The Student Room Group

im embarrassed about where i live?

I live in a council house, but not many people know about it apart from my close friends. I dont want to sound stuck up because im honestly not but i am quite popular and im not ugly (i promise im not stuck up!!😂😂) im nice, friendly, intelligent and i have a lot of friends but only a few know about where i live. I attract a lot of boys and im happy with my fashion sense. Now because i live in a council house in a dodgy estate a lot of people assume im like the stereotypical skank that deals drugs and wears tracksuits everywhere i go but im not like that at all!! And it stops me from getting closer to my friends or getting into relationships (although i am only 15 but still!!) and i may sound like im over exaggerating a little bit by saying this but i havent gone one day without worrying about it and i cry about it all the time. i dont let people round my house and when people give me a lift home i make them drop me off before we get to my estate, its so embarrassing.

Scroll to see replies

Where you are isn't permanent, you'll move out one day 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
whats the problem with a council house? i live in one
Reply 3
oh wait iv just seen your age hahaha!!!!
Reply 4
Original post by anongreenx
I live in a council house, but not many people know about it apart from my close friends. I dont want to sound stuck up because im honestly not but i am quite popular and im not ugly (i promise im not stuck up!!😂😂) im nice, friendly, intelligent and i have a lot of friends but only a few know about where i live. I attract a lot of boys and im happy with my fashion sense. Now because i live in a council house in a dodgy estate a lot of people assume im like the stereotypical skank that deals drugs and wears tracksuits everywhere i go but im not like that at all!! And it stops me from getting closer to my friends or getting into relationships (although i am only 15 but still!!) and i may sound like im over exaggerating a little bit by saying this but i havent gone one day without worrying about it and i cry about it all the time. i dont let people round my house and when people give me a lift home i make them drop me off before we get to my estate, its so embarrassing.

It dosent matter if you attract boys or are intelligent or have a fashion sense, nothing to do with where you live...
I don't see why a council house is embarrassing? I was brought up in one, people really don't judge you for it.

I think I'm getting older I dunno, but at 15 I reallyyyy wouldn't worry about boys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I've always lived in a council house (lived in a rough council estate at one point too) and to be honest, it's never mattered. Your friends shouldn't care about where you live - that's not why they like you. Your friends should like you for being you. One of my friends used to live in a really rough area of council houses and none of us were ashamed of him or disliked him for it.

Also, you won't live there forever. At some point, you'll be moving out into your own home, so if it makes you really upset, why not think about the future?
Reply 6
Original post by Swagio
It dosent matter if you attract boys or are intelligent or have a fashion sense, nothing to do with where you live...
I don't see why a council house is embarrassing? I was brought up in one, people really don't judge you for it.

I think I'm getting older I dunno, but at 15 I reallyyyy wouldn't worry about boys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

its not just boys, its just if people were to find out id get judged and maybe even picked on for it, my school has around 1,300 pupils in it and the last thing i would want is majority of them to find out
Ummmmm people don't really care, especially if you don't fit the chavvy stereotype.
Original post by shawtyb
oh wait iv just seen your age hahaha!!!!

I had the same reaction.

I live in a council house too
Original post by anongreenx
its not just boys, its just if people were to find out id get judged and maybe even picked on for it, my school has around 1,300 pupils in it and the last thing i would want is majority of them to find out

A number of those pupils probably also live in council houses, unless you go to a private school, though if that could be afforded then you probably wouldn't be in a council house.
Original post by James Milibanter
I had the same reaction.

I live in a council house too

its pathetic. doesnt bother me and it doesnt bother anyone else that knows me neither.
the OP comes across as a self obsessed paranoid child self centered too
Original post by shawtyb
its pathetic. doesnt bother me and it doesnt bother anyone else that knows me neither.

I got the snobby vibe too tbh.

It doesn't even bother people who don't know me. Though I admit that I don't put my address on my CV but that's because I have a profession dominated by the middle class. I'm working class, my peers are working class, I went to a state school, the majority of the students were working class. Nobody cared in the slightest. Now I'm working with a bunch of toffs, even they don't care ffs.
Original post by shawtyb

Very much agreed.
I got the snobby vibe too tbh.

It doesn't even bother people who don't know me. Though I admit that I don't put my address on my CV but that's because I have a profession dominated by the middle class. I'm working class, my peers are working class, I went to a state school, the majority of the students were working class. Nobody cared in the slightest. Now I'm working with a bunch of toffs, even they don't care ffs.

im just thankful i have a roof over my head lol
Original post by shawtyb
im just thankful i have a roof over my head lol

Same here. If it weren't for the council house I'd be sharing a bedroom with some student for £450 a month.
Same here. If it weren't for the council house I'd be sharing a bedroom with some student for £450 a month.

yh im quite fond of my own space. i can sit and do coursework in my spongebob pjamas
Original post by shawtyb
yh im quite fond of my own space. i can sit and do coursework in my spongebob pjamas

I work 72 hours a week so I can't spend much time here, but even still it's great having a place to stay that I can call my own.
Be grateful for the fact you have a house! A lot of people don't. Besides, if anyone judges you for living in a council house, they have a problem not you. You're only 15, you have your life ahead of you - work hard, boys can wait :smile:
I work 72 hours a week so I can't spend much time here, but even still it's great having a place to stay that I can call my own.

what the hell do u do!! jeez thats alot of time a week!
Reply 19
I wouldn't worry about it. I grew up living here:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending