The Student Room Group

Imperial, Durham or Warwick for Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 09cliffb
I've applied for maths and need to decide between Imperial, Durham and Warwick for my firm and insurance. I obviously want to go somewhere where I'll enjoy but equally need a good uni as I'm hoping to do postgrad study as well... But I've heard horror stories about the social life at Imperial, and don't particularly like the Warwick campus... Help me decide? Any advice?

At any uni, your social life is what you make it to be, and social life in London is obvs best you can get.

Both are very strong in maths, but would firm imperial and insurance Warwick, as Imperial has overall better reputation.
Original post by yl95
Depends on your budget but if Fisher is still available, then don't apply to Fisher Hall. Don't apply to Woodward if you don't like long distance commutes (40min-ish on public transport!), although their facilities are good and they have their own bar. Eastside and Southside have very good facilities, especially kitchens compared to places like Pembridge which is pretty average to sub-average. Eastside and Southside are very close to College, around a 3 minute walk, and next to the College gym, which is REALLY CHEAP (40 pounds induction for the duration of your degree with top class equipment, saunas, swimming pool, squash courts etc -- used for Olympic training).
Beit is right next to the Union. Expensive as are Eastside and Southside.
Wilson is in Paddington and is pretty nice inside as well; they have grand pianos and a really nice common room.
Xenia is all the way in Waterloo so it's also a bit of a commute. Not that cheap either.
If you really don't want a hall then don't pick Xenia, Pembridge or Woodward because you'll probably get one of the three, haha.
I might have missed a Hall out...

I want to be as close to the uni as possible for the first year, since I probably won't be in the next years. Thinking of putting Beit/Southside/Eastside/Pembridge/Xenia. This sound reasonable? Beit first because it's in the mix a bit more and I like socializing. I heard some bad things about Xenia though in the past but it does look really nice from the photos. Bu yea i'd like to avoid a 40 min tube commute if I can lol
Reply 22
Original post by 09cliffb
I've applied for maths and need to decide between Imperial, Durham and Warwick for my firm and insurance. I obviously want to go somewhere where I'll enjoy but equally need a good uni as I'm hoping to do postgrad study as well... But I've heard horror stories about the social life at Imperial, and don't particularly like the Warwick campus... Help me decide? Any advice?

Anywhere except Warwick
Reply 23
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Imperial is vastly superior to Warwick.

Seriously, wth is it with this obsession with Warwick on tsr. You'd think it's Harvard by the way some people talk about it.

For maths? Nope. Cambridge themselves said Warwick is second only to them in the UK.

For everything else though, you're right. Imperial is vastly superior.
Original post by ruby420
For maths? Nope. Cambridge themselves said Warwick is second only to them in the UK.

For everything else though, you're right. Imperial is vastly superior.

Do Cambridge have some kind of monopoly on deciding the Maths rankings or something? They probably mean 'research wise'. That may be true (however doubtful). But employers don't care about that sort of stuff, and most people focus on the general reputation of a University.

Besides, employers literally couldn't care less about subject rankings. What matters most is the overall reputation of a University. Imperial has more 'prestige'.

Essex apparently has a brilliant Politics department, but you would tell someone to go Essex over UCL for Politics simply because of that would you? UCL is the vastly superior University overall.
Do Cambridge have some kind of monopoly on deciding the Maths rankings or something? They probably mean 'research wise'. That may be true (however doubtful). But employers don't care about that sort of stuff, and most people focus on the general reputation of a University.

Besides, employers literally couldn't care less about subject rankings. What matters most is the overall reputation of a University. Imperial has more 'prestige'.

Essex apparently has a brilliant Politics department, but you would tell someone to go Essex over UCL for Politics simply because of that would you? UCL is the vastly superior University overall.

Nope, nope, Imperial doesn't have a huge superiority over Warwick for Maths.
Original post by yl95
Nope, nope, Imperial doesn't have a huge superiority over Warwick for Maths.

Again, you focus on subject specific differences. But at least you concede Imperial is better for Maths as well.

Regardless, my central point is that people don't really care about minor differences in one University being better for one subject. Besides how do you even measure that?

What is most relevant is the overall reputation. Both excellent Universities, but Imperial takes the edge very easily.
Again, you focus on subject specific differences. But at least you concede Imperial is better for Maths as well.

Regardless, my central point is that people don't really care about minor differences in one University being better for one subject. Besides how do you even measure that?

What is most relevant is the overall reputation. Both excellent Universities, but Imperial takes the edge very easily.

This thread is regarding the different universities for Maths, though.
I didn't say that Imperial is better of Maths; they're pretty even. Warwick has much more flexibility in its course so if people prefer that, it's probably a better course for them.
Original post by yl95
This thread is regarding the different universities for Maths, though.
I didn't say that Imperial is better of Maths; they're pretty even. Warwick has much more flexibility in its course so if people prefer that, it's probably a better course for them.

And I'm saying the difference between Imperial and Warwick for Maths is small and insignificant, so OP should just go with Imperial, since it is the significantly better University overall.

I should clarify: My answers are based on which University is more 'prestigious'. Not which is the better fit for 'OP'. thats for him to decide.
Reply 29

Well, yes, seeing as they are THE best institution for maths in Europe and 2nd best in the world (aftet Harvard). I'm pretty sure they know how good a degree is.

I agree with your second point as well, but "Warwick maths" is a brand in itself. When an average person hears Warwick uni they think maths.

Though yes, Warwick is unknown internationally. Within the UK, warwick/imperial maths will make hardly any difference at all to your prospects. The degree itself is much better at Warwick though because of how much choice and optional units they have.
Original post by ruby420
Well, yes, seeing as they are THE best institution for maths in Europe and 2nd best in the world (aftet Harvard). I'm pretty sure they know how good a degree is.

I agree with your second point as well, but "Warwick maths" is a brand in itself. When an average person hears Warwick uni they think maths.

Though yes, Warwick is unknown internationally. Within the UK, warwick/imperial maths will make hardly any difference at all to your prospects. The degree itself is much better at Warwick though because of how much choice and optional units they have.

Degree itself being better because of choice and can be a good or bad thing; it can also mean that students can choose not so rigorous courses and end up missing what would be cores of some other courses. Also, Imperial's course for the first two years is very pure.

Cambridge might be the best for Maths in Europe but it still doesn't mean that their opinion is necessarily the only opinion we should follow.

The recruiters do know, about the particular subject rankings, they don't live somewhere, where you have never heard of universities. Employers do care, because it matters. Having employees from unis with prestige is not what they want, they want employees from good universities, who learned what they need for the job. Whether that is Warwick or Imperial or another uni on that level, doesn't matter. The university makes only a tiny amount of a lot (grade, extracurriculars, research experience, internships, ...) and what can be an advantage at one company, can be no or even a disadvantage at another.

Original post by ruby420
Though yes, Warwick is unknown internationally.

At least in Europe it is known. Warwick is known for Math/Econ. The recruiters often have a very good grasp of which Universities are on the top of the game, so most worries are unnecessary. .
People are overestimating how well known Imperial is globally lol, it's probably on par with Warwick in terms of name brand recognition. People aren't going to know about one and not the other.

The only TRULY global names are the likes of Oxbridge, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford - maybe St Andrews and Edinburgh Other UK universities are roughly tit for tat the same in terms of general recognition.

Case in point, Warwick is represented amongst the classes of the best MBA and PhD programmes around the world; US top employers know about the brand name as they've had people transfer from the UK to the US.

Smaug mate, stop being so insecure about the whole Warwick thing - it's not that deep.

OP, whichever you choose, you'll end uo loving - Imo, I'd go with either Warwick or Imperial but all are good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nathanielle
The recruiters do know, about the particular subject rankings, they don't live somewhere, where you have never heard of universities. Employers do care, because it matters. Having employees from unis with prestige is not what they want, they want employees from good universities, who learned what they need for the job. Whether that is Warwick or Imperial or another uni on that level, doesn't matter. The university makes only a tiny amount of a lot (grade, extracurriculars, research experience, internships, ...) and what can be an advantage at one company, can be no or even a disadvantage at another.

At least in Europe it is known. Warwick is known for Math/Econ. The recruiters often have a very good grasp of which Universities are on the top of the game, so most worries are unnecessary. .

This ^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
People are overestimating how well known Imperial is globally lol, it's probably on par with Warwick in terms of name brand recognition. People aren't going to know about one and not the other.

The only TRULY global names are the likes of Oxbridge, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford - maybe St Andrews and Edinburgh Other UK universities are roughly tit for tat the same in terms of general recognition.

Case in point, Warwick is represented amongst the classes of the best MBA and PhD programmes around the world; US top employers know about the brand name as they've had people transfer from the UK to the US.

Smaug mate, stop being so insecure about the whole Warwick thing - it's not that deep.

OP, whichever you choose, you'll end uo loving - Imo, I'd go with either Warwick or Imperial but all are good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imperial is actually well known in countries like China and Hong Kong. LSE still definitely has the edge in recognition, though.
Reply 35
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imperial recently became the most international of uk unis.

The vast numbers of students from the Far East attending Imperial is proof it's recognised worldwide.
Reply 36
Imperial and imperial again!
As somebody that is at Imperial.. Warwick.
Reply 38
Original post by Manchester United
As somebody that is at Imperial.. Warwick.

What's wrong with Imperial?

Quick Reply

Latest