The Student Room Group

driving test in 2 days (friday) but my driving has become REALLY bad :(

my driving test is this friday, 22nd.
I've had 48hrs. my instructor has been telling me I'm 100% ready for my test since October but I put it off due to nerves.

I booked it end of December, and now that it's days away, exactly what I thought would happen, is happening:my skills as a driver have practically vanished (ok maybe that's an exaggeration lol but I feel like it)
I had a lesson today, which basically went absolutely sh**.
knowing my test is coming up has made me become an awful driver, I feel like I'm back to square one.
I stalled 3 separate times moving off at traffic lights, my gear changes are jumpy, getting too close to parked cars, instructor had to use duals a few times, observations aren't great. the only thing I can still do well is my manoeuvres.

put it this way, if I could, I'd cancel my test but that isn't an option since I don't fancy losing out on £62.

I tried the chewing gum "trick" this lesson but that didn't work for me. felt like it distracted me from driving more than anything lol

so does anyone have any other tips/tricks to help with nerves???
I'm thinking of buying that rescue remedy or kalms stuff, since I know it's all nerves and my mindset that's causing this.
Original post by louisawc
I've had 48hrs. my instructor has been telling me I'm 100% ready for my test since October but I put it off due to nerves.

I booked it end of December, and now that it's days away, exactly what I thought would happen, is happening:my skills as a driver have practically vanished (ok maybe that's an exaggeration lol but I feel like it)
knowing my test is coming up has made me become an awful driver, I feel like I'm back to square one.
I stalled 3 separate times moving off at traffic lights, my gear changes are jumpy, getting too close to parked cars, instructor had to use duals a few times, observations aren't great. the only thing I can still do well is my manoeuvres.

put it this way, if I could, I'd cancel my test but that isn't an option since I don't fancy losing out on £62.

I tried the chewing gum "trick" this lesson but that didn't work for me. felt like it distracted me from driving more than anything lol

I'm thinking of buying that rescue remedy or kalms stuff, since I know it's all nerves and my mindset that's causing this.

I felt the same before mine - I think I had around 3 hours left when I started mucking up big time. Then in the last two lessons everything clicked and I felt in the 'zone' and I ended up passing first time despite being so nervous on the day. So I would suggest just taking lessons until you're comfortable before the test, or try your best to manage your nerves.
Reply 2
In regard to stalling, one of my friends stalled 5 times on her test and passed, so long as you handle it safely its fine, but just slow down. Whenever people stall its usually just trying to rush everything, so take a deep breath before moving off and slowly go through the motions. You know what to do, you just need to slow it done a bit :smile: Take deep breaths, sometimes i'll speak to myself if i'm messing up out of nerves "Just calm down, you know what to do.." and then talk yourself through the motions. Breathing exercises, going for a run can help, reassuring yourself that you can do this, or herbal remedies and such can help. Just remember: You know how to drive. You just need to go at the pace you're comfortable with, and take a deep breath :smile: Good luck on Friday! <3

Hey,

If your instructor is confident in you then I expect that your nerves are getting the better of you and that's why you feel your skills have vanished... they won't have you just need to get in as much practice before the test as possible and if you can try to take the pressure out of it.

One thing to try would be to do some belly breathing before you drive, it's a technique that people use for anxiety as it brings your heart rate to a nice relaxed state, I think it's something like breath in (to your belly not your chest) for 7 seconds and out for 11?
on the way to my test I was so focused on passing my test. So were I live with a roundabout with zebra crossing just before it. approaching the roundabout so focused on the test and makeing sure i driving perfectly i missed people crossing the crossing. My instructer then had to step on the breaks, it shook me up, but focused me for my test. i went on to pass first time.
Reply 5
Original post by georgeheal
on the way to my test I was so focused on passing my test. So were I live with a roundabout with zebra crossing just before it. approaching the roundabout so focused on the test and makeing sure i driving perfectly i missed people crossing the crossing. My instructer then had to step on the breaks, it shook me up, but focused me for my test. i went on to pass first time.

this happened to me too lol. hope it doesn't happen on the test!
Reply 6
Original post by Ckite
In regard to stalling, one of my friends stalled 5 times on her test and passed, so long as you handle it safely its fine, but just slow down. Whenever people stall its usually just trying to rush everything, so take a deep breath before moving off and slowly go through the motions. You know what to do, you just need to slow it done a bit :smile: Take deep breaths, sometimes i'll speak to myself if i'm messing up out of nerves "Just calm down, you know what to do.." and then talk yourself through the motions. Breathing exercises, going for a run can help, reassuring yourself that you can do this, or herbal remedies and such can help. Just remember: You know how to drive. You just need to go at the pace you're comfortable with, and take a deep breath :smile: Good luck on Friday! <3

ahh thank you so much! I'll definitely take your advice. I'll be using tomorrow to put any techniques into practice and really calm myself down, and hope for the best on friday :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Queen Cersei
Hey,

If your instructor is confident in you then I expect that your nerves are getting the better of you and that's why you feel your skills have vanished... they won't have you just need to get in as much practice before the test as possible and if you can try to take the pressure out of it.

One thing to try would be to do some belly breathing before you drive, it's a technique that people use for anxiety as it brings your heart rate to a nice relaxed state, I think it's something like breath in (to your belly not your chest) for 7 seconds and out for 11?

looked into the belly breathing thing you mentioned and it definitely seems like it will be useful for me. thanks for that suggestion x
Reply 8
Don't worry about it, I think you are displaying some mind over matter, just in a negative way. You need to tell yourself you are ready for this and you are gonna pass.

And I feel that almost anyone can set-off and not stall, it's only when you feel pressured by cars behind you that problems occur.

So just remember you paid a boat load of money to get to the test stage and that mf in the range rover behind you can wait as long as it takes.

Also, give it some extra throttle if you struggle setting off. In racing you simply rev you're engine to about 4K revs and DUMP the clutch, meaning no feeling for the biting point you just let off 100%. Obviously don't do that on your test, but it just shows how revving can make stalling impossible.
Reply 9
Original post by MasonM
Don't worry about it, I think you are displaying some mind over matter, just in a negative way. You need to tell yourself you are ready for this and you are gonna pass.

And I feel that almost anyone can set-off and not stall, it's only when you feel pressured by cars behind you that problems occur.

So just remember you paid a boat load of money to get to the test stage and that mf in the range rover behind you can wait as long as it takes.

Also, give it some extra throttle if you struggle setting off. In racing you simply rev you're engine to about 4K revs and DUMP the clutch, meaning no feeling for the biting point you just let off 100%. Obviously don't do that on your test, but it just shows how revving can make stalling impossible.

Lol the range rover bit made me laugh. Thanks a lot for your advice, I'll defo take it. Only a day left to go! I'm feeling more confident :smile:
looked into the belly breathing thing you mentioned and it definitely seems like it will be useful for me. thanks for that suggestion x

Good luck for today! Let us know how it goes :smile:
Reply 11
Good luck for today! Let us know how it goes :smile:

I failed, had the test at 8:20am. Not upset about it surprisingly (thought I'd be in tears), I'm more proud of myself for not letting nerves get the better of me, pass or fail.

I technically got 11 minors, but 5 minors were in the same section, so it turned into one serious. The 5 minors were all in the "following distance" (too close to car infront) section.

It was rush hour so I got stuck in very slow traffic. Stopped behind a car and could see their tires on the ground so thought it was ok. But when I first stopped, I saw the examiner mark something. So I took a wild guess, and thought it was for stopping too close to the car (turns out it was). I tried to fix it by pulling back as the traffic moved, but the car behind me was so far up my bum, I could barely do anything lol. Plus the driver was giving me evils through the rear view mirror (somebody didn't want to go to work this morning), so I didn't wanna brake abruptly infront of Mr Grumpy, incase he beeped at me or something :frown: thought that would make things worse and didn't wanna take the chance so I continued.

I watched the examiner mark every time I stopped in that traffic (5 times in total) and I knew I'd failed. So annoying! If the traffic wasn't so long, I would've been able to get out of the situation quicker, and could've just had 1/2 minors for it :frown:

BUT, on a good note, I wasn't nervous at all! The test was nothing like I expected/heard from others (it wasn't the most awful and daunting 40mins of my life at all lol), and the time flew by. Left the centre at 8:24 and arrived back at 9:07, but it literally felt like 10mins! I drove into the test centre thinking "huh? is that it? already? that's what I've been losing sleep over?" ha

One thing I did learn: minors add up so fast! 5 minors just for how close I was (supposedly) to a car in slow traffic seems a bit harsh to me. Wouldn't class that as a habitual fault. I'd understand if it happened 5 separate times, but to literally mark every time I stopped knowing there wasn't much I could do considering the car behind me? gahhh

Just going to book another one asap, and try to get a cancellation for the start of Feb :-) think I'll go for a test between 10am and 1pm next time, don't wanna jinx myself with slow rush hour traffic again! lol
I failed, had the test at 8:20am. Not upset about it surprisingly (thought I'd be in tears), I'm more proud of myself for not letting nerves get the better of me, pass or fail.

I technically got 11 minors, but 5 minors were in the same section, so it turned into one serious. The 5 minors were all in the "following distance" (too close to car infront) section.

It was rush hour so I got stuck in very slow traffic. Stopped behind a car and could see their tires on the ground so thought it was ok. But when I first stopped, I saw the examiner mark something. So I took a wild guess, and thought it was for stopping too close to the car (turns out it was). I tried to fix it by pulling back as the traffic moved, but the car behind me was so far up my bum, I could barely do anything lol. Plus the driver was giving me evils through the rear view mirror (somebody didn't want to go to work this morning), so I didn't wanna brake abruptly infront of Mr Grumpy, incase he beeped at me or something :frown: thought that would make things worse and didn't wanna take the chance so I continued.

I watched the examiner mark every time I stopped in that traffic (5 times in total) and I knew I'd failed. So annoying! If the traffic wasn't so long, I would've been able to get out of the situation quicker, and could've just had 1/2 minors for it :frown:

BUT, on a good note, I wasn't nervous at all! The test was nothing like I expected/heard from others (it wasn't the most awful and daunting 40mins of my life at all lol), and the time flew by. Left the centre at 8:24 and arrived back at 9:07, but it literally felt like 10mins! I drove into the test centre thinking "huh? is that it? already? that's what I've been losing sleep over?" ha

One thing I did learn: minors add up so fast! 5 minors just for how close I was (supposedly) to a car in slow traffic seems a bit harsh to me. Wouldn't class that as a habitual fault. I'd understand if it happened 5 separate times, but to literally mark every time I stopped knowing there wasn't much I could do considering the car behind me? gahhh

Just going to book another one asap, and try to get a cancellation for the start of Feb :-) think I'll go for a test between 10am and 1pm next time, don't wanna jinx myself with slow rush hour traffic again! lol

Hey!

Ahhh that's a bummer but I'm so glad that you weren't nervous! I cannot believe you got minors for the stuff, and when I took my test you could get 12 minors and still pass as long as you didn't have a major... they have made it so unbelievably strict now!

Well done though, still sounds like you did really well... for your next test defo avoid rush hour though as you will get drivers being in a rush and a bit more aggressive!
I was so nervous on my test the test dude told me to pull over and get out and stretch my legs. Still passed. If you feel your nerves getting the better of you take a breather - as long as you do it safely you won't get marked down for it.
Reply 14
Hey!

Ahhh that's a bummer but I'm so glad that you weren't nervous! I cannot believe you got minors for the stuff, and when I took my test you could get 12 minors and still pass as long as you didn't have a major... they have made it so unbelievably strict now!

Well done though, still sounds like you did really well... for your next test defo avoid rush hour though as you will get drivers being in a rush and a bit more aggressive!

I know right. "Minors" are exactly that, minor. Don't think people should be failed on that alone but oh well. Fingers crossed for second time lucky :smile:
Reply 15
I recommend around 11am for a test. Doing a test during rush hour is just adding extra pressure that you don't need.
Reply 16

By the sound of things you are one step closer to passing, so get a little bit more practice in and im sure you'll smash it sometime soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending