The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Would you recommend Newcastle university?

I have received an offer from Newcastle to study economics and finance and I am considering fiirming the offer. I would really appreciate any responses about the university and the surrounding area.
Thanks in Advanvce
Original post by jack_madle
I have received an offer from Newcastle to study economics and finance and I am considering fiirming the offer. I would really appreciate any responses about the university and the surrounding area.
Thanks in Advanvce

I would recommend it, but if you'd like it or not depends on what you're looking for in a university.

Have you ever visited Newcastle?

If not, I can try and describe Newcastle and the surrounding areas a bit for you. :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
I would, although can't say anything about economics and finance.

Any specific questions about Newcastle?
Reply 3
Original post by rayquaza17
I would recommend it, but if you'd like it or not depends on what you're looking for in a university.

Have you ever visited Newcastle?

If not, I can try and describe Newcastle and the surrounding areas a bit for you. :smile:

Thank you for your response, I visited Newcastle during the open day in July (out of term time) so got a basic idea of what it was like. I visited accommodation which was opposite the football stadium which seemed much more outcast from the town and campus from other unis that I visited,
If I was to firm or insure Newcastle, is there any accommodation that you would recommend that is in a lively and convenient area?
Reply 4
Original post by Quantex
I would, although can't say anything about economics and finance.

Any specific questions about Newcastle?

Thank you for your response. When I visited Newcastle I also visited some of the accommodation which was opposite the football stadium. To me, this seemed much more detached from the campus and town, is this the case? and if so is there any accommodation that you would suggest that is in a lively and convenient area?
Original post by jack_madle
Thank you for your response, I visited Newcastle during the open day in July (out of term time) so got a basic idea of what it was like. I visited accommodation which was opposite the football stadium which seemed much more outcast from the town and campus from other unis that I visited,
If I was to firm or insure Newcastle, is there any accommodation that you would recommend that is in a lively and convenient area?

The business school and the accommodation you visited aren't really on the main campus, but they aren't really that far away. (About a 10 minute walk). But they are still classed as being in the main city centre of Newcastle.

The accommodation that is directly on campus is Richardson Road (although this is being demolished and done up but I'm not 100% sure when this will be finished), Castle Leazes, Marris House (closest to sports centre), and Windsor Terrace (closest to Robinson library). But tbh I would say those halls are like the same distance away or even a bit further from the main city centre. I think you'll want accommodation close to the business school for your course otherwise you'll get annoyed having to walk over there every day.

This is a map of the campus:
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/documents/Campus-Map-Print.pdf

I would say the main city centre is in the square to the right of the Business school. Eldon Square is like where all of the shops are, and the Gate has some restaurants and a cinema in. A couple of blocks down and around that area is where the main nightlife is.

I don't know if you're into going out or whatever, but the best night (in my opinion) is Digital Mondays and that's right next to the train station. So obviously accommodation near the business school is a lot closer to this than accommodation on the main campus.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 6
The business school and the accommodation you visited aren't really on the main campus, but they aren't really that far away. (About a 10 minute walk). But they are still classed as being in the main city centre of Newcastle.

The accommodation that is directly on campus is Richardson Road (although this is being demolished and done up but I'm not 100% sure when this will be finished), Castle Leazes, Marris House (closest to sports centre), and Windsor Terrace (closest to Robinson library). But tbh I would say those halls are like the same distance away or even a bit further from the main city centre. I think you'll want accommodation close to the business school for your course otherwise you'll get annoyed having to walk over there every day.

I would say the main city centre is in the square to the right of the Business school. Eldon Square is like where all of the shops are, and the Gate has some restaurants and a cinema in. A couple of blocks down and around that area is where the main nightlife is.

I don't know if you're into going out or whatever, but the best night (in my opinion) is Digital Mondays and that's right next to the train station. So obviously accommodation near the business school is a lot closer to this than accommodation on the main campus.

Thank you very much for your insight. very helpful! after considering what you have said it seems a much more practical idea to apply for accommodation opposite the football stadium as it is very close to the business school, which is where I would spend most of my time, yet not too far away from the lively part of town come to think of it.

Hi, you seem to know a lot about Newcastle. I have got an offer for Law, yet I have never been there. What is the area like surrounding the uni and what do you think of its reputability? I will try to give it a visit, but any help now would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:smile:
Original post by 0123456543210
Hi, you seem to know a lot about Newcastle. I have got an offer for Law, yet I have never been there. What is the area like surrounding the uni and what do you think of its reputability? I will try to give it a visit, but any help now would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:smile:

Hi :smile: Yes I'm a third year at the uni and I've lived here all my life! haha

The law school is directly behind the Robinson library, so the closet accommodation to that is Windsor terrace. I'd say the other accommodations I'd mentioned above would still be like a 5/10 minute walk to the law school.

Oh and I never mentioned above but some of the accommodation that's further away the uni does a free bus service from occasionally, but I'm not sure of how regular this is.

The uni is directly in the city centre. Like from the maths building you just have to cross the road and you're on Northumberland street which is the main street in Newcastle. Or you walk in a building off that street and you're in Eldon Square (main shopping centre). My favourite thing about Northumberland Street is this shop called Eat 4 Less that does a meal deal for £1.79 where you get a baguette (there is so much choice of filling!), some chips and a can of drink!

It's about a 15 minute walk to the uni from the train station. Newcastle has like a local train system called the metro so you can use that to get around the city, and like when you're in second/third year you'd probably use that to get from your student home to the uni. Of course there's busses as well. You can also get a bus to visit Northumberland if you like, and you can go to the seaside or the countryside and visit some castles if you like things like that. :smile:

Newcastle is definitely a reputable uni. I don't really believe in league tables, but it's quite high up for law and in general.

It's definitely worth giving Newcastle and any other uni you're thinking of going to a visit! :smile:
Hi :smile: Yes I'm a third year at the uni and I've lived here all my life! haha

The law school is directly behind the Robinson library, so the closet accommodation to that is Windsor terrace. I'd say the other accommodations I'd mentioned above would still be like a 5/10 minute walk to the law school.

Oh and I never mentioned above but some of the accommodation that's further away the uni does a free bus service from occasionally, but I'm not sure of how regular this is.

The uni is directly in the city centre. Like from the maths building you just have to cross the road and you're on Northumberland street which is the main street in Newcastle. Or you walk in a building off that street and you're in Eldon Square (main shopping centre). My favourite thing about Northumberland Street is this shop called Eat 4 Less that does a meal deal for £1.79 where you get a baguette (there is so much choice of filling!), some chips and a can of drink!

It's about a 15 minute walk to the uni from the train station. Newcastle has like a local train system called the metro so you can use that to get around the city, and like when you're in second/third year you'd probably use that to get from your student home to the uni. Of course there's busses as well. You can also get a bus to visit Northumberland if you like, and you can go to the seaside or the countryside and visit some castles if you like things like that. :smile:

Newcastle is definitely a reputable uni. I don't really believe in league tables, but it's quite high up for law and in general.

It's definitely worth giving Newcastle and any other uni you're thinking of going to a visit! :smile:

Thank you very much for such a great insight.:smile:
Prices seem to be sooo good in Newcastle, I went on their website to have a look at accommodation and it seems to be twice as cheap as the Exeter's:biggrin:. Those prices definitely make a great student city.
Just to add a thing here, first year lectures are never in the business school so being in The View or Liberty Plaza doesn't actually make you closer than everyone else for lectures (pretty sure they've done it on purpose). I was in Bowsden Court for my first year and got the metro in everyday, I liked it there but I do prefer where I'm living now which is right around the corner from Castle Leazes - 5 minutes from the med school and 15 max from the library/maths/law buildings. I study maths and psych and my friend does maths and economics and we both love it here.

If you like extra curriculars you have a lot of choice - I'm on the exec for Creative Writing and I'm a member of Irish Dancing and it's freakin' great. There's lots of opportunities to do stuff with societies/in the city, and if you like a quiet life there's plenty of stuff for that too :smile:

If you want to read through some of my blog posts from the beginning of the semester that might help with what it's like starting uni here :smile:
http://thelifeofanewcastlestudent.blogspot.co.uk/
Original post by dezza156

Oops I didn't know that!

Hope your exams are going well. :smile:
Oops I didn't know that!

Hope your exams are going well. :smile:

Thank you! Can't wait 'til the weeks over haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending