The Student Room Group

British people are proud of colonialism and the British Empire, poll finds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by al_94
Wow British are racist

wow ! BEING PROUD OF YOUR COUNTRY IS NOW " RACIST " ? ............... Quit your moaning
Original post by HucktheForde
And they were right. The empire sparked the first world war. No empire and free trade is much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you will find that an assassination "sparked" the first world war.
Original post by Chateaudee
It is true you can't help those who helped themselves but leave them alone. As as for the Transatlantic slave trade, the British and others benefited more than the Africans who sold their people into slavery. They paid the Africans next to nothing compared to what they earned working the enslaved on the Caribbean plantations to produce sugar that the colonies didn't get but was sent back to Britain.

So are you now putting business ethics/fairtrade on an even moral standing as slavery now? It's very interesting to see you play the victim on the behalf of those poor hard done-by slavers.
lmao! But I thought HE was the best thing ever and because HE is so great that was why the British HAD to beat his teachings into the African slaves and the natives in the Caribbean.

:biggrin: times have changed

now most just think he's a dick.
Original post by BaconandSauce
This I agree with (I have family in Australia who are there because a child stole a piece of bread)

Well at least your family got to go to Australia. In the Caribbean you were killed. When the British came to my island there were hundreds of thousands of natives. A few African slaves were here too who had escaped from neighboring islands. We were one of the last to be colonized. The French came even before the British and they left the island as is, we still have some French named places because of this but not the language. The British decided that they wanted the island to expand their plantations and they fought the natives eventually killing the chief and the natives surrendered. Only few thousand were left. The British then loaded them up and shipped them to a smaller island that also made up this territory. By the time they were rescued, only a couple hundred were left as the island was not suitable for anyone to live, it's basically rock with no trees and the not good for planting anything. They got sent to central america where they eventually thrived. We are still lucky, because islands like Barbados were completely wiped out and taken over by the British.
The British public are generally proud of their country’s role in subjecting the world to colonialism and the British Empire, according to a new poll.

At its height in 1922 the British Empire governed a fifth of the world’s population and a quarter of the world’s total land area, but its legacy divides opinion.

Common criticisms of the empire include its policies causing millions of famine deaths in British India, its running of brutal detention camps in occupied territories, and massacres of civilians by imperial troops.

The British Empire was also a dominant slave-trading power until the practice was outlawed in 1807, after which the Empire played key a role in ending the practice internationally.

The Empire’s proponents say it brought economic development to parts of the world and benefited the countries it controlled.

David Cameron has previously said the Empire should be “celebrated”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/british-people-are-proud-of-colonialism-and-the-british-empire-poll-finds-a6821206.html

anyone finds this disturbing?

Says the one who has a picture of Anjem Choudary as their avatar .....
When the British came to my island there were hundreds of thousands of natives.

Except it's only your island because we took your people their.

It is no more your island than the it is the British and at least we had the decency to leave.

But I hope you're posting from your Island and not from the UK as this would be a little hypocritical of you don;t you think.
Original post by Jebedee
So are you now putting business ethics/fairtrade on an even moral standing as slavery now? It's very interesting to see you play the victim on the behalf of those poor hard done-by slavers.

So if the British wanted sugar plantations why not plant the sugar cane in the UK? Why come a kill the natives in the Caribbean for the land? Why buy people to work on these plantations? Why not pay their own British ppl to work on them? Why rape the women? Is it that their own whites woman were too ugly or the sex wasn't that good or the white women thought them to be repulsive idiots so they didn't want to give it up? There was nothing fair nor ethical about the British and their operations.
:biggrin: times have changed

now most just think he's a dick.

ironic isn't it lol
Ingerlund Ingerlund Ingerlundddd

This is me off to get me van sprayed white
(edited 8 years ago)
So if the British wanted sugar plantations why not plant the sugar cane in the UK? Why come a kill the natives in the Caribbean for the land? Why buy people to work on these plantations? Why not pay their own British ppl to work on them? Why rape the women? Is it that their own whites woman were too ugly or the sex wasn't that good or the white women thought them to be repulsive idiots so they didn't want to give it up? There was nothing fair nor ethical about the British and their operations.

Nope, I am not saying it was ethical...but the intentions were no more or less ethical than anyone else, the only difference was the capabilities and the drive. Africans were kidnapping, enslaving, raping and murdering Europeans as early as the 16th century, so perhaps that could be why they didn't feel quite the pang of guilt you would like them to.

P.S: Even Julius Caesar alluded to the ugliness of British women I believe. Many people still do today, including myself. So perhaps there is some truth in your statement.
Except it's only your island because we took your people their.

It is no more your island than the it is the British and at least we had the decency to leave.

But I hope you're posting from your Island and not from the UK as this would be a little hypocritical of you don;t you think.

I am a descendant of the natives. Because of our mountainous island some escaped to the mountains because the British could not navigate. There are a few islands like that (St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Dominica etc). So yes it's MY island. The British only left when slavery was abolished and some even stayed after. There are still families here whose great grandfathers were plantation owners and their family homes are the old plantation homes.

And yes i'm posting from beautiful St. Vincent and the Grenadines! :smile:
Original post by Jebedee
Nope, I am not saying it was ethical...but the intentions were no more or less ethical than anyone else, the only difference was the capabilities and the drive. Africans were kidnapping, enslaving, raping and murdering Europeans as early as the 16th century, so perhaps that could be why they didn't feel quite the pang of guilt you would like them to.

P.S: Even Julius Caesar alluded to the ugliness of British women I believe. Many people still do today, including myself. So perhaps there is some truth in your statement.

lmao
Original post by AlwaysWatching
I think you will find that an assassination "sparked" the first world war.

There were many reasons that started the first world war. That assassination is the trigger, not the cause. Tensions between nations were already high due to different reasons. The main cause of Britain's participation in wwi however, is due to the competition for markets as Germany became an industrial power. Otherwise Britain has no reason to participate in that war.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
There were many reasons that started the first world war. That assassination is the trigger, not the cause. Tensions between nations were already high due to different reasons. The main cause of Britain's participation in wwi however, is due to the competition for markets as Germany became an industrial power. Otherwise Britain has no reason to participate in that war.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, wrong again. The main reason we joined is because Germany invaded Belgium. Tension had existed I agree, and that lead to an arms race which of course escalated tension along with nationalism, militancy and a whole host of other reasons. But you are, and have shown repeatedly throughout this thread, ignorant on colonialism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_World_War_I

Blaming it largely and solely on colonialism and fiscal markets between Britain and Germany is simplistic ignorance at best. Britain didn't even start the First World War, and it was Germany that declared war on Russia, which, because of their alliance with France, thus obliged the Germans to also go to war with the French. Because of the German military plans, this meant an invasion of Belgium, whom the British were obliged to defend.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheArtofProtest
The Arab Empires (or more accurately, the Islamic Empire/s) were nothing like the British.

How so?
Tbh I think arab treatment of South/Se Asians in present day gulf/Qatar/Dubai is far more urgent (and this is coming from someone pro muslim) That is real slavery and has been going on for decades relatively unreported.
There are so many other British things to be proud of.

Like beans on toast.

The Empire was no beans on toast.
Original post by al_94
Wow British are racist

how?
I wish we still had the empire.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending