The Student Room Group

Help! Do I need to pay my tuition fees?!

So I've just started the 2nd term of my course and I absolutely hate it. It's nothing like how I imagined and I have no interest in pursuing it as a career anymore. I am planning on dropping out and reapplying for a different course starting in September. My only concern with this is my tuition fees - I'm guessing they've already been paid for this year, so will I have to pay them myself for my next course? Any help or advice greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by 2761555
So I've just started the 2nd term of my course and I absolutely hate it. It's nothing like how I imagined and I have no interest in pursuing it as a career anymore. I am planning on dropping out and reapplying for a different course starting in September. My only concern with this is my tuition fees - I'm guessing they've already been paid for this year, so will I have to pay them myself for my next course? Any help or advice greatly appreciated :smile:

Hi there. I'm not SAAS but I can provide you with some info here. If you are starting another course from first year, and have only had one year of funding already (not studied previously), this would be classified as a 'false start' year so you can still have 4 years of funding available (based on you studying in Scotland on a 4 year degree) - but as always, check with SAAS directly. If you are thinking about dropping out, remember to speak to your university Registry/Student Records team to ensure you complete what you need to and they can provide more advice for you. But SAAS do have provisions in place for students who change course so don't worry about it.
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Original post by Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Hi there. I'm not SAAS but I can provide you with some info here. If you are starting another course from first year, and have only had one year of funding already (not studied previously), this would be classified as a 'false start' year so you can still have 4 years of funding available (based on you studying in Scotland on a 4 year degree) - but as always, check with SAAS directly. If you are thinking about dropping out, remember to speak to your university Registry/Student Records team to ensure you complete what you need to and they can provide more advice for you. But SAAS do have provisions in place for students who change course so don't worry about it.
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)

I was hoping you could help, I'm a second year Scottish student. I changed my course at end of first year and went into second year. Now I've changed my course again, and will have to repeat second year. I have already had two years of funding, and wanted to know where saas would fund the other 3 years. Or I will have to fund the extra year??
Original post by Unigirlinamess
I was hoping you could help, I'm a second year Scottish student. I changed my course at end of first year and went into second year. Now I've changed my course again, and will have to repeat second year. I have already had two years of funding, and wanted to know where saas would fund the other 3 years. Or I will have to fund the extra year??

Hi there. It is possible they will fund you as you have not used the '+1' year, however this is usually referred to as the 'false start' so is typically for those commencing their first course and changing to another. As you have already made one change, this may impact your eligibility. I would advise calling up to discuss - 0300 555 0505
They will be able to give you a firmer answer as eligibility is also different if you are choosing certain types of courses (Nursing or Allied Health Professions for example can differ). But if you explain your situation they can give you a clear answer.
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Original post by Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Hi there. It is possible they will fund you as you have not used the '+1' year, however this is usually referred to as the 'false start' so is typically for those commencing their first course and changing to another. As you have already made one change, this may impact your eligibility. I would advise calling up to discuss - 0300 555 0505
They will be able to give you a firmer answer as eligibility is also different if you are choosing certain types of courses (Nursing or Allied Health Professions for example can differ). But if you explain your situation they can give you a clear answer.
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)

Thanks for your reply, even if they don't pay for the extra year. Will they still fund the other 2 years?
Original post by Unigirlinamess
Thanks for your reply, even if they don't pay for the extra year. Will they still fund the other 2 years?

Yes, you should still be able to receive the final 2 years as you have not 'used' that funding already so that will still stand for you.
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending