The Student Room Group

Am I a good candidate for this degree?

I am looking to study either Politics and Economics/PPE at university and I wanted to know some information about this degree. I am currently studying Maths, History and Chemistry, with Physics AS. I am wondering if any one has any information on whether I am a good candidate for Oxford, Warwick, Bristol, UCL/LSE and Southampton. I ot 4A* 5A at gcse and predicted AAA/A*AA at A-Level. I am also planning to do an EPQ in a related discipline to Politics and Economics, but I was wondering if my application will struggle as I do not study Economics or Politics.

If anyone is taking this course could you tell me if you enjoy it and what A-Levels you did? Also, what are the career prospects, I am not looking for anything fancy tbh, I really am considering something like diplomacy.
you might struggle with pure economics at University without it (Econ)
Reply 2
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
you might struggle with pure economics at University without it (Econ)

What about Economics and Politics or the Economics in PPE? I heard that the economics in this is the minor of the degree. Thanks for your answer :smile:
Original post by clement345
What about Economics and Politics or the Economics in PPE? I heard that the economics in this is the minor of the degree. Thanks for your answer :smile:

I'm not entirely sure if I recall this correctly but I have a friend who studies PPE but as he had not studied Economics he was compelled to take the Politics and Philosophy route and says he has not enjoyed it very well. Of course his case will not be exactly applicable to you and only you would be able to determine if you would enjoy this philosophy component through researching the course structures at your unis. If you still have doubts in regards to that then the best way to get definite answers would be to attend open days in the summer or to drop an email to the admissions teams. As for your suitability I definitely think you're academic profile would be suited so there's no reason not to apply for such a course, as it shows very high grades and consistency too (provided you achieve them for A2, which is much easier said than done!). I applied this year for Politics and International Relations with ACCDU AS grades and managed to obtain offers from Nottingham, Southampton and Birmingham so far, so your ambitions are well placed! On a final note despite your GCSE success you don't want to be in my situation and underestimate the jump between the two but I'm sure you knew that already and are working hard :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Salsa123
I'm not entirely sure if I recall this correctly but I have a friend who studies PPE but as he had not studied Economics he was compelled to take the Politics and Philosophy route and says he has not enjoyed it very well. Of course his case will not be exactly applicable to you and only you would be able to determine if you would enjoy this philosophy component through researching the course structures at your unis. If you still have doubts in regards to that then the best way to get definite answers would be to attend open days in the summer or to drop an email to the admissions teams. As for your suitability I definitely think you're academic profile would be suited so there's no reason not to apply for such a course, as it shows very high grades and consistency too (provided you achieve them for A2, which is much easier said than done!). I applied this year for Politics and International Relations with ACCDU AS grades and managed to obtain offers from Nottingham, Southampton and Birmingham so far, so your ambitions are well placed! On a final note despite your GCSE success you don't want to be in my situation and underestimate the jump between the two but I'm sure you knew that already and are working hard :smile:

Congratulations on your offers, I think Southampton is an amazing uni, love the city and also really enjoy the atmosphere when I went there, that's why I will be applying there :biggrin: I think I will definitely apply for Politics and Economics at Bristol, Southampton and maybe UCL, I am still wondering though whether I should do History and Economics or PPE at Oxford and LSE. I don't do Economics, but I think both say how Maths A-Levels is more appropriate for the course. I am also looking to maybe take Politics or Economics A-Level fast track, but I do not know if this is a good idea, what are your thoughts if you don't mind me asking?:smile:
Original post by clement345
Congratulations on your offers, I think Southampton is an amazing uni, love the city and also really enjoy the atmosphere when I went there, that's why I will be applying there :biggrin: I think I will definitely apply for Politics and Economics at Bristol, Southampton and maybe UCL, I am still wondering though whether I should do History and Economics or PPE at Oxford and LSE. I don't do Economics, but I think both say how Maths A-Levels is more appropriate for the course. I am also looking to maybe take Politics or Economics A-Level fast track, but I do not know if this is a good idea, what are your thoughts if you don't mind me asking?:smile:

Unfortunately I'm not well rehearsed with this course in particular and so I would have to do some research before getting back to you, you might find it beneficial to do the same by visiting their undergraduate pages and see what details they put on it. On face value though I would suggest you take the history and economics route purely down to the fact that you are studying it at A level and so in the eyes of an admissions tutor they would see you do have some academic background in that subject to bridge the gap with the university curriculum for that course as opposed to PPE which not only proves to be more competitive but also tends to be far more challenging even if you have done a lot of work around the subject without the official qualifications in it. I will try and fill you in if I manage to find anything and do let me know about what you manage to find as well! (Apologies for the long sentence got carried away LOL)

Quick Reply

Latest