The Student Room Group

My Law Teacher is Useless!

Hi, I'm doing AS law on OCR and I was wondering if anyone had notes on the first year as my teacher is absolutely useless, when I asked her what specification we were doing, she had no clue what a specification was! All she does is tell us does highlight the same things in the text book as she had.
Any help would be appreciated please.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hollieperry
Hi, I'm doing AS law on OCR and I was wondering if anyone had notes on the first year as my teacher is absolutely useless, when I asked her what specification we were doing, she had no clue what a specification was! All she does is tell us does highlight the same things in the text book as she had.

whats new? tell me about it. if you're going to be doing law at university, wait till you get there. depending on which uni you go to, your lecturers could be much worse.

which topics are you doing? I may have some quality notes I can email you.
Original post by Audrey18
whats new? tell me about it. if you're going to be doing law at university, wait till you get there. depending on which uni you go to, your lecturers could be much worse.

which topics are you doing? I may have some quality notes I can email you.

English Legal System:
- civil courts and other methods of dispute resolution
-criminal powers
-criminal courts
-penal system
-judiciary
-the legal profession
-lay people in the legal system
-provision of legal services

Sources of law:
-doctrine of precedent
-legislation
-European Union law
-law reform

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/68942-specification.pdf

Thank you.
English Legal System:
- civil courts and other methods of dispute resolution
-criminal powers
-criminal courts
-penal system
-judiciary
-the legal profession
-lay people in the legal system
-provision of legal services

Sources of law:
-doctrine of precedent
-legislation
-European Union law
-law reform

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/68942-specification.pdf

Thank you.

take a look at this and tell me what you think.
http://sixthformlaw.info/01_modules/mod1/index.htm

if you have any questions on english legal system , you can always quote me and I will help you with them. ok?
take a look at this and tell me what you think.
http://sixthformlaw.info/01_modules/mod1/index.htm

if you have any questions on english legal system , you can always quote me and I will help you with them. ok?

Thank you!

I don't know why, but it seems like the majority of A-level Law teachers are like that, or maybe that is a problem with the subject. I essentially had to teach it myself in my AS year.
Aren't all lawyers? :dontknow:
Reply 7
Dem ones that failed to get into law and so start teaching law...
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
I agree with this. While a teacher can set you along the right path (which is actually very helpful to form a basis for your learning), I find it is a very independent subject. :redface:

Agree, that is why it is imperative to be genuinely passionate about the subject.

A-level or University law?
Original post by Life_peer
Aren't all lawyers? :dontknow:

You came to the wrong neighbourhood, homie.
:biggrin:
Doing A-level at the moment, will be doing it at university later this year though! Are you doing law at university? :smile:

No, I hope to start a law degree in September though.:biggrin:
Where did you apply?! :awesome: And how are you getting on with A-level law at the moment? :smile:

I have applied to Leeds, Newcastle, Exeter, Warwick and Liverpool; not the top of the range, but I wasn't happy with the idea of doing LNAT to get into better ones lol.
I was a bit overwhelmed at the beginning of the A2 by the amounts of cases; statutes and sections within them; legal principles, reform proposals and evaluation points. Now I got used to it, and there is not a single day when I am not looking at my notes in order to consolidate my knowledge of facts which actually feels pretty satisfying.
wbu?:smile:
Those universities have great reputations, they're all Russell Group, aren't they? And I was feeling that way about the LNAT but I just took the risk and 4/5 I applied to are LNAT ones! (KCL, UCL, Bristol and Birmingham - also UEA, which is non-LNAT.) :biggrin: I think the LNAT went okay though! Good luck and I hope you get your first choice!

I'm still feeling overwhelmed with A2 law, honestly. :colondollar: It's just so different to AS!

Thank you, good luck with your study.
What did you get in your AS law if you don't mind me asking? I genuinely thought I did good, but ended up with a B (probably because of self-teaching it).
I got the same as you! A mark (or two, getting mixed up with the UMS) away from the next grade boundary so I was really upset, especially since it didn't change with a remark. :ashamed2: Aiming for an A* this year so will REALLY have to step up - not feeling as motivated as I should though, which is horrible. :redface: What are you doing differently this year to bump up your grade? :smile:

Instead of starting my revision in April (as I did last year) I am already going through all my notes and testing myself on cases regularly, it is more like a very casual revision, but it really helps for the content to stay in my mind so when exam time comes I wouldn't need to start from the scratch.

Hope this year OCR would be reasonable as to marking our papers, about 8 people applied for a remark last year and in average their UMS rose by 6:s-smilie: which just shows how negligent OCR were. I however didn't want to risk it, and I am retaking Sources of Law anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 0123456543210
Instead of starting my revision in April (as I did last year) I am already going through all my notes and testing myself on cases regularly, it is more like a very casual revision, but it really helps for the content to stay in my mind so when exam time comes I wouldn't need to start from the scratch.

Hope this year OCR would be reasonable as to marking our papers, about 8 people applied for a remark last year and in average their UMS rose by 6:s-smilie: which just shows how negligent OCR were. I however didn't want to risk it, and I am retaking Sources of Law anyway.

do you have links to resources, notes, answer structures for both contract and tort? do you think you can email them to me so that I can take a look? i too have had a couple of teachers come and go so I'm actually self-studying law on my own. I can't private message you hence this post on the public forum. thank you.
do you have links to resources, notes, answer structures for both contract and tort? do you think you can email them to me so that I can take a look? i too have had a couple of teachers come and go so I'm actually self-studying law on my own. I can't private message you hence this post on the public forum. thank you.

I am doing Criminal law, so can't help you really.
I've started revising and I still feel like I'm going to be unprepared for the exam, I do need to remember more cases to improve. I'm on WJEC, I don't know how different it is to OCR!
Anyway, good luck with your retake and the A2 exam, you seem set to do well as you sound studious and committed - I wish you the best of luck and hope all goes well!! :biggrin:

Thank you, and yes- cases are really important since most legal principles are established upon them. Good luck!
Original post by 0123456543210
I don't know why, but it seems like the majority of A-level Law teachers are like that, or maybe that is a problem with the subject. I essentially had to teach it myself in my AS year.

I just got my mock results back for law and got a U.
Should I drop or self teach myself?

oh dear. what happened? which subject were you tested on? how did you get a U? A U grade is if someone did not write anything on the answer sheet? No? don't worry. keep trying and you will get those A*s and As.

Be honest, what is the reason for such a grade? Law requires a lot of independent study, but only in exceptional circumstances you should teach it yourself. You can drop it after 1st year if you really can't cope with it, but I'm sure you can get a decent grade with the right amount of revision and motivation.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest