The Student Room Group

How to achieve high

Im in year 9 and i want some help on improving my grammar ,english is my third language making it hard for me to understand im currently working on a 5A in both writing and reading any tips and im starting my gcse's soon and im scared i wont get that grade 5/C
Trust me, the best thing to do is read, read a novel, a series most importantly read any book that catches your attention, thats the best way for improving grammer. I believe there is a section on bitesize which reinforces English Grammer improvement check it out.
Reply 2
Original post by Striker_007
Trust me, the best thing to do is read, read a novel, a series most importantly read any book that catches your attention, thats the best way for improving grammer. I believe there is a section on bitesize which reinforces English Grammer improvement check it out.

Cool thanks ill definetly check it out
Reply 3
@forre To improve your English reading and writing skills you need to read more and by that you can read anything but preferably read something that catches your attention and is challenging as you'll pick up new vocabulary that you can use in your writing. Also to improve grammar, go to Bitesize where they have a section focusing on it and/or buy a SPAG workbook from CGP.
420 blaze it
Reply 5
Original post by forre
I'm in year 9 and I want some help on improving my grammar, English is my third language making it harder for me to understand. I'm currently working at a level 5a in both writing and reading. Any tips and I'm starting my GCSEs soon and I'm scared I won't get a grade 5/C.

Hey there,

For a start, I have put some corrections in your own paragraph in the quote above. Please compare what you yourself have wrote in your OP to what I've edited it to above.

If you've any questions regarding the reason(s) for any adjustments to the quoted post, please feel free to ask me. I will explain the reasons and explain accordingly.

To further your understanding of English grammar, I advise you purchase a revision guide - preferably CGP. In addition to purchasing a revision guide, I also advise you read a variety of texts as this will widen your vocabulary and also improve your English skills at the same time. Reading is crucial to improving your English skills- please read! It will also help you in your English examinations as well as throughout life.

What I recommend you start with researching:

When to capitalise words in a sentence. (e.g. "gcse's" is incorrect as it is meant to be capitalised; only because it is an example of initialism as GCSE stands for 'General Certificate of Secondary Education'.)

When to use different punctuation marks and where. (Remember to end a sentence with a full stop and start a new sentence with a capital letter - basics.)

When apostrophes are used. (e.g. The use of an apostrophe in "gcse's" is incorrect; only because apostrophes are only to be used for possession and omission. If you require any explanations please ask.)

Useful revision material - Youtube - MrBruff.

All the best in your studies my friend. :smile:

Cheers,
- Awais
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Awais_
Hey there,

For a start, I have put some corrections in your own paragraph in the quote above. Please compare what you yourself have wrote in your OP to what I've edited it to above.

If you've any questions regarding the reason(s) for any adjustments to the quoted post, please feel free to ask me. I will explain the reasons and explain accordingly.

To further your understanding of English grammar, I advise you purchase a revision guide - preferably CGP. In addition to purchasing a revision guide, I also advise you read a variety of texts as this will widen your vocabulary and also improve your English skills at the same time. Reading is crucial to improving your English skills- please read! It will also help you in your English examinations as well as throughout life.

What I recommend you start with researching:

When to capitalise words in a sentence. (e.g. "gcse's" is incorrect as it is meant to be capitalised; only because it is an example of initialism as GCSE stands for 'General Certificate of Secondary Education'.)

When to use different punctuation marks and where. (Remember to end a sentence with a full stop and start a new sentence with a capital letter - basics.)

When apostrophes are used. (e.g. The use of an apostrophe in "gcse's" is incorrect; only because apostrophes are only to be used for possession and omission. If you require any explanations please ask.)

Useful revision material - Youtube - MrBruff.

All the best in your studies my friend. :smile:

Cheers,
- Awais

Thank you ,can you ecplain abot the atpostrophe?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending