The Student Room Group

why does my doctor gave me antibiotic for viral infection?

i fell sick with high fever, dragged my feet to visit a doctor while feeling toasted and dizzy. Doctor said its a viral infection, and will prescribe me antibiotic, but ....isn't antibiotic uselss against virus? I didn't ask the doctor when i was there because i was half dead and can't think straight.

Scroll to see replies

http://www.drugs.com/article/antibiotics-and-viruses.html

strange prescribing by your doctor ... is he an experienced physician ?
Original post by the bear
http://www.drugs.com/article/antibiotics-and-viruses.html

strange prescribing by your doctor ... is he an experienced physician ?

i supposed so
Original post by HucktheForde
i fell sick with high fever, dragged my feet to visit a doctor while feeling toasted and dizzy. Doctor said its a viral infection, and will prescribe me antibiotic, but ....isn't antibiotic uselss against virus? I didn't ask the doctor when i was there because i was half dead and can't think straight.

He/ she might be ruling out bacterial infection? I don't know
Because your doctor's an idiot that doesn't care about antibiotic resistance and is used to having patients whine at them because they have a virus so just prescribes everyone antibiotics to shut them up, whether they complain or not?
if its viral, you shouldnt be given antibiotics wtf :/

youre right OP, antibiotics are useless against viral infections :sigh:
Reply 6
Maybe it wasn't just a viral infection...

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyway i have taken my first dose so i will finish it.
Reply 8
I believe your doctor thinks your virus may be a transformer and eventually (like bumblebee) would become a bacteria.

:redface:
Original post by jcampos
i believe your doctor thinks your virus may be a transformer and eventually (like bumblebee) would become a bacteria.

:redface:

robots in disguise
I had viral pneumonia and was given 2 lots of antibiotics to make sure there wasn't any other bugs lurking about as a precaution. I was shocked too as you hear so much about overusing antibiotics and how bad that is.
Reply 11
So you can stay home the next time you're sick
Original post by abruiseonthesky
Because your doctor's an idiot that doesn't care about antibiotic resistance and is used to having patients whine at them because they have a virus so just prescribes everyone antibiotics to shut them up, whether they complain or not?

pretty much this.

If my doctor prescribed me antibiotics for a viral infection I'd change doctors immediately. Antibiotic resistance and overuse of antibiotics is no joke and is quickly becoming one of the biggest global problems.

BOOOOM
You
go
Girl
<3
That GP can sit the **** down and shut the **** up
You TOLD him
Original post by SophieSmall
pretty much this.

If my doctor prescribed me antibiotics for a viral infection I'd change doctors immediately. Antibiotic resistance and overuse of antibiotics is no joke and is quickly becoming one of the biggest global problems.

LOVE this response too.

The guy even said he was only half aware what was going on.

Probably misunderstood/misheard the doctors reasoning but people love annihilating doctors so go you
Original post by happydapdap
LOVE this response too.

The guy even said he was only half aware what was going on.

Probably misunderstood/misheard the doctors reasoning but people love annihilating doctors so go you

Because my biology degree has taught me absolutely nothing about this topic, this is of course coming from a place of complete ignorance :rolleyes:
Because my biology degree has taught me absolutely nothing about this topic, this is of course coming from a place of complete ignorance :rolleyes:

Biology degree =/= Medical degree and GMC registration
Reply 17

#youAintNoDoctorBruv

X'D

Spoiler

clearly this doctor didn't do GCSE biology !!!
Because, unfortunately, doctors are often faced with patients who simply can't understand, or just don't care, about the differences between a virus and bacteria. They go to the doctor expecting more than just a visit- they expect something done, even if that something is utterly useless.

Faced with the huge problem of antibiotic resistance, which will probably gift us with major pandemic in the next few years, one option may be to give patients sugar pills instead of antibiotics for viral illness. But that raises the whole ethical issues about lying to patients about what they're taken.

Quick Reply

Latest