The Student Room Group

Judge rules refugees in Calais must be brought to the UK

Poll

Should UK borders be opened to 'refugees' in Calais

A judge rules refugees (including kids and adults) must be brought to the UK from Calais

Surely this could open UK borders to tens if not hundreds of thousands of 'refugees'

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/20/four-syrian-refugees-must-brought-calais-camp-britain-judges-rule
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No thank you, it just encourages more to go there. The place should be bulldozed and protected by armed troops.
4 people, whom have applied for asylum have been ordered to be let in, because they have family in the country.

Unless these hypothetical hundreds of thousands of refugees living in squalor in calais all have relatives in the UK it doesn't set a precedent.
Reply 3
Original post by Ace123
A judge rules refugees (including kids and adults) must be brought to the UK from Calais

Surely this could open UK borders to tens if not hundreds of thousands of 'refugees'

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/20/four-syrian-refugees-must-brought-calais-camp-britain-judges-rule

So because these illegal economic migrants have relatives here they automatically get to ignore rules on refugees (entitled only in the first safe country they arrive at)? There's no way they'll return to France if their asylum claim is granted there.

This just opens the flood-gates for dad to leave his family behind in the middle east, jump on a boat and illegally enter the UK, then demand his family are brought to join him.
(edited 8 years ago)
And most misleading thread title of the year goes tooooooooooooooooooooo...............

this one.

Seriously? The article you linked is titled 'Four Syrian refugees must be brought from Calais camp to Britain, judges rule', FOUR, f, o, u, r. They have relatives in Britain too. The article also says they're Syrian, and they don't deserve the hellish situation in the Calais camp to escape the hellish situation in Syria.
Reply 5
Original post by Craig1998
And most misleading thread title of the year goes tooooooooooooooooooooo...............

this one.

Seriously? The article you linked is titled 'Four Syrian refugees must be brought from Calais camp to Britain, judges rule', FOUR, f, o, u, r. They have relatives in Britain too. The article also says they're Syrian, and they don't deserve the hellish situation in the Calais camp to escape the hellish situation in Syria.

because the ruling will apply to anyone claiming it is not limited to those 4 people others will be allowed to make the same claim
Original post by Ace123

No, he ruled that four specific refugees be allowed to enter for the purposes of family reunion. This does not open the border, it is a specific and limited decision pertaining to those four people specifically
Original post by Ace123
because the ruling will apply to anyone claiming it is not limited to those 4 people others will be allowed to make the same claim

You are completely wrong, it does not apply to anyone claiming. If there are broader implications, parliament can legislate to deal with the issue.
(edited 8 years ago)
No thanks i value the safety of my female relatives and friends
Original post by Ace123

So you've randomly selected a news article from the thousands of other cases that have happened? Surely some other refugees would have applied to live in the UK with their families?

Stop trying to scare people. There is a refugee crisis and thats not the way to solve it.
Reply 10
Refugees should definitely be allowed into the UK.

"Refugees" (economic migrants) should not be allowed into the UK unless through the standard procedure (getting a visa etc).
So you've randomly selected a news article from the thousands of other cases that have happened? Surely some other refugees would have applied to live in the UK with their families?

Stop trying to scare people. There is a refugee crisis and thats not the way to solve it.

Build a wall and make them pay, that will solve it.
FOUR, f, o, u, r.

Original post by Gwilym101

Unless these hypothetical hundreds of thousands of refugees living in squalor in calais all have relatives in the UK it doesn't set a precedent.

Original post by RegencyTwink
No, he ruled that four specific refugees be allowed to enter for the purposes of family reunion. This does not open the border, it is a specific and limited decision pertaining to those four people specifically

It is a legal precedent, under the human right to family life, that means any family that can infiltrate just one member into the country can expect that person to be allowed to pull the remainder of the family after them.
Original post by Good bloke
It is a legal precedent

Which could be overturned on appeal, or for which parliament could legislate to overturn.

Given the judgment hasn't yet been released, you are not in a position to say how broadly applicable this precedent is. Just because two cases share similarities in particular facts does not mean that one will necessarily be a precedent for the other, the material legal facts are what matters.

under the human right to family life

I see no evidence that this case was decided on Article 8 considerations; it looks to me it was decided with reference to the Dublin regulations (for which the UK has a home affairs opt-out). I await the release of the judgment with interest
Didn't you read a recent article about the Calais jungle? A Dutch film maker was filming the conditions there when 3 migrants pinned him down and one tried to stab him.

Do I want these scum who have no respect for British values to come over here? No I don't.

As for the article, it's only four people who have family here. Not too bad but wouldn't let anyone in.
It is a legal precedent, under the human right to family life, that means any family that can infiltrate just one member into the country can expect that person to be allowed to pull the remainder of the family after them.

But surely the family in the uk have to be here legally?
Original post by Gwilym101
But surely the family in the uk have to be here legally?

Illegal immigrants who are caught normally claim asylum to legitimise their presence.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Didn't you read a recent article about the Calais jungle? A Dutch film maker was filming the conditions there when 3 migrants pinned him down and one tried to stab him.

Do I want these scum who have no respect for British values to come over here? No I don't.

As for the article, it's only four people who have family here. Not too bad but wouldn't let anyone in.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/2637452/British-journalism-student-gang-raped-in-Calais.html
Reply 18
Why, they're in France, just stay there.

I was under the impression that was already a thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending