The Student Room Group

British schoolgirls who fled to join Isis in Raqqa are feared dead

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abruiseonthesky
Love being patronised by someone who thinks they're better than me xo

Lol I wasn't, that is exactly what you are doing to them, patronizing them and telling them off because you believe that you are better than them. I actually agree that free speech doesn't mean consequence free speech, I guess I'm being fatalistic about the futility of trying to shame them into being more respectful.

To be fair, I'm not sure it's all down to the parents. How many parents know every detail of their teenage kids' lives?
Including every webpage they've fapped to...?

Probably only the psychotic ones.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Lol I wasn't, that is exactly what you are doing to them, patronizing them and telling them off because you believe that you are better than them.

What part of 'I don't think people should say that others deserve to die' fits what you've just said mate?

Including every webpage they've fapped to...?

Probably only the psychotic ones.

Exactly, anyone can easily hide their friends and beliefs from their parents. It's not exactly difficult when you're a teenager, particularly late teens.
What part of 'I don't think people should say that others deserve to die' fits what you've just said mate?

That's not what you said, mate.

"When people say others deserve to die smh"

I hope you were wagging your finger.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
That's not what you said, mate.

We need to stop quoting each other when the other's adding something :tongue:
We need to stop quoting each other when the other's adding something :tongue:

:CC I edit my post a lot. Probably too much, but I figure it's better than creating new ones.
Reply 125
Maybe airlines need to be more clued up to this from now on. It seems airlines have no problem letting a group of young girls with no adult supervision waltz off to a dangerous region with no questions asked. Stupid.
To be fair, I'm not sure it's all down to the parents. How many parents know every detail of their teenage kids' lives?

As I said in my post we need to do a lot more to stop extremists being allowed to contact others. However at the end of the day the ultimate responsibility for bringing up children as good law abiding citizens who understand murder is wrong e.c.t lies with parents.

Dont piss me off, you`re telling me you cant figure out when a kid has been radicalised to the point they are fleeing to a warzone? "Parents have lost constant contact" is what it also says, I personally think the parents knew and are just putting on a front to not be put in the firing line.

EDIT: Pardon the pun
Original post by TheBBQ
They deserved it.

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
No sympathy. They lay their bed. Now they should lie in it.

Original post by Howard
"Feared" dead?

I HOPE they are dead.

Original post by TheGuyWhoPhysics
good, their fault for leaving to join ISIS

I guess you guys also have no sympathy for girls who get groomed and sexually assaulted by men?

It's all their fault right?
Original post by Betelgeuse-
So you dont have the answers yet you are happy to absolve monsters of their actions and lay the blame at the governments feet. Interesting. Its almost like you are realising that understanding the thoughts and desires and future actions of individuals who make up 65 million people is errr impossible.

Where have I absolved people of their crimes? Point me to a post where I have defended ISIS for example. I am criticising the fact that people, especially young people, are getting radicalised in our country.

Yes its a problem.. what shall we do epicuran? Close down mosques? Stop muslims practicing their religion? Ban muslims from having children?
Please tell me...

So now you realise it is a problem? So, should we try and come up with solution, or simply do nothing? Surely you would opt for the former? I've offered some ideas which you have responded to further down in this post I am replying to. Is that not better than simply brushing it off and saying "not our problem"?

The issue is not about me taking this problem seriously of which i predicted 6 years ago long before it had likely even entered the universe of your mind. WHAT DO YOU WANT THE GOVERNMENT TO DO?

You predicted it years ago, and yet continue to shrug it off?

Please point out where I said it was specifically the governments issue? I have not said the word "government" once in this thread. I have said "It is our problem" and "as a society." It is a much bigger issue than simply the government, hence why I mentioned Muslim leaders and Mosques having an important role to play.

long before it had likely even entered the universe of your mind.

.What is that comment supposed to imply?

Finally you offer some proposals.

Still more than you have offered.

1) The government cannot prevent every single person with nefarious aims from from carrying out their goals. It is insanity to think they can.

I never said the government can prevent every single person from doing such things. But we are talking about hundreds of individuals, many of whom pose a thread to our security.

2) Schools and mosques have been addressing these issues for years, it is unsurprsingly not 100% effective

I refer you to this post:

Original post by Gnomes&Knights
Unfortunately I don't hear much talk about ISIS from Islamic scholars/clerics and it literally feels as though they are trying to dodge the topic. I attend Friday Prayer every week which have talks and I attend some random talks but I haven't heard one talk addressing the issue of ISIS which makes me boil. I even asked an individual who has strong association with a proselytising group about addressing the issue of ISIS and his response was that it would be better if Islamic scholars/clerics avoided talking about stuff like ISIS as they have a 'side effect' on the Muslim attendees. I don't buy that though.

3) Funding of mosques - Yes finally something i can agree with you on -

I'm going to have to ask you to elaborate. What is you understanding here? Because I hope you realise I am not advocating the banning of all funding of mosques?

Yeah u cannot just take something out of context like that lmao

I have addressed your previous post just now

I didn't take it out of context. If I cut and paste the bold and posted that only, then yes, that would be out of context. I highlighted the bold because of the irony. But the context is still there to be read. You list a load of reasons as to why you should be differentiated from ISIS, and thankfully criticise some awful practices, only then to go on about how actually you do disregard some human lives. Like I said, the disregard of human lives is the issue. And as you have just said, you do disregard some human lives.

In the UK, capital punishment is no longer practised. Why? Because it is barbaric and medieval like ISIS. Just because ISIS disregard human lives and use capital punishment, doesn't mean we should too. Why should we stoop down to their level?
They knew what they were doing. They didn't have to go out their. They dug their own graves by going out there and now they're resting in them. This is a warning kids. Don't be foolish like these girls otherwise a similar fate may befall you in such a war torn hellhole
Original post by marco14196
They knew what they were doing. They didn't have to go out their. They dug their own graves by going out there and now they're resting in them. This is a warning kids. Don't be foolish like these girls otherwise a similar fate may befall you in such a war torn hellhole

They are just kids, you don't know anything about them.

You don't know what type of grooming went on behind the scenes. I'm not saying they were groomed i'm saying you don't know that they weren't.
Also they are 16, 17 years old... no one is perfect everyone makes mistakes.

There mistake just happened to get them killed.

By your logic you would also blame teenagers who get groomed and sexually assaulted, is it also their fault?
Original post by khanpatel321
I guess you guys also have no sympathy for girls who get groomed and sexually assaulted by men?

What the hell does that have to do with any of this?

They were perfectly normal school girls who decided to RUN AWAY from their families and homes, FLY into several other countries to MARRY people from a group they know a lot about from the media.
Original post by SalmaSalma
You guys saying 'shame' and 'they deserved it' should be ashamed,
they were vulnerable teens who were radicalised. You saying they deserve death is just totally inappropriate.

They went to another continent to join an entity which everyone knows massacres, enslaves and rapes people different from them. Things like the Sinjar massacre against the Yazidis happened before they left. As well as a catalogue of other atrocities including, but not limited to, mass beheadings, accumulation of countless sex slaves, crucifixions, setting fire to people in cages...........need I go on?

They made a conscious decision to join the perpetrators of all this. And you want us to feel sympathy for them? How about you save that crap for the real victims?

Original post by TheBBQ
What the hell does that have to do with any of this?

They were perfectly normal school girls who decided to RUN AWAY from their families and homes, FLY into several other countries to MARRY people from a group they know a lot about from the media.

In both cases we are dealing with young impressionable teenagers. They could have been easily brainwashed, i'm not saying they were but they could have been.

You don't know that they were normal. The series of events you have described don't seem to be something a normal person would do

Hahaha I knew someone was going to say that.

For the girls who get sexually assaulted by ISIS men after leaving their homes for "God" and giving their families heartache? Nah no sympathy whatsoever.

Those schoolgirls knew what they were going to. ISIS was in the media at that time. They knew what was happening. They made the decision to go.

How on earth are you comparing grooming to radicalisation? You seem very slow.
In both cases we are dealing with young impressionable teenagers. They could have been easily brainwashed, i'm not saying they were but they could have been.

You don't know that they were normal. The series of events you have described don't seem to be something a normal person would do

They clearly were not normal. They were radicals and clearly knew what they were doing if they managed to do all of that.
Original post by marco14196

Ermm we don't even know if they're dead lol...
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Hahaha I knew someone was going to say that.

For the girls who get sexually assaulted by ISIS men after leaving their homes for "God" and giving their families heartache? Nah no sympathy whatsoever.

Those schoolgirls knew what they were going to. ISIS was in the media at that time. They knew what was happening. They made the decision to go.

How on earth are you comparing grooming to radicalisation? You seem very slow

Because both brainwash impressionable young people into doing things which they wouldn't do if they weren't groomed...

Do you think these girls just woke up one day and thought lets leave our country and go join ISIS?

Do you know what happened in between?
Because both brainwash impressionable young people into doing things which they wouldn't do if they weren't groomed...

Do you think these girls just woke up one day and thought lets leave our country and go and join ISIS?

Do you know what happened in between?

Grooming is not the same as radicalisation though.

Yes they did. Over a period of time during which they were radicalised!

You're comparing three stupid schoolgirls who left the UK to join a terrorist organisation who condones the rape of Yazidis, murders gays and disabled children to being groomed? What the hell is wrong with you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending