roles anymore.

Sorted then :tongue:
There's no "should" about it - gender is at least in part biological and it's going to exist regardless of our opinions on it.

So, for example, if a person of the male sex doesn't like football and beers, he then cannot identify his gender as 100% male?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending