The Student Room Group

I think I'm going to drop Psychology and STRONG reasons against it?

So after the first few weeks of being in sixth form me and my friend were doing similar subjects with 3 each but then we took on Psychology to get extra UCAS points, however after 3 months in we have realised we would like to drop it as we aren't doing well at all with us putting revision into the subject. It's 50% for an E and we are pretty sure he would get D's maybe C's at a push but sacrificing grades in our other subjects a little.

We think it has been a waste of 3 months and also it would be a waste to carry it on to for another 4 months to not get a good amount of UCAS points that we could get by revising and practising our other subjects or even more by getting higher grades in those subjects.

We also really dislike Psychology as a subject, as the teacher is perfectly fine and capable. We can't get interested in it enough like we are for our sciences, which we are very passionate about and try hard in.

My current AS-levels: I'm in the first year of A-levels
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Biology
-Psychology

We are pretty determined on dropping to open up a lot more study sessions to revise our other subjects in, subjects we want to pursue later in our life in University. I'd like any STRONG reasons against doing so that could would give us a disadvantage later down the line.
Any advice??
If you want to drop it as you feel you won't achieve a good grade in it, drop it. But don't do it because your friend is doing it.
You could drop it and take general studies next year -some unis accept general studies - (Leeds for example) - but not all do - some unis say they will take your general studies results into consideration if you just miss your uni offer .
If you are struggling with time management I wish you luck next year doing A2 Chemistry, Biology and Physics. If I was in your position I would continue with Psychology to get the additional UCAS points (even an E is worth 20 UCAS points). Furthermore some AS Psychology modules overlap with A2 Biology modules (at least in the OCR syllabus) so you would be in a better position next year with regard to A2 Biology.

P.S. The majority of good academic universities e.g. Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, Bath, Imperial, etc... (there may be some exceptions) would have expected you to do four AS levels, only doing three AS levels will give them an excuse not to offer you a place.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Thomas Collins
If you are struggling with time management I wish you luck next year doing A2 Chemistry, Biology and Physics. If I was in your position I would continue with Psychology to get the additional UCAS points (even an E is worth 20 UCAS points). Furthermore some AS Psychology modules overlap with A2 Biology modules (at least in the OCR syllabus) so you would be in a better position next year with regard to A2 Biology.

P.S. The majority of good academic universities e.g. Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, Bath, Imperial, etc... (there may be some exceptions) would have expected you to do four AS levels, only doing three AS levels will give them an excuse not to offer you a place.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you for the reply
My Biology isn't on the OCR exam board so I don't think it would overlap, thanks for mentioning it though.
I know that it's worth some UCAS points but doesn't an E or a D look bad when you apply for Uni?
What about AS maths next year? It would really help with your sciences and that way you can still get 4 as levels.
Original post by anon1928192
Thank you for the reply
My Biology isn't on the OCR exam board so I don't think it would overlap, thanks for mentioning it though.
I know that it's worth some UCAS points but doesn't an E or a D look bad when you apply for Uni?

Perhaps an E looks bad when applying to university. However you shouldn't be aiming for an E, you should at least be aiming for a C. There are very few marks between an E and a C, thus it is fairly easy to move from an E grade to a C grade (just requires a couple of hours additional revision).
Reply 7
To get into a Russell group university you need four AS level subjects, if you don't want to go to a Russell uni then I say drop it.

Quick Reply

Latest