The Student Room Group

British people are proud of colonialism and the British Empire, poll finds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
1) being proud of something which happened before you were born is fundamentally irrational
2) the British Empire was ultimately a dreadful thing, but it's not something which needs to be apologised for either

Just as a side note, does your point 1 mean I can't be proud that John Lennon was British?
Original post by EtherealNymph22
Just as a side note, does your point 1 mean I can't be proud that John Lennon was British?

Yes.
Yes.

But I can still listen to and appreciate his music in the same way that people who were alive when he was did.
I am generally quite proud of the Empire of this fine nation.

Of course, they were some unsavoury actions, to say the least, but, on the whole, it was a glorious moment in this country's rich history.
But I can still listen to and appreciate his music in the same way that people who were alive when he was did.

Yes. Appreciation != pride though.
1) being proud of something which happened before you were born is fundamentally irrational
2) the British Empire was ultimately a dreadful thing, but it's not something which needs to be apologised for either

I repped you by accident.

Can you expand on this point? For example, I'm proud of the achievements my mother and father have obtained. Is this irrational? (Before I was born)
Yes. Appreciation != pride though.

But pride is sometimes an outcome of appreciation?
Original post by al_94
Wow British are racist

Are you proud of the Islamic Empires?
Original post by MountKimbie

Can you expand on this point? For example, I'm proud of the achievements my mother and father have obtained. Is this irrational? (Before I was born)

I love how you clarified that you repped by accident.
Reply 29
Its not as black and white as some of you are making it out to be. Yes, there were bad, disgusting things that would have been considered immoral that went on in the empire, but that doesn't take away from the more positive parts of the empire for gods sake some people just find an excuse to comment on others' moral standings.
I love how you clarified that you repped by accident.

I entirely agree with the point, hence the rep. I also disagree at the same. I didn't really think about it and just repped, hence the accident.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MountKimbie

Yes. Pride is an emotion centering around belief that one has done something for which one ought to be valued. Pride for the achievements of others therefore has no basis.

But pride is sometimes an outcome of appreciation?

See above.
Yes. Pride is an emotion centering around belief that one has done something for which one ought to be valued. Pride for the achievements of others therefore has no basis.

See above.

That's your definition of pride though. Google says otherwise.

"feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of one's close associates, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired"

E.g. "the faces of the children's parents glowed with pride"

Have you never used the sentence 'I'm so proud of you' or been on the receiving end of the sentence?
Original post by the bear
i am proud of the Empire and am desperately sad that it has been stolen from us.

"Stole it from us"? Who stole it? We handed most of it over voluntarily.
The Independent have produced a video outlining "five of the worst atrocities carried out by the British Empire":

1. Boer Concentration Camps (1899-1902)
- 107,000 people were detained in overcrowded camps
- Nearly 30,000 Boers died from diseases as a result of scant rations

2. Amritsar Massacre (1919)
- Up to 1000 protestors were killed in 10 minutes by soldiers

3. Partitioning of India (1947)
- Over 10 million Hindus in Pakistan and Muslims in India were forced to leave their homes
- Up to 1 million people lost their lives in sectarian killings

4. Mau Mau Uprising (1951-1960)
- Thousands of Kenyans were abused, raped and tortured by British forces during the Uprising
- Up to 100,000 died during the Uprising

5. Famines in India (1943)
- Up to 29 million Indians starved to death under the control of the British Empire
Original post by moezoeboe
I am generally quite proud of the Empire of this fine nation.

Of course, they were some unsavoury actions, to say the least, but, on the whole, it was a glorious moment in this country's rich history.

What are you comparing it with? For example, how would Africa have developed without European colonialism?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
"Stole it from us"? Who stole it? We handed most of it over voluntarily.

the ingrates bit the hand that fed them :yep:
Reply 37
Original post by the bear
i am proud of the Empire and am desperately sad that it has been stolen from us.

Excuse me but much of the empire was stolen from the caliphate. Thats why we are getting you back now.:u:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
What are you comparing it with? For example, how would Africa have developed without European colonialism?

I'm not comparing it with anything.

It wouldn't have (and it still really hasn't).
Original post by moezoeboe
The Independent have produced a video outlining "five of the worst atrocities carried out by the British Empire":

1. Boer Concentration Camps (1899-1902)
- 107,000 people were detained in overcrowded camps
- Nearly 30,000 Boers died from diseases as a result of scant rations

2. Amritsar Massacre (1919)
- Up to 1000 protestors were killed in 10 minutes by soldiers

3. Partitioning of India (1947)
- Over 10 million Hindus in Pakistan and Muslims in India were forced to leave their homes
- Up to 1 million people lost their lives in sectarian killings

4. Mau Mau Uprising (1951-1960)
- Thousands of Kenyans were abused, raped and tortured by British forces during the Uprising
- Up to 100,000 died during the Uprising

5. Famines in India (1943)
- Up to 29 million Indians starved to death under the control of the British Empire

The 1943 famine was probably avoidable as well, the authorities were pretty much indifferent.

We also shouldn't forget British/English conduct in Ireland - for example, a neo-genocide following Cromwell's invasion back in the 17th Century. Cromwell was one of the early inventors of the post-medieval empire.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending