The Student Room Group

I really need help with the camebridge igcse English language

I don't know what's wrong with me, i'm doing well in all my other subjects but i find English language quit hard. I always felt as if i was born as a maths guy not an English guy :smile:. Does anyone have a checklist i can follow for a high grade in the exam or any useful tips. Thank you.
Original post by Mo De
I don't know what's wrong with me, i'm doing well in all my other subjects but i find English language quit hard. I always felt as if i was born as a maths guy not an English guy :smile:. Does anyone have a checklist i can follow for a high grade in the exam or any useful tips. Thank you.

For me as well. Maths is easy for me but not English....
Work on past papers, as it is all unseen for the exam it's harder than literature to revise as there really is nothing to go over or 'learn' as such, it's just a case of applying skills. Work on answering exam questions in the given time space as sometimes it's alot to write in two hours and people can struggle with time management which can ultimately affect their grade as one of the points on the mark scheme is to have all points well developed and EQUALLY developed across the board. Speaking of which, check the mark schemes and examiners report of previous years to get an idea of what the examiner does/doesn't want. Hope this helps
Original post by Mo De

With English, you really need to have the basics as your solid foundation. So you need to:

- Work on spelling, punctuation, grammar and structure.

How you do this:

- Read. It's the best thing you can do to improve your English skills. Even if it's just a few pages per evening of a book. It improves your comprehension, vocabulary and your writing. Try to read a newspaper daily - read the different sections even if it's one piece from each section.

- Write. Read a news article or a blog piece about something that interests you and then summarize it in your own words without referring back to it. Get someone to read it and check the spelling/punctuation/grammar. Keep a journal or write a blog - it can be about anything you like, even if it's just about your day to day life. Writing anything will help you to structure your thoughts and improve your English skills.

- Study the past papers.

A lot of people don't put as much effort into English as they do with Maths but just like with Maths, you need to practice. So keep reading and writing and doing past papers. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by somethingbeautiful
With English, you really need to have the basics as your solid foundation. So you need to:

- Work on spelling, punctuation, grammar and structure.

How you do this:

- Read. It's the best thing you can do to improve your English skills. Even if it's just a few pages per evening of a book. It improves your comprehension, vocabulary and your writing. Try to read a newspaper daily - read the different sections even if it's one piece from each section.

- Write. Read a news article or a blog piece about something that interests you and then summarize it in your own words without referring back to it. Get someone to read it and check the spelling/punctuation/grammar. Keep a journal or write a blog - it can be about anything you like, even if it's just about your day to day life. Writing anything will help you to structure your thoughts and improve your English skills.

- Study the past papers.

A lot of people don't put as much effort into English as they do with Maths but just like with Maths, you need to practice. So keep reading and writing and doing past papers. Good luck!

Thank you so much, your help was very useful :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by caitlinford3
Work on past papers, as it is all unseen for the exam it's harder than literature to revise as there really is nothing to go over or 'learn' as such, it's just a case of applying skills. Work on answering exam questions in the given time space as sometimes it's alot to write in two hours and people can struggle with time management which can ultimately affect their grade as one of the points on the mark scheme is to have all points well developed and EQUALLY developed across the board. Speaking of which, check the mark schemes and examiners report of previous years to get an idea of what the examiner does/doesn't want. Hope this helps

Yh it really helped, thank you so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest