The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Computer Science 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingKumar
Just edited it in, applied for the MEng Computing. I reckon it's because: 1. our applications aren't good enough and they plan on rejecting us later; or 2. our applications are alright (on the boundary) and they're waiting till they get all the applications in to compare them to then choosing the best of worst if you know what I mean; or 3. they have indeed got a tonne of applications to go through and are processing them in a weird order, which I kinda doubt since I applied like mid October

Hopefully it is number 2, but i think they should give us an interview because we do meet the minimum entry requirements and i think they should assess us fairly as they might find out things about us that is not stated on our ps
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Darshan98
I was talking about the majority of people beacuse like you said it is not true for all of them.
I am currently in year 11 and I am looking forward to do CompSci at Imperial so I was just reading all the relevant stuff on TSR to aid me with my A-Level choices and I made this 'interesting' observation which has now confused me again.
I am planning to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science outside school :smile:

oh okay well if you ever need any assistance just pm me. i'm always happy to help :smile:
Original post by Ganja_Saurus
oh okay well if you ever need any assistance just pm me. i'm always happy to help :smile:

Thanks a lot! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 143
Guys I'm so worried - I applied (for the MEng) absolutely agggeessss ago but I haven't got an interview yet. I emailed them in December and they said they just had loads of applicants to process but I'm worried that my PS didn't have any impressive CS accomplishments or that they somehow got a hold of my ****ty MAT score for Oxford. Don't think only doing 3A2s is the reason either - they've already sent offers to people with only 3A2s already.

GCSE: 10A*s 1A. AS: AAAA in Maths, F.Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Predicted A2: A*A*A in Maths, F.Maths and Physics.

I have pretty much the exact same GCSEs, AS results (swap Chemistry for Politics) and predicted A2 grades as you. My CS accomplishments were just some simple websites and API stuff in Javascript, literally nothing too impressive but my interview's on Wednesday.

I'm sure you'll hear back, they release them in batches before each interview day. Next couple are in February so I think you'll likely hear back a bit before then, probably sometime after this Wednesday.

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zshn
my interview's on Wednesday.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reassurance, good luck for your interview!
Reply 145
Thanks for the reassurance, good luck for your interview!

Thanks! Anyone else got an interview today?
Yeah, dun dun duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun what groups are people in? I'm in 5
Reply 147
Original post by mkwhater
Yeah, dun dun duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun what groups are people in? I'm in 5

I'm Group 1! Interview's at 2pm, when's your's?
Original post by zshn
I'm Group 1! Interview's at 2pm, when's your's?

4pm (ugh)
Reply 149
May I ask a question here?

Has anyone received any email asking about your plan of choosing courses and relevance with own experience? I received an email like this but not mentioned about interview.

I'm applying MSc. Computiong-ML.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 150
Original post by mkwhater
4pm (ugh)

Good luck man!
I just got an interview (3rd Feb) for BEng Computing - honestly did not expect that considering I got AS: AAAA (mind you i got AABB in yr 12 and retook those B's to get an A in yr 13) and A2:AAB (i'm a gap year and retaking some A2's this yr and predicted A*AA).

My grades are probably some of the lowest (for Imperial Computing standards) and yet I managed to cop an interview ahahahaha my personal statement must've baaaaanged
Reply 152
Does anybody know what the remaining interview dates are for Computing? I've heard that there's one on 3rd February and 17th February but is there also one on the 2nd March?
Reply 153
Two left in February according to the application page (under the How to Apply section)

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/prospective-students/courses/ug/beng-meng-computing/
Original post by NT226
Does anybody know what the remaining interview dates are for Computing? I've heard that there's one on 3rd February and 17th February but is there also one on the 2nd March?

Original post by realhb
Two left in February according to the application page (under the How to Apply section)

I can't find it now but when I looked at a staff calendar a while back they had listed one more interview day in the beginning of March. Maybe this date has been scrapped or being used as a backup?

Edit: here - http://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/staff/
(edited 8 years ago)
On my interview day back in December they said at that point they had already received something like 20% more applicants than last year for the department, and were projecting that by the deadline they would have something like 40% more applicants than last year, they said getting to interview was a huge achievement so they do not interview all those that meet the requirements, only a select few. A lot of my friends have applied and interestingly all those who applied to Oxbridge haven't heard and those that didn't have offers from imperial already. This isn't to say Oxbridge candidates won't get offers but perhaps they don't invite them to interview till after they would have heard from Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Course: MEng Computing (w/ International Year)
Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics
AS Grades: AAAA (Dropped Chemistry)
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*

Offer: A*A*A (Maths, Further Maths, Physics)

For some context: Applied a few days before the Oxbridge deadline and had an interview on 25th November. Got the offer about 2 weeks after (though I only knew the grades required through UCAS a week after that) which was reassuring after my rejection from Oxford a few days prior.
My previous CS experience was from a week's work experience and from the CS50x online course, in case anybody is waiting for an interview and comparing themselves with other people.
I can't find it now but when I looked at a staff calendar a while back they had listed one more interview day in the beginning of March. Maybe this date has been scrapped or being used as a backup?

Edit: here - http://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/staff/

Seriously don't worry about not getting an interview early, half the people in my group got into oxbridge so I very much doubt they get the best people in early; they may do it by surname or some other criteria. Also they have only done 4 out of 7 interview days (one of the helpers told me this) so don't worry!
Reply 158
I still haven't heard from Imperial yet. I applied in early October too. Will I even get an interview?

Course: BEng Computing
Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing, Chemistry (AS)
Grades: AAAAA
Predicted: A*A*A*A*
Don't worry I haven't heard from them either and I applied late October, I've been in touch with the admissions team and they said that there are many applications to process through and it doesn't mean that you're a bad candidate, they're processing them so hopefully we'll hear back soon

I'm also applying to BEng Computing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending