The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vblue77
It's #3 in law on the guardian league tables behind Oxbridge, I think it's the kind of thing where people don't think it's that good atm but when it comes to a few years time it might be a bit more reputable. Plus only 20% of QMUL law applicants get offers which is similar to UCL and KCL so that shows it might be kinda good I guess??
see Bristol isn't rated that highly on the league tables, the highest I've seen it is about 10 I think. But it's regarded as such a good uni?? Idk it's stressful haha

Domestic rankings place too much importance on student satisfaction, which is both inaccurate and irrelevant...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abhishek Dhawan
Good job on the offers. What were your predicted grades and when did you apply?

I'm predicted A*A*AA and I applied at the start of November (:
Original post by returnmigrant
Your Firm choice here rests on your confidence in achieving an A* and only you can judge that.

You haven't got an obvious Insurance choice there - bit late now, but you should have included an AAB choice even if it wasn't Law. Bristol looks like the most flexible offer so that might be the best Insurance choice from what you have.

General advice in Firm and Insuarnce choices here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices

Bristol and Manchester both accept Welsh Baccalaureate as one of the grades so that in itself is kind of a backup seeing as I already have an A* in it
Original post by *Stefan*
Domestic rankings place too much importance on student satisfaction, which is both inaccurate and irrelevant...

Posted from TSR Mobile

The offer rate is still easily comparable, and so what are you saying, the ranking for QMUL is inaccurate so therefore rankings for UCL, KCL and all the other 'good' unis must be inaccurate as well?
Original post by vblue77
The offer rate is still easily comparable, and so what are you saying, the ranking for QMUL is inaccurate so therefore rankings for UCL, KCL and all the other 'good' unis must be inaccurate as well?

Not really. QMUL merely benefits from the London scene and has been into both clearing and adjustment, whereas LSE/KCL/UCL/Bristol/Durham(apart from one irregular year) have not been into either adjustment or clearing for law for as long as I can remember...

When it comes to student satisfaction, the better unis tend to suffer the most, so yes I consider that inaccurate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elise1998
You will do!! Now that the deadline has passed they will probably be quicker! All the best!! :smile:

Thank you☺️you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I am going to Durham university tomorrow for a chat about a foundation course. I applied for the foundation Law course at Durham thinking it was a very long shot but now i have to go see someone about I'm starting to believe it might actually be a possibility. The problem is i already have a offer from Teeside uni for the full LLB degree and if i did get an offer from durham would anyone choose Durham over Teeside even if it as extra year?
Original post by JohnGreek
Guardian league tables have a comically high amount of outliers in them - I'd suggest looking at other rankings (CompleteUniversityGuide, THE and QS) to get a fuller picture. Compare the rankings across all four. Don't use applicants: places ratios to judge how good an institution is, they don't say anything about the calibre of the students other than there's a lot of them applying.

But if such a large amount of students are applying to a uni with that kind of entry requirements there must be something there to attract them??
Original post by KRowland
Hi, I am going to Durham university tomorrow for a chat about a foundation course. I applied for the foundation Law course at Durham thinking it was a very long shot but now i have to go see someone about I'm starting to believe it might actually be a possibility. The problem is i already have a offer from Teeside uni for the full LLB degree and if i did get an offer from durham would anyone choose Durham over Teeside even if it as extra year?

Absolutely and without hesitation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As far as I know, Durham's typical offers for IB students are 38, 766 or 666 at HL. Some people suggest that the 666 conditions are for those with better LNAT scores but I don't really know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What offers have Warwick been giving out?
Just got a rejection from UCL due to my LNAT essay :frown: as expected because it was just 300~400 words, though I got an offer from Birmingham so I'm not too sure how bad it was exactly

Does anyone know how much weightage UCL, KCL, Durham and Birmingham put on the LNAT? And how long were your essays?
Original post by beewilde
What offers have Warwick been giving out?

I got one for law and business studies in Nov 2 weeks after applying!
Original post by anitatoz
Just got a rejection from UCL due to my LNAT essay :frown: as expected because it was just 300~400 words, though I got an offer from Birmingham so I'm not too sure how bad it was exactly

Does anyone know how much weightage UCL, KCL, Durham and Birmingham put on the LNAT? And how long were your essays?

What are your predicted grades and gcse's? I also have offers from warwick/QMUL/Bristol but waiting for KCL and LSE. Applied on 5th nov and sat LNAT 19th October
Original post by anitatoz

When did you apply and took your LNAT?
Original post by Katbo
This is really quite obscene. In essence you're saying that foreign law lecturers are useless. I'd like to let you know that I was born in Europe but moved to UK at a young age and although my dad has an accent, he is by far the smartest man I know. He is a professor of Law and several of his also extremely intelligent colleagues are foreign but doesn't that simply highlight the fact that they've worked twice as hard despite a language barrier than their English as first-language speaking counterparts. They certainly would not have been hired if they were not better than the other candidates.
Just because someone has an accent, it does not mean they have 'difficulty speaking English'. Furthermore, I'd rather have a professor who is making amazing points in an accent, than a professor whose points are mediocre and are in English.
You're also saying that European all lecturers will be 'deported' as such which is just not true. Many, like my father, have a British citizenship so please do not assume that 'all these foreign law lecturers teaching in UK unis now will have to return back to their home countries.'
I am really quite shocked at the way you have expressed yourself. If you had articulated your opinions more sensitively and less judgmentally, I might not have been so angry to respond to your sweeping statements.

clearly you have a paragraphing issue so i shall number my points for your easy reference.
1) I did not say foreign lecturers were useless. You did.

2) Your father is the smartest man you know? That's nice. If you get into KCL, send my regards to Professor Vernon Bogdanor :tongue:

3) You say that your father is the smartest man you know and that he is a Professor of Law? Nice. Which uni is he at? can you ask Papa if the British monarchy ever gets itself involved in the law making process or if they have ever intervened in the government's affairs? I'm very keen to know his answer to this question.

4) you say that if they were not intelligent, they would not have been hired? the hiring process at UK unis is just one of the many scandals waiting to hit the ceiling fan in time to come. you see, if the recruiting officer for a particular University is from Country X, he will only shortlist Candidates from Country X and therefore the person to fill up the vacant teaching position will eventually be from Country X. it's a very biased recruiting process.

and please don't lecture me about gaining british citizenship. nowadays any tom, dick and harry can become a british citizen. my friend from China has never stepped into UK before but he has british citizenship because his father has invested millions of pounds in properties in UK. the british passport and british citizenship is nothing more than the banana notes used during the Japanese Occupation during WW2. It is worthless and meaningless.

5) I did not say that the European lecturers will be deported. Once UK pulls out of EU, UK will operate under a work permit system. So if you are an EU citizen working in UK, you will need to return back home and apply for a work permit. But of course you will need to compete with other suitable candidates from the Commonwealth countries who breath and live the English Common law.

of course this doesn't apply to those EU citizens who have already gotten british citizenships. I don't see why you would suggest that I suggested that in the first place. That's pretty logical isn't it? Lets move along.

6) You say that you are really quite shocked at the way I have expressed myself and that If I had articulated my opinions more sensitively and less judgmentally, you might not have been so angry to respond to my sweeping statements?

listen very carefully. I'm German and political correctness was what got many, many people on this forum banned for merely questioning the policy decisions linked to immigration/migration such as the one made by my Chancellor to allow all these migrants into my country
a) without checking if they are holding genuine passports
b) without checking if they have links to terrorist groups
c) without checking if they have criminal records in their home countries
d) without checking if they have HIV/AIDS

Now many of these migrants have turned Europe upside down. I hope all of you reading my post, bears this in mind. A country's sovereignty, security and safety of its citizens is so so important. With Merkel's blunder, we have become a carbon copy of UK & the rest of EU and their set of problems.

Original post by *Stefan*
Firstly, I don't think I said I'm gonna fix all of Greece's problems. I did say I want to get back and contribute, and thanks for your wishes, but I doubt I can do much more.Secondly, I doubt that matters much in terms of programme quality. The fact that someone speaks more clearly or that they make good jokes doesn't mean they are necessarily better than someone who doesn't.Where did you find all the recordings though?

nah. i remember you alright. you did say you would return back to your home country Greece and fix your country given the mess she is in. but honestly I think I know you. I think you'll just stay in UK, probably marry a British girl for the British citizenship and live happily ever after. Just be honest. It's ok. We understand your reasons if you ever did that.

where did I find the recordings? how many times do I need to repeat myself? I stated very clearly that I have friends in those unis and they have kindly emailed me video and audio recordings of their lecturers. So what does this prove? You and the rest here keep harping about reputation and rankings. I am focusing on level of teaching quality. Tell me. Which of the two is important? Obviously teaching quality cos if you don't understand what the lecturer is saying or if you have a very boring lecturer, you will probably end up getting low marks for exams because you just hate the subject and you won't revise for it because you have a lousy lecturer.

please stop humiliating yourself. time and time again you put out silly statements in your posts. at times you get away with it but i'm afraid this time I can't let you off the hook so easily. Before you edited your post (which you always do whenever you know you are gonna get caught out), you said that LSE was the best for teaching. ok cool. Have you ever crashed an LSE lecture? have you ever listened to an audio/video recording of an LSE lecture? even if you did, in order to make some basis of comparison, you should have attended or listened to audio/video recordings of law lecturers from Kings, UCL, Queen Mary and SOAS. how then were you able to deduce that LSE is the best for teaching :eek:

It's so sad to see a grown male like you who appears somewhat intelligent to make such silly assertions like this. so whats with you anyways? you declined all your offers and reapplied to LSE or you went to another uni instead cos you did not want to take a risk of wasting another year? whats the story now? and please don't change your tune again and again and again and again.

just to reiterate, I have listened to all the video recordings of law lectures from Kings, UCL, LSE, Queen Mary and SOAS. Kings was by far the best in terms of accent, lecture delivery, lecturer's ability to engage with the students from time to time, timely breaks and much more.
Reply 1415
I have applied for llb with history M1 V1 course and am curious if anyone else has applied for this course?
Reply 1416
Queen mary*
Less UKIP fangirling more Law talk please 😴
Original post by Audrey18
nah. i remember you alright. you did say you would return back to your home country Greece and fix your country given the mess she is in. but honestly I think I know you. I think you'll just stay in UK, probably marry a British girl for the British citizenship and live happily ever after. Just be honest. It's ok. We understand your reasons if you ever did that.

where did I find the recordings? how many times do I need to repeat myself? I stated very clearly that I have friends in those unis and they have kindly emailed me video and audio recordings of their lecturers. So what does this prove? You and the rest here keep harping about reputation and rankings. I am focusing on level of teaching quality. Tell me. Which of the two is important? Obviously teaching quality cos if you don't understand what the lecturer is saying or if you have a very boring lecturer, you will probably end up getting low marks for exams because you just hate the subject and you won't revise for it because you have a lousy lecturer.

please stop humiliating yourself. time and time again you put out silly statements in your posts. at times you get away with it but i'm afraid this time I can't let you off the hook so easily. Before you edited your post (which you always do whenever you know you are gonna get caught out), you said that LSE was the best for teaching. ok cool. Have you ever crashed an LSE lecture? have you ever listened to an audio/video recording of an LSE lecture? even if you did, in order to make some basis of comparison, you should have attended or listened to audio/video recordings of law lecturers from Kings, UCL, Queen Mary and SOAS. how then were you able to deduce that LSE is the best for teaching :eek:

It's so sad to see a grown male like you who appears somewhat intelligent to make such silly assertions like this. so whats with you anyways? you declined all your offers and reapplied to LSE or you went to another uni instead cos you did not want to take a risk of wasting another year? whats the story now? and please don't change your tune again and again and again and again.

just to reiterate, I have listened to all the video recordings of law lectures from Kings, UCL, LSE, Queen Mary and SOAS. Kings was by far the best in terms of accent, lecture delivery, lecturer's ability to engage with the students from time to time, timely breaks and much more.

Okay... First of all, I did not say that, at all. You simply interpreted it that way so you have something to repeat each and every time (and with different accounts each time). It has become quite annoying now, so you may as well stop. Also, I do not in fact intend to marry a girl in the UK, so cut me some silliness and stop being so idiotic with your remarks.

Secondly, it is obvious, as it always has been, that you're an immature little girl that hasn't even been to university. Don't act like you know your crap when you evidently don't. You have been arguing with people over mistaken matters from the very first time you used TSR, and that was of course arguing just for the sake it.

So full of crap. You know, I have friends at those universities too. Saying that KCL is better than LSE and UCL because the lecturers have better pronunciations is the epitomy of ignorance and immaturity. The way someone pronounces words does not signify their intelligence or their ability to teach. I'm not surprised you think so considering you have no idea of what University is like.

If I'm talking silly, you're talking BS. Don't try to excuse yourself with petty arguments. I did not say that LSE has better teaching - I said LSE is better overall. Teaching is only part of a long chain. And that said, anecdotal evidence of yours is hardly reliable anyway. Why should I or anyone else trust your evident bias? It's obvious you want to go to KCL (yes, your other posts make that clear as well), and you can't protect your judgment from your excitement. Not a virtue of a good law student may I say.

Erm, what? I don't have a clue about what you're talking about... :confused:

Just to reiterate: Considering how immature and over-the-top you sound, I'm going to stick with my own opinion. Next time, maybe attempt to judge a person's arguments instead of assailing that person with your ad-hominems. You may be immature but some things gotta be told. Also, as above, stop being such a UKIP fangirl... Seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1419
Original post by Audrey18
clearly you have a paragraphing issue so i shall number my points for your easy reference.
1) I did not say foreign lecturers were useless. You did.

2) Your father is the smartest man you know? That's nice. If you get into KCL, send my regards to Professor Vernon Bogdanor :tongue:

3) You say that your father is the smartest man you know and that he is a Professor of Law? Nice. Which uni is he at? can you ask Papa if the British monarchy ever gets itself involved in the law making process or if they have ever intervened in the government's affairs? I'm very keen to know his answer to this question.

4) you say that if they were not intelligent, they would not have been hired? the hiring process at UK unis is just one of the many scandals waiting to hit the ceiling fan in time to come. you see, if the recruiting officer for a particular University is from Country X, he will only shortlist Candidates from Country X and therefore the person to fill up the vacant teaching position will eventually be from Country X. it's a very biased recruiting process.

and please don't lecture me about gaining british citizenship. nowadays any tom, dick and harry can become a british citizen. my friend from China has never stepped into UK before but he has british citizenship because his father has invested millions of pounds in properties in UK. the british passport and british citizenship is nothing more than the banana notes used during the Japanese Occupation during WW2. It is worthless and meaningless.

5) I did not say that the European lecturers will be deported. Once UK pulls out of EU, UK will operate under a work permit system. So if you are an EU citizen working in UK, you will need to return back home and apply for a work permit. But of course you will need to compete with other suitable candidates from the Commonwealth countries who breath and live the English Common law.

of course this doesn't apply to those EU citizens who have already gotten british citizenships. I don't see why you would suggest that I suggested that in the first place. That's pretty logical isn't it? Lets move along.

6) You say that you are really quite shocked at the way I have expressed myself and that If I had articulated my opinions more sensitively and less judgmentally, you might not have been so angry to respond to my sweeping statements?

listen very carefully. I'm German and political correctness was what got many, many people on this forum banned for merely questioning the policy decisions linked to immigration/migration such as the one made by my Chancellor to allow all these migrants into my country
a) without checking if they are holding genuine passports
b) without checking if they have links to terrorist groups
c) without checking if they have criminal records in their home countries
d) without checking if they have HIV/AIDS

Now many of these migrants have turned Europe upside down. I hope all of you reading my post, bears this in mind. A country's sovereignty, security and safety of its citizens is so so important. With Merkel's blunder, we have become a carbon copy of UK & the rest of EU and their set of problems.

Okay, let me apologise for my unclear paragraphing. In response, I shall also number my points.

1) Yes, my father is the smartest person I know. This is subjective, and of course I'm not referring to him as the smartest person in the world, just the smartest I know. If you would like to know more about him here's his Wikipedia page or feel free to message me, I can tell you more if you are interested. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiří_Přibáň

2) I asked what he thought in response to your 3rd point over lunch and he said: "NO to the first question and NO to the second one if she/he means 'intervening in executive power'."

3) Please don't say any Tom, Dick, or Harry can acquire British citizenship because it does mean that they have had to study general knowledge of Britain, and I'm sure that some questions would not be answered confidently even by British born citizens without looking it up.

I don't really want to argue with you any more because some people are just arrogant and cannot be helped.

So I am signing off and returning the 'Law Offers for 2016' thread back to its purpose!:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending