The Student Room Group

EEA migrant worker

Hi!

I have a doubt: I am a spanish student, moving next week to London to work as an au pair till September 2017, that would be 19 months (when I will start Uni). I will be working whilst studying to support myself.

Will I be entitled to the maintenance loan as a EEA migrant worker?

Thank you!
Hi alemangerman.

Can you please try and ask all questions in one post and we will try and assist you.

This is the criteria for migrant worker:

Be EEA or Swiss National

Be resident in the EEA/Switzerland for 3 years prior to the start of their course

Be resident in England on the first day of the first academic year

They, their parent/step-parent, or partner* must be working throughout their studies

Show they are in employment which is effective and genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or infrequent where they would not be able to support themselves financially

Be working throughout their studies and receive remuneration for this work ie wages, but can also receive ‘pocket money’ for voluntary employment such as ‘Au Pair

Thanks
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi alemangerman.

Can you please try and ask all questions in one post and we will try and assist you.

This is the criteria for migrant worker:

Be EEA or Swiss National

Be resident in the EEA/Switzerland for 3 years prior to the start of their course

Be resident in England on the first day of the first academic year

They, their parent/step-parent, or partner* must be working throughout their studies

Show they are in employment which is effective and genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or infrequent where they would not be able to support themselves financially

Be working throughout their studies and receive remuneration for this work ie wages, but can also receive ‘pocket money’ for voluntary employment such as ‘Au Pair

Thanks

Sure, sorry about that! Thought you wanted one thread per topic...

So just to be clear.
-I am an EEA National
-Have resided for 22 years in EEA
-Will be resident in England by the first day of the academic year.
-My parents own and work in a bookstore (they have been self-employed for 30 years)
-I start working next week as an Au Pair and will be working throughout my studies.

So then, am I eligible, right?

What would I need to proof all of this?

Thank you very much
Hi again,

Yes you would be eligible. You will be asked for standard ID to prove you are an EU national as well as evidence of your continued work and how you are paid.

Thanks.
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi again,

Yes you would be eligible. You will be asked for standard ID to prove you are an EU national as well as evidence of your continued work and how you are paid.

Thanks.

Thank you again!

What evidence would that be? So I am ware of it. I will be paid weekly by the host family.

Thank you again!
Hi

If are applying for support as an Au-Pair then we would need to see a letter from the host family confirming whether you reside in the house with them, what there general duties are, and how much they are paid for this. We will also ask for a copy of the CRB check and medical report, if you applied through an agency, and these were carried out.We would then continue to ask for a letter from the host family for each term to release the support, confirming the above each time.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending