The Student Room Group

FP3 hyperbolic differentiation help

How do you differentiate -tanh(x)sech(x)? Whenever I do it (using the product rule) I get sech(x)tanh^2(x) - sech^3(x), but the answer in the Solution Bank is sech^3(x) - sech(x)tanh^2(x). I don't know if I'm making a stupid error somewhere, or if I'm using the wrong rule.

Will rep any answers that clear this up. Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by ChrisP97
How do you differentiate -tanh(x)sech(x)? Whenever I do it (using the product rule) I get sech(x)tanh^2(x) - sech^3(x), but the answer in the Solution Bank is sech^3(x) - sech(x)tanh^2(x). I don't know if I'm making a stupid error somewhere, or if I'm using the wrong rule.

Your working is completely correct. Ignore the solution bank. I have just worked it out myself and I'm getting the same answer as yours.

Differential of sech(x) = -sech(x)tanh(x) can prove this by the quotient rule (remember unlike in trig, diff of cosh = sinh, not -sinh. Differential of -tanh(x) = -sech^2 (x), then just apply the product rule and bingo
Reply 3
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Differential of sech(x) = -sech(x)tanh(x) can prove this by the quotient rule (remember unlike in trig, diff of cosh = sinh, not -sinh. Differential of -tanh(x) = -sech^2 (x), then just apply the product rule and bingo

I believe it's derivative and not differential?
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
I believe it's derivative and not differential?

Yeh my bad haha
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Your working is completely correct. Ignore the solution bank. I have just worked it out myself and I'm getting the same answer as yours.

Original post by MathsAstronomy12

Ok great thanks, at least I'm doing it correct. I wish Edexcel would bother checking the resources they publish instead of leaving it to students to find the mistakes :/
Reply 6
leaving it to students to find the mistakes :/

you learn better that way ,,,
Reply 7
Ok great thanks, at least I'm doing it correct. I wish Edexcel would bother checking the resources they publish instead of leaving it to students to find the mistakes :/

The FP2 book has some pretty bad ones. I won't even get into the M2 book.

I don't think the Solution Bank is made by Edexcel (that is if we are talking about the same one).

Quick Reply

Latest