The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ox is the gay footballer, it's affecting his game and confidence
Wtf is the point in Welbeck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
Wtf is the point in Welbeck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Panic buy, was meant to "replace" the injured Giroud first half of 2014-15. Then Giroud came back stronger and relegated him to the bench (or out wide), now he's only just returned to training after a long term injury. His only purpose now is to not be worse than Ox as a squad player
Original post by Arkasia
"Some of his peers" - Lukaku is one of the best young strikers in the world, Pogba is one of the best midfielders of any age in the world, and Draxler is also very, very good (although he had a terrible 13/14 season didn't he?). They are all atypical, it would be like saying Sanchez isn't a good forward by comparing him to his 'peers' of a similar age, Messi, Muller, Lewandowski and Suarez. I personally think he should stay at Arsenal, but wouldn't say no to a loan to a decent team (maybe he can join Jenko at West Ham), but I think it would be a massive, massive mistake to just wash our hands of him and sell him on.

But that's what I'm saying. All these players ARE atypical - but Oxlade Chamberlain isn't. He's good, but that's it. Arsenal - as a club - won't allow young players to grow and develop if they aren't atypical, and shining above their level. He gets limited game time, so it's a vicious circle. If he played week in week out, at a club placed between 7th and 10th, it would be better for his development.

That's why your bit in bold is spot on.
Original post by Mackay
But that's what I'm saying. All these players ARE atypical - but Oxlade Chamberlain isn't. He's good, but that's it. Arsenal - as a club - won't allow young players to grow and develop if they aren't atypical, and shining above their level. He gets limited game time, so it's a vicious circle. If he played week in week out, at a club placed between 7th and 10th, it would be better for his development.

That's why your bit in bold is spot on.

Oh right, sorry man I mistook your statement completely, I think I'm just a bit frustrated at Arsenal fans (and by extension other football fans) completely turning on players and demanding them to be sold, especially when it's a player who is so young. Yeah I agree with that assessment tbh, a few years ago he looked like a world beater, but now he's dangerously close to the 'what if' group (so is Wilshere tbh, although Jack is a bit further along in terms of development, especially on the international stage). Just look at him and Sterling - before the 13/14 season, he was genuinely the bigger talent, and some were still arguing up to this season that Ox was still a better player (something Sterling has quite frankly debunked). And whilst I think a loan could do him a world of good, it could equally wreck him and just stunt his growth completely. Arsenal aren't amazing at giving young talent a chance, but we also aren't exactly bad. There aren't too many teams that fit with what we would want from a loan. It would need to be a good team, with an emphasis on wing play and good passing, who have good players, but not amazing wingers that would keep him benched. That's why West Ham would work this season - they have creative players, but no-one WC on the wings.

"He's like a new signing"
I'd happily see us loan Ox out for a season or two, at his age he can improve drastically from regular game time. Chelsea are a fine example of why we should be loaning young players not selling; De Bruyne, Lukaku, Sturridge (when fit). I know they were all loaned at some point, but Chelsea lost faith in them far too soon and it has come back to bite them. I don't want that happening to us with Ox (which I genuinely think is a possibility, he certainly has the potential to flourish in a side like Liverpool imo). Even look at Campbell and Coq; we kept faith in them way beyond what any other club would do and they have repaid the faith massively.
Right now Ox doesn't fit our system at all; he can't counter, he can't ball distribute and he's not particularly good defensively yet and hasn't got the composure in the final third. But most of those problems will be improved with regular game time. He's raw and we see glimpses of his potential occasionally when he bangs in a worldy or makes a great run, it's just those events are becoming rarer and rarer. I'd happily keep him until the summer, then sign a top RW player and loan him until he is at an appropriate level while Walcott and Campbell act as back up in the front 3 (and bin Welbeck, Sanogo for £5mil each and cut our losses, they've shown no sign of any improvement).
Let's get ready to be thrashed (or at least, not win) by those clubs that deem us to be their whipping boys. We don't even beat them at their worst (see Man Utd two seasons ago).
Guess who was on our side when Arsenal last beat Chelsea at the Emirates?
Guess what the score was when Hiddink last came to the Emirates?
Ten years of Theo Walcott at Arsenal.

We must be close to his breakthrough now.
Reply 3131
Original post by Mackay

What break through? He's already been performing well enough to start or be a squad player

Posted from TSR Mobile
25% of BBC Sport website viewers back Arsenal to retain the FA Cup.
No pressure then :rolleyes:
Yeah, Fheo hasn't quite reached that 97 overall potential that was promised on FIFA 2005. Just saying, Fheo's potential overall was better than a young 18 year old who'd just broken onto the scene called named Lionel Messi.
Original post by leinad2012
Yeah, Fheo hasn't quite reached that 97 overall potential that was promised on FIFA 2005. Just saying, Fheo's potential overall was better than a young 18 year old who'd just broken onto the scene called named Lionel Messi.

Not to anyone who knew anything about football it wasn't. FIFA games are pure sh*te when it comes to ratings tbf.
Theo should be at a higher level than he is now but it doesn't surprise me because English players often don't live up to the hype
Original post by Arkasia
Just look at him and Sterling - before the 13/14 season, he was genuinely the bigger talent

No he wasn't. He was just more physically able, and 18 months older, skewing your perception. Sterling played 3 times as many minutes in his debut season as Ox did, and he was 6 months younger than Ox during their debut seasons, and Sterling won comfortably on all metrics. And Sterling was the better player if you ever actually saw them play.
Original post by leinad2012
Right now Ox doesn't fit our system at all; he can't counter, he can't ball distribute and he's not particularly good defensively yet and hasn't got the composure in the final third. But most of those problems will be improved with regular game time. He's raw and we see glimpses of his potential occasionally when he bangs in a worldy or makes a great run, it's just those events are becoming rarer and rarer.

He's never had more than 1500 minutes in a PL season, and this year is his 5th season. Either he's injury prone or there's mad competition but Arsenal is definitely not the place for him to be.

Whether those problems can be solved with game time or not, I don't know, but I don't think he's going to leave you and all of a sudden learn how to finish, or find that final pass. Those skills are either innate or learned on the training pitch, and Ox has had plenty of time to show us if they're innate in him. Maybe I'm being harsh considering his lack of game time but Ox will never be an effective final third option.
Original post by Mackay

f4.jpg
Original post by TeeEm
f4.jpg

Shouldn't you be on a Maths thread or something? :tongue:

Latest