The Student Room Group

Should genders exist as male and female?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saoirse:3
There's no "should" about it - gender is at least in part biological and it's going to exist regardless of our opinions on it.

There are some elements of biology in gender but not that many I don't think, since personality is also determined by upbringing/expectations of how to behave and environment. If we are expected to be caring or tough there's a high chance we will be, bit like how people follow fashion :tongue:.
Original post by Anonymous
There are some elements of biology in gender but not that many I don't think, since personality is also determined by upbringing/expectations of how to behave and environment. If we are expected to be caring or tough there's a high chance we will be, bit like how people follow fashion :tongue:.

Indeed - gender roles are different and they do have some affect on behaviour, but there's also a lot of natural differences between men and women beyond just the phyiological ones.
People don't really expect you to have long hair, wear skirts, be a housewive etc.
You are free to do what you want, yes people may find you odd or even insult you if you stray from the norm but ultimately you're free to do what you want.
Men should be men, women should be women. Men can be effeminate or gay, women can lift, work etc. Gender fluidity is simply mental illness that seems to be pandered to today.
Original post by Saoirse:3
Indeed - gender roles are different and they do have some affect on behaviour, but there's also a lot of natural differences between men and women beyond just the phyiological ones.

How come theres so much overlap then, like I know plenty of tomboys at sports clubs who are tough, rational and don't take to babies or cute animals very well (I'm assuming these are female traits). That many that I wouldn't say they are a minority.
Original post by heineken
Men should be men, women should be women. Men can be effeminate or gay, women can lift, work etc. Gender fluidity is simply mental illness that seems to be pandered to today.

See, if women are not meant to lift then why does it have beneficial effects on their health if they do so. Lack of strength training (or exercising muscles through work as pre historic tribes would do) is a main reason why post menopausal women develop osteoporosis, apparently, so I read.
See, if women are not meant to lift then why does it have beneficial effects on their health if they do so. Lack of strength training (or exercising muscles through work as pre historic tribes would do) is a main reason why post menopausal women develop osteoporosis, apparently, so I read.

My point exactly, I like a woman with a muscular stature.
Reply 27
Gender as a biological idea that you have a penis or vagina clearly exists. Gender as a social construct of sexual behaviours shouldn't. Even as a spectrum it labels men and women with bad stereotypes that will clearly be linked to their biological gender.
Reply 28

I think you should read what you quoted more carefully.
Original post by Dheorl
I think you should read what you quoted more carefully.

I read it to mean that behaviour outside gender roles (gender fluidity) ie: women lifting, is mental illness, even though it offers health benefits and so results in more chance of survival.
Reply 30
I read it to mean that behaviour outside gender roles (gender fluidity) ie: women lifting, is mental illness, even though it offers health benefits and so results in more chance of survival.

"Men should be men, women should be women. Men can be effeminate or gay, women can lift, work etc."

As far as I can see they're saying that people should be happy to do whatever they want irregardless of what they biologically are.
Original post by Das Ich Man
It's so much easier though. Guys should be tough, independent and rational, women should be beautiful, sensitive and dependent.

Life works better this way

are you sh*tting me?? Do you actually believe that or are you just a mysogynistic d-bag who is too lazy too drag himself out of the 1950's??
People can be who/whatever they want. They can identify as one stereotypical gender or they can identify as no gender. They can be every ****ing gender under the ****ing sun if they want.

The reason I say this is not because I am superior in any way (before anyone passes a comment) but because the way somebody else chooses to live is none of my freakin' business, just like it is none of yours. I am a scientist by nature, but science is not an excuse or something you can hide behind so that you can dictate to other people what they feel and how they feel it is wrong just because you don't like it. SO STFU.
Reply 33
yes... yesh i knwo gender is a spectrum, but our society today belive in no seperation at all, and i honestly disagree, why can we just accept gender differences? i have nothing against androgyny or dysphoria, in fact i believe they are actual attitudes, but we need to realise that its okay a male or female
Only male and female sex (usually).

But gender's different. There needs to be more than two genders (otherwise where would I be?), though I do also believe that also gender is a social construct as are the stereotypes surrounding it, although if this is the case there still needs to be more than two genders bc some ppl don't feel comfortable in their own skin or in either sex's skin.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, why does my phone want me to write 'Hemophilia symptom'?
Original post by ezaraf
yes... yesh i knwo gender is a spectrum, but our society today belive in no seperation at all, and i honestly disagree, why can we just accept gender differences? i have nothing against androgyny or dysphoria, in fact i believe they are actual attitudes, but we need to realise that its okay a male or female

Thats exactly the point. You can be male. You can be female. You can be neither. You can be both.
People don't have to understand that, but we all need to back off and let people be whoever they want to be.
Original post by bichocolatecat
Only male and female sex (usually).

But gender's different. There needs to be more than two genders (otherwise where would I be?), though I do also believe that also gender is a social construct as are the stereotypes surrounding it, although if this is the case there still needs to be more than two genders bc some ppl don't feel comfortable in their own skin or in either sex's skin.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, why does my phone want me to write 'Hemophilia symptom'?

Why? Why do we need to make up a label for every single gender behaviour? The problem is that *some* people have a stereotypical view of what a male or a female is like. A female can be an aggresive truck driver with short hair, that doesn't make her any less female than someone who is a suburban housewife out of the 1950's. I find the Tumblr gender list incredibly annoying and pointless. Same with all these made up sexualities.

We're only one step away from calling people who date blondes blondesexual etc. It's just dumb.
Original post by JHPSC96
are you sh*tting me?? Do you actually believe that or are you just a mysogynistic d-bag who is too lazy too drag himself out of the 1950's??

1950s was way better than today tbh so i'll take that as a compliment.
I agree with you. We have two sexes but the idea of girls having to act one way and boys having to act another is crazy. if we don't act the way we are supposed to we are considered a weirdo. It's the way we've been brought up, we should raise all boys and girls the same! Also If a girl grows up to love cars then great! If a boy grows up to love fashion then that's great too! Because these simple things in life that make us happy should not be restricted to one gender. Who's to say what is wrong to like and dislike things just because we look different underneith our clothes.
Original post by Wolfegirl98
I agree with you. We have two sexes but the idea of girls having to act one way and boys having to act another is crazy. if we don't act the way we are supposed to we are considered a weirdo. It's the way we've been brought up, we should raise all boys and girls the same! Also If a girl grows up to love cars then great! If a boy grows up to love fashion then that's great too! Because these simple things in life that make us happy should not be restricted to one gender. Who's to say what is wrong to like and dislike things just because we look different underneith our clothes.

Nothing more manly than a moustache and a good suit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending