The Student Room Group

Universities with good mechanical engineering backgrounds(kind of urgent!)

Can anyone suggest uni's with a good mechanical engineering course?
I am applying with a foundation year, any suggestions?

Thanks !

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Manchester. I am in the second year of the Beng Mechanical Engineering degree. I also completed the foundation year and I can tell you it is really well structured.
Reply 2
Just a quick friendly piece of advice. Mechanical Engineering can be difficult, you can of course do it, but stay relaxed, pace yourself, and when you have spare time enjoy it.
Reply 3
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Mechanical+Engineering

See that. Most of the ones on the top are good.

Ones I think of for Mech engineering (or really any engineering) usually are Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, Bath, Southampton, Manchester, Bristol. Though plenty of others too.

Easiest way probably, look at your grades, apply to the ones which your grades are sufficient for. For example if you have A*A*A*, don't apply to the ones which want just three Cs. Best unis will tend to have the highest requirements.

Of course lots of other things you can consider, will you like the uni, course etc. And of course if you do well in your degree at any uni for mech eng that will probably matter more than uni reputation.

Only thing I would look out is make sure it is accredited IMechE (I think that's what it's called). Don't go to a uni that isn't, a lot of companies will not take engineers who graduated courses without that.

Don't know about how many of the unis provide foundation years to their courses, you'd have to ask someone else about that.
Reply 4
Original post by andy07070
Just a quick friendly piece of advice. Mechanical Engineering can be difficult, you can of course do it, but stay relaxed, pace yourself, and when you have spare time enjoy it.

Every discipline of engineering is hard. Sometimes I wonder why I did it lol, I'm sure I'm not having as much fun as a lot of the other courses.
Reply 5
Original post by Rotom
Every discipline of engineering is hard. Sometimes I wonder why I did it lol, I'm sure I'm not having as much fun as a lot of the other courses.

Mate I ask myself this question often.
It can be quite fun though sometimes right? Is there a better thing in life than selecting the correct bearing type for a spindle?
(Yes is the answer:smile:)
Reply 6
Mate I ask myself this question often.
It can be quite fun though sometimes right? Is there a better thing in life than selecting the correct bearing type for a spindle?
(Yes is the answer:smile:)

Well I don't do Mech Eng lol, I do Chem Eng though they a little similar. But you're right something like that is hard to have a passion for.

I mean if I could do something like play badminton for a degree, or play video games and get a great job with that I'd do that lol. But unfortunately life isn't like that.

And of course when something becomes your job, automatically your passion tends to decrease, because it's work. I went to a biology lecture once for fun and loved it, as it was a change. Though I'm sure if I went to biology lectures day in day out, I'd get bored of them.

End of the day you can't win :frown:.
Reply 7
Original post by Rotom
Well I don't do Mech Eng lol, I do Chem Eng though they a little similar. But you're right something like that is hard to have a passion for.

I mean if I could do something like play badminton for a degree, or play video games and get a great job with that I'd do that lol. But unfortunately life isn't like that.

And of course when something becomes your job, automatically your passion tends to decrease, because it's work. I went to a biology lecture once for fun and loved it, as it was a change. Though I'm sure if I went to biology lectures day in day out, I'd get bored of them.

End of the day you can't win :frown:.

Of course lad, work is work at the end of the day. I would love to play for man united, it just ain't gonna happen,

I will take it over shelf stacking or data entry any day though. At least with these ones, if you do manage to find a good job(I know that is another problem in itself), you will be well rewarded for it, and it will be a challenge, which for me is a good thing.

And you know you just gotta get on with it sometimes. Bills need to be paid, and independence costs money.

I still do try and take some joy from it, we are learning some quite exotic things, it is a once in a lifetime sort of chance to learnt these, it can be pretty cool, gotta look at it with the right eyes.

Beer is good as well, also holidays! And also video games.:smile:
Reply 8
Manchester. I am in the second year of the Beng Mechanical Engineering degree. I also completed the foundation year and I can tell you it is really well structured.

I have been in contact with them before but the entry requirement is too high for what I have at the moment. There is still some chance for me to get my grades higher since I will be repeating some exams, but I did the math and it is quite impossible.
Is it a good idea to change the university I have applied to already for a UNI that might/will reject my application?
Ps. I think my personal statement was quite good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by H.b9
I have been in contact with them before but the entry requirement is too high for what I have at the moment. There is still some chance for me to get my grades higher since I will be repeating some exams, but I did the math and it is quite impossible.
Is it a good idea to change the university I have applied to already for a UNI that might/will reject my application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Deadline has closed. Too late to change them easily now, even if it was a good idea, which it probably isn't.

However usual guidance is to apply to 1 or 2 asking a bit higher than your predictions (aspirational choices), and 1 or 2 asking below.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
Deadline has closed. Too late to change them easily now, even if it was a good idea, which it probably isn't.

However usual guidance is to apply to 1 or 2 asking a bit higher than your predictions (aspirational choices), and 1 or 2 asking below.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is exactly what I have done, unfortunately I've been having second thoughts on one if the uni's I applied to... Which is a bummer because its entry requirement is quite reasonable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by H.b9
That is exactly what I have done, unfortunately I've been having second thoughts on one if the uni's I applied to... Which is a bummer because its entry requirement is quite reasonable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You applied to? Or didn't apply to?

Anyway what's done is done.

Good luck getting and meeting your offers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by jneill
You applied to? Or didn't apply to?

Anyway what's done is done.

Good luck getting and meeting your offers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applied to, its entry requirement is within my range but I'm having a second thoughts about changing that UNI to another one

I was hoping I could still do something about it and change it since I still have or had 7 days to change UNI after my application was sent.

Anyway thanks for giving your thoughts, now what is done is done, for the looks of it... Everything happens for a reason

Yeah I kind of need the luck, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by H.b9
Applied to, its entry requirement is within my range but I'm having a second thoughts about changing that UNI to another one

I was hoping I could still do something about it and change it since I still have or had 7 days to change UNI after my application was sent.

Anyway thanks for giving your thoughts, now what is done is done, for the looks of it... Everything happens for a reason

Yeah I kind of need the luck, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can always contact UCAS and ask. If its within 7 days I think it may be doable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by H.b9

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you're doing a good thing repeating exams.In A levels definitely possible to do well. And a lot of unis, even top ones except retakes. Just work really hard on your retakes. Foundation years aren't easy either. Then when you have good grades you have your pick of unis. Even if you have to take a year off. You might even get into a good uni via clearing as long as you have the grades.

I would even take a year off if you don't end up doing well this year in A levels, retake them and do well (you'll have a whole year to revise). Then apply again next year. But hopefully just do well this year.

One thing I do advise is don't apply/accept to one that isn't IMechE accredited. Lots of employers (I'm sure all the big ones) won't accept ones that aren't.

If for example you do make the grades for a uni that you applied for foundation year, but got the grades that would be good enough to be accepted on the regular course (non-foundation), ring them up and ask if you can switch. I think some unis will allow that. Engineering especially, all they really care about is whether you have the grades to do the course mostly. It's a hard course and they need to know whether the person is academically able to complete the course. I mean people skills and stuff like that isn't too important lol (I mean it is if you choose to work as an engineer as a team, but you could also just decide you want to do research in a lab too so it's up to you).
Reply 15
Original post by Rotom
I think you're doing a good thing repeating exams.In A levels definitely possible to do well. And a lot of unis, even top ones except retakes. Just work really hard on your retakes. Foundation years aren't easy either. Then when you have good grades you have your pick of unis. Even if you have to take a year off. You might even get into a good uni via clearing as long as you have the grades.

I would even take a year off if you don't end up doing well this year in A levels, retake them and do well (you'll have a whole year to revise). Then apply again next year. But hopefully just do well this year.

One thing I do advise is don't apply/accept to one that isn't IMechE accredited. Lots of employers (I'm sure all the big ones) won't accept ones that aren't.

If for example you do make the grades for a uni that you applied for foundation year, but got the grades that would be good enough to be accepted on the regular course (non-foundation), ring them up and ask if you can switch. I think some unis will allow that. Engineering especially, all they really care about is whether you have the grades to do the course mostly. It's a hard course and they need to know whether the person is academically able to complete the course. I mean people skills and stuff like that isn't too important lol (I mean it is if you choose to work as an engineer as a team, but you could also just decide you want to do research in a lab too so it's up to you).

Thanks for the very good advice.
Hopefully I get to hear from the uni's I have applied to soon!
I do expect that the foundation year will not be as easy, just because entry requirements are lower compared to year 1 of the course.
Thanks again, and I'm doing my best to review well :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest