The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Economics - Course Ambassador Q&A

Hello,

My name is Alice and I am the course ambassador for economics, currently in my third year at Middlesex University studying BSc economics.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have about any of the economics courses at the university, and I will try and reply as soon as I can.

Scroll to see replies

how is the second year & third year of economics? is it manageable? is it a big difference from the first year?
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Original post by itachi-uchiha
how is the second year & third year of economics? is it manageable? is it a big difference from the first year?

Hey, thanks for your message! The biggest jump for me was the maths; it does get quite a bit harder in second and third year but is manageable as the lecturers are all pretty good and always help out if you ask. The other subjects just build on what you learnt in first year, so as long as you attend lectures and do the seminar work etc, you will be absolutely fine. If I can advise anything, it would be that attendance really is key! If you attend all lectures it will only be a small step up each year :smile:

Hope that helps! If you have any other questions let me know.
Thank you very much. Advice from a third year is much more appealing than asking teachers these questions. Thank you very much once again, and will do if any other question pops up
Reply 4
Could you post here an example question of the maths in third year please. Thanx.

That is the hardest maths that you will encounter, I struggle a lot with maths, and it takes a lot of work for me to understand it all, but I understand that for some this may be relatively simple. For others that struggle with it, like myself, it looks very daunting however the lecturers really are fantastic, and help you with any question you have, however complicated or simple.
Original post by Nununu
Could you post here an example question of the maths in third year please. Thanx.

I have posted an example, however as it includes an image, it is waiting to be checked by the site's admin, if you look back in a couple of hours, it should have loaded by then!
i was just wondering if i revise and take notes from the recommended online books and go ahead of the class, would i be able to get a good grade by the end of the year? (first year student btw)
i was just wondering if i revise and take notes from the recommended online books and go ahead of the class, would i be able to get a good grade by the end of the year? (first year student btw)

Hey,

Thanks for your question. My best advice would be to contact your module leader, the reason I say this is because we do not cover everything in the recommended books, and a lot of my modules only seem to relate to 3 or 4 chapters, as opposed to the whole book. Obviously reading will always aid you with your economics knowledge, however if you wish to do reading to aid your studies directly, you will find it far more beneficial to ask someone what you will be studying, and to base all your reading around those areas.

Sometimes I also find that reading ahead of the class can lead to some confusion, however that is just my personal opinion.

If you attend all your lectures and read up on anything you have covered in class, but are still unsure about, there is no reason why you will not get good grades.

If you have any more questions let me know and I will try my best to help :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
What would be some good maths topics to study before starting the course
Original post by vibrata
What would be some good maths topics to study before starting the course

I would suggest looking at derivatives and the different rules.
This week has been a relatively quiet week, I had a sudden realisation that I have a lot of essay and project deadlines looming in March so am now cracking on with all of these! I have two essays, one long report and some group coursework to complete, so have decided to complete them all as soon as possible to allow for revision later on in the year. I had all my usual lectures this week (4 hours Monday, 3.5 hours Tuesday and 2 hours Wednesday), as well as a rugby game on the Wednesday afternoon. On Wednesday evening I worked at an event at the university where I got to meet a few of the prospective economics students starting next year, and it was good to see how enthusiastic people were! My rugby team also won £30 at the pub quiz on Wednesday, so all in all it was a great day! Thursday and Friday were very quiet, I get both these days off, so did a bit of work and completed household chores, and again have spent most of the weekend trying to start some of the work due in March. I also have a couple of graduate job interviews in the next couple of weeks, and I find it really useful to actually read up about the companies, as I have found a lot do tend to ask questions to test your knowledge. Next week I am planning on going shopping for a suit to wear to the interviews, as even though it shouldn't necessarily be the case, you are instantly judged on your appearance.

Alice

Middlesex Course Ambassador

Economics
Good luck with your assignments & upcoming job interviews. I wish you the very best. Thanks for giving us a little insight into the life of a third year student - I think that's great way of putting things into perspective.
What I've been doing this week - 31/01/16

This week is still consumed by a gigantic work load, what with all the coursework deadlines I have coming up in March/April, but it is slowly but surely decreasing as I get my head down. I purchased myself a MacBook to see if this will inspire me to do some more work, so far it seems to have worked! Monday was a pretty quiet day; I had the usual lectures and not much else, so filled in the gaps trying to get one of my 2500 essays complete - I have to compare Europe and America in terms of economic productivity, it requires quite a bit of background reading and research to be able to write enough in enough depth, so rather than actually writing anything, most of my time has been researching.

Monday evening I had a slight accident which meant I landed myself in A&E (not one of my finest moments!!!) so had to miss university on Tuesday, not a big deal because thankfully my econometrics tutor puts all of the class work and powerpoints online, so I was able to catch up on the work I missed on Tuesday evening/Wednesday.

Wednesday was game day for the rugby team, but as I am now on crutches I didn't attend. The team did amazingly though, and from what I have heard, they played fantastically and really put up a fight! I spent Wednesday catching up on the work missed on Tuesday and then went up to my family home to see everyone until Sunday.

I spent Thursday-Sunday seeing friends and family at home, but managed to fit in quite a bit of work and reading, which is very easy to do seeing as I can access all of my textbooks on the university website. It feels a bit relentless at the moment - forever having work/reading/revision I should be doing, however it will all be more than worth it when it comes to graduation in the summer!

Tomorrow (Monday), I have my first face to face interview for a graduate job! I am pretty nervous, but I've done quite a lot of background work, reading everything they recommended I read, making sure I feel as prepared as I possibly can! I will let you all know how it goes it next weeks' update to give you all a taste of what your future interviews may be like.

Alice

Economics
(edited 8 years ago)
Good luck with your assignments & upcoming job interviews. I wish you the very best. Thanks for giving us a little insight into the life of a third year student - I think that's great way of putting things into perspective.

Thanks! It's nice to know that my posts help people :smile: I will be posting weekly updates from now on, and if there's anything you want to specifically know or anything you want me to cover in more depth, just let me know!
What I've been doing this week - 07/02/16

This week has been rather subdued! I had my usual lectures, continued to crack on with my end of year essays that are due in the next couple of months and started to arrange my notes ready for some proper revision to start.

I had my job interview for my graduate job - I was so nervous beforehand, it was my first ever proper job interview (excluding part time and summer jobs)!! It was quite intense, there were two interviewers and they asked around 20 questions all related to how I could demonstrate certain qualities they are looking for for in a future employee. There were 16,800 applicants, 1000 got to interviews and now I'm waiting to see if I have got one of the 25 jobs they have available. Fingers crossed but the odds aren't looking too good - it is so competitive!

I have realised that preparation for interviews really is everything, I spent hours going over what I thought they would ask, and what I would say - it really helped! It also seems to be incredibly important to do things outside of your degree and educational studies, everywhere asks about sports, societies and other extra curricular activities.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask me, no question is too small or silly if it's bugging you :smile:

Alice

Economics
What I've been doing this week - 14/02/16

This week the women's hockey team had a massive 11-0 win, so we went and celebrated by attending the sports valentines party at the student union. The sports parties are by far the best social events at the university, and joining a couple of sports teams has given me the best social circle I could wish for.

I have spent a considerable amount of time in the library in the past week, the amount of coursework I currently have is slightly overwhelming but it is very rewarding being able to see it decrease slowly.

Applying for jobs has also been a priority of mine this week; it is very time consuming due to the amount of questions they ask, and the number of tests one is expected to complete. I think it is paramount that you read about any job position before applying, to ensure you would actually like the role if you were to be offered it, as there is no point wasting time unnecessarily applying, no matter how desperate you are for a job.

Alice

Economics
What I've been doing this week - 28/02/16

This week consisted of a couple of interviews for graduate jobs; one telephone and one video. As I do more of them, I seem to be getting the hang of it and far more aware of what the employers are looking for and how to successfully conduct my interviews.

I spoke to quite a few potential students this week - so many seem enthusiastic, its really cool! There was also an applicant day run for economics students to give them a taste of what it will be like to study as a full time economics student at Middlesex University that I participated in on Saturday. There is going to be another one for economics students at the university on 19/03 so if you couldn't make the one yesterday, drop me a message and I will see if I can book you on to the next one as they are incredibly beneficial!

There is now an Instagram page being run by all the course ambassadors and we all post once or twice a week to give everyone a taste of university life - if you haven't looked at it yet, check it out by searching: mdxcourseambassadors.

I shall be making more calls to potential students next week and I look forward to speaking and meeting you either again or for the first time in the foreseeable future!

Alice

Economics
What I've been doing this week - 06/03/16

This week has been incredibly intense! It has been elections week for the new student union team, and there has been a lot of campaigning taking place across campus! A couple of my friends were going for positions so I have been helping them walking around campus, trying to encourage people to vote. The results were on Friday, and I can tell you that you have an amazing student union team lined up for you this coming academic year!!!

We now have an instagram account (mdxcourseambassadors) so if you haven't headed over there yet, go and give it a look, as it gives you more of an insight about the university life and all the individual course ambassadors!

The end of the year is drawing in scarily fast so a lot of my free time has been consumed by revision and coursework!

As usual, any questions about economics or the university, drop me a message or post on this thread :smile:

Alice

Economics
What I've been doing this week - 13/03/16

Hello!!!

This week has been very dissertation based - I thought I had lost everything at the beginning of the week due to a spilt drink on my MacBook (LESSON LEARNT: ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR WORK!!!), however after hours at the Apple Store, I managed to retrieve the majority of it. After a rather severe panic followed by a large sigh of relief, I have been working a lot on the report in order to complete it before Easter, to leave myself the Easter break to begin revision for my end of year exams.

On Monday I went to a meeting with England RFU to discuss how, as a captain, I could improve the rugby team, increase commitment from players, and how to recruit more players next academic year. It was an incredibly rewarding meeting, and is an opportunity I was only able to have as a result of being at Middlesex University.

As it was international women's day last week, we celebrated by putting on a week of free activities (from manicures, to boxing lessons) for all women on campus. As a woman at the university who is very involved in sports, I had the pleasure to help run the week and publicise the event to everyone. There was free food, a giant bouncy castle and other events all outside at the university for all to join in, making it one of the funnest weeks of the year on campus.

I have been posting quite a bit on the instagram account run by the course ambassadors, so for a greater insight into what happens across campus on a daily basis, head over there and have a look! The username is MDXCourseAmbassadors.

As usual, any questions, please post on here, I am happy to answer any query you may have, whether it be about the course specifically, or something more general.

Alice

Economics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending