The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
part of my degree is economics and its boring!! engineering sounds much more hands on and interesting!

id go for engineering, which is what i wanted to do at college anyway but went with hairdressing instead. for some stupid reason :/
I want to do mechanical engineering at uni. Consider what is more important to you: having a penthouse in london and driving a lambo round town by the time you're 40 but being bored to death with the job you do or having a job which is exciting and which is always changing and you get to discover new things while earning a moderate amount of money.

you will make a lot more money if you are good at economics and go into something like wealth management, banking or accountancy but i garuntee you will enjoy engineering more.

btw i know someone who studied economics at uni, cant rember what he went into but he made 50,000 in his first year of work plus a 100,000 bonus
Reply 3
Original post by shawtyb
part of my degree is economics and its boring!!/

No it's not.

Do you do economics currently? If you do wait until after exams and then see how well you do/much enjoyed it before making your decision.

Both have good prospects but they're very different.
Reply 4
Original post by BaronK
No it's not.

Do you do economics currently? If you do wait until after exams and then see how well you do/much enjoyed it before making your decision.

Both have good prospects but they're very different.

no iv finished that module and im now on my finance module.
and what decision? im not making one lol im at university :/
Reply 5
Engineering imo. Most prestigious financial jobs like IB can still be applied for with an Engineering degree, for IB in particular I'd say that uni matters more than course so focus on getting the best grades you can to go to a very good uni. Econ is really limited outside the financial sector, this is where engineering shines through as being so much more versatile and having more options open to you. Overall, I'd say Maths is the most versatile degree, then Engineering (depending on the discipline you want to go in).
Reply 6
I see what you mean by the boredom factor but if it you was to be that bored then couldn't you just retire with you financial cushion and go travel the world whereas as an engineer you'll keep working as the money will be needed?
Reply 7
Original post by j.98
I see what you mean by the boredom factor but if it you was to be that bored then couldn't you just retire with you financial cushion and go travel the world whereas as an engineer you'll keep working as the money will be needed?

It really depends what company/sector you manage to get a job in when you graduate, some engineering jobs can make a lot of money. Also, doing econ won't guarantee that you'll get into a top position at an investment bank or hedge fund, since uni matters more than degree for these places as long as the degree is numerate.
Reply 8
Do you love physics?
Reply 9
Original post by shawtyb
no iv finished that module and im now on my finance module.
and what decision? im not making one lol im at university :/

The "no it's not" was at you, the rest I was talking about op.

With grammar and a lack of comprehension I can only assume you go to London met.
Original post by BaronK
The "no it's not" was at you, the rest I was talking about op.

With grammar and a lack of comprehension I can only assume you go to London met.

no actually, essex uni and before you start, im not from essex.
however this is not a graded essay or dissertation and im not being marked for grammar or understanding of questions or statements therefore i dont need to write like i am

maybe if you directed your reply and specifically mentioned which part was aimed at which person, people may understand
Management and Technology degree

Best of both worlds
Reply 12
Original post by shawtyb
no actually, essex uni and before you start, im not from essex.
however this is not a graded essay or dissertation and im not being marked for grammar or understanding of questions or statements therefore i dont need to write like i am

maybe if you directed your reply and specifically mentioned which part was aimed at which person, people may understand

Oh, that explains it.
Reply 13
Original post by ruby420
Do you love physics?

I'm honestly not sure but I sit there in class and the feeling I get when I understand something or find/discover something new is indescribable
Reply 14
Original post by j.98
I'm honestly not sure but I sit there in class and the feeling I get when I understand something or find/discover something new is indescribable

What did you get in GCSE physics? If not A/A* then I wouldn't recommend engineering.
Reply 15
Original post by slb971
It really depends what company/sector you manage to get a job in when you graduate, some engineering jobs can make a lot of money. Also, doing econ won't guarantee that you'll get into a top position at an investment bank or hedge fund, since uni matters more than degree for these places as long as the degree is numerate.

so really there is no definitive answer and it all depends but at the end of the day, the better uni, the higher the chance of success in life?
Reply 16
Original post by ruby420
What did you get in GCSE physics? If not A/A* then I wouldn't recommend engineering.

A* physics
Reply 17
Original post by j.98
A* physics

See what you get in AS. If you get an A then you're capable.
Reply 18
Original post by ruby420
See what you get in AS. If you get an A then you're capable.

sounds like a plan, thankyou!
What do you actually want to do when you're older?

Latest

Trending

Trending