The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Does anything below really not sound stalkerish to you, if these are indeed you intentions?

"Hi there is this girl at your university who I really like her name is so & so, I know I'm being creepy in asking but can you also understand and be extra creepy and break data confidentiality laws and tell me information about said girl?"
(edited 8 years ago)
omg funny story right my friend hadn't talked to this guy for about two or three years, but before that they'd had an (online) relationship and she knew what school he went to
so she emailed them and they thought she was somebody asking about work experience so they passed her email on to him and he gave her his skype and yeah
so that was successful ??
I'd say it is pretty creepy though, also universities would be more careful than schools
If you actually happen to find out that she's a student there, how does that help you contact her personally anyway? You think they'll hand out her phone number too?
Original post by Anonymous
There's a girl that I've been messaging online for quite a substantial amount of time, however she seems to have suddenly just disappeared from the face of the planet. I know which university she goes to; what she studies and which year she's in. Would it be creepy to send a email to her university to ask if she's an actual student there, which may confirm if I've been catfished or not?

You need to go outside from time to time.
It would be creepy yes. I hope she is okay though! I've lost contact with so many online friends, it happens.
There's a girl that I've been messaging online for quite a substantial amount of time, however she seems to have suddenly just disappeared from the face of the planet. I know which university she goes to; what she studies and which year she's in. Would it be creepy to send a email to her university to ask if she's an actual student there, which may confirm if I've been catfished or not?

So assuming you dont have her on FB?

Most unis courses have a facebook group if the course is big enough, typically set up by the students themselves.

Join her course group and can see if she's in the group.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's to stop you just visiting the university? Most uni's you can just walk into into the daytime and no one knows who you are. Just find out the block where her subject is taught and surprise! right in the middle of her lecture. She'll no doubt be overjoyed that her long lost online friend managed to track her down :smile:
Two years? Frankly, you might as well just lop off your own testes and bury them in an unmarked grave for all the difference it would make.
Original post by Gavin2016
What's to stop you just visiting the university? Most uni's you can just walk into into the daytime and no one knows who you are. Just find out the block where her subject is taught and surprise! right in the middle of her lecture. She'll no doubt be overjoyed that her long lost online friend managed to track her down :smile:

And she'll probably express her joy by contacting security :tongue:
Original post by Quantex
And she'll probably express her joy by contacting security :tongue:

Possibly, but she needs to realize the error of her ways, just cutting of communication with such a dear friend as we have here is clearly not the way to behave in polite society :u:
Original post by PurpleSquid
holy crap this thread scared me enough to make me reply to my online pal that i hadn't messaged for a while ahahahahhaha

lol not gonna ignore you now @Helpme.
Reply 31
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
You think they'll hand out her phone number too?

I have her phone number, but her 'last seen' on WhatsApp was a week ago.

driftawaay
You need to go outside from time to time.

You shouldn't assume.

The Fuhrer
So assuming you dont have her on FB?

Well, she deactivated her Facebook over a year ago. The other platform we are connected through is Skype.
If you've got her phone number, call her? :s-smilie:
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Any question that begins, "Would it be creepy..." inevitably is answered with 'Yes'. If it occurs to you that such a thing might be construed as creepy, it inevitably would be.

Closure for online relationships aren't really necessary. Assume you were talking to a sentient dog that somehow gained the ability to type and act accordingly.

Closure for online relationships are as necessary as they are for any other relationship.
Original post by Tiger Rag
If you've got her phone number, call her? :s-smilie:

Okay, I didn't want to give too much away, but it seems that I must.

I sent her a message on WhatsApp and it wasn't even received by her, since there's only one tick. She actually studies abroad so I think what's likely to have happened is that she left her UK phone behind and didn't bother to pass on her term time digits to me.

Am I right in thinking that I should just take the hint?
Original post by _Bright Eyes
Closure for online relationships are as necessary as they are for any other relationship.

Sure, but impossible to get without stalking. The person the OP(Or anyone knows, for that matter) had a relationship online with could have been a man, a woman or the consequences of a thousand monkeys simultaneously slapping keyboards.

Does the OP really want to find out the person he was having a relationship with online was a 350 lb, tattooed prison-inmate with more hair on his bum than on his head? Because that's a possibility.

The OP should get closure in the same way he spent his relationship - By having it entirely within his own head. It's harsh, but its a reality with the anonymity of the Internet.
Reply 37

Am I right in thinking that I should just take the hint?

Yes.

TBH, it's not very subtle as hints go. Being out of contact on one platform could just be an oversight. Being uncontactable on all platforms, takes effort and planning these days. It's a conscious decision on her part. Just accept it and move on.

And to agree with other posters on your original question, the uni will not cooperate with your attempts to get back in contact. Yes, it would be very creepy of you to even try.
Original post by Klix88
TBH, it's not very subtle as hints go. Being out of contact on one platform could just be an oversight. Being uncontactable on all platforms, takes effort and planning these days. It's a conscious decision on her part. Just accept it and move on.

Well, she hasn't actually blocked me on Skype, which is the only other platform. So could it just be plain oversight on her part?
Reply 39
Well, she hasn't actually blocked me on Skype, which is the only other platform. So could it just be plain oversight on her part?

And yet you haven't been able to contact her on Skype. If I was trying to disappear, I'd just open a new Skype account under a different name and not access the old one any more.

As I said, one platform would be an oversight. Unavailable on all platforms is deliberate.

Latest

Trending

Trending