The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ringspun
I was never good at Maths. I was just one the way back home aft nearly winning raffle on Euromillions and preferred the number selection on lotto. Very confused how to pick my numbers I had to come up with a method. After just trying to evenly pace them out, or going in 4's I came up with that selection. 54,57 are even between 60

Well, take it from somebody who is good enough at maths: there's no point splitting hairs over which numbers to pick. If, as I have every reason to believe, the balls are drawn at random, then all combinations are equally likely to come up and your carefully-selected numbers are no more likely to be drawn than any other combination of numbers.

So, if you're going to play, save yourself some time and use a random number generator.
Reply 21
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Could you go in to detail about the way your mind worked out the probabilities...

I predicted last season West Ham would do well likely beat the top teams. Guess what happened is season?

I also publicly stated on fb when Navas would score 2 years ago. I've been very close or spot on on obscure predictions. I'm not really working things out a such its more like I'm special
Just think of how unlikely it is for the numbers to be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, because that's a lot more intuitive. Then recognise that whatever combination you pick is just as unlikely to be drawn. Your odds are astronomically low.
Reply 23
Original post by Hydeman
Well, take it from somebody who is good enough at maths: there's no point splitting hairs over which numbers to pick. If, as I have every reason to believe, the balls are drawn at random, then all combinations are equally likely to come up and your carefully-selected numbers are no more likely to be drawn than any other combination of numbers.

So, if you're going to play, save yourself some time and use a random number generator.

I don't have the patience but I'm great at spotting sequences or similarities. Basically when my back is against the wall, I just get this overwhelming sense of certainty
I don't have the patience but I'm great at spotting sequences or similarities. Basically when my back is against the wall, I just get this overwhelming sense of certainty

They operative words being 'sense of.' Your certainty is illusory.

Sequences or similarities are entirely coincidental when each event is independent of every other event.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Saoirse:3
Just think of how unlikely it is for the numbers to be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, because that's a lot more intuitive. Then recognise that whatever combination you pick is just as unlikely to be drawn. Your odds are astronomically low.

I understand the odds... No numbers are intuitive to me whatsoever. Imagine how many ppl pick those numbers above?
Reply 26
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Its no conspiracy. Your small brain just cannot comprehend probabilities and chance

Why don't you test me potato head?
Reply 27
Original post by Hydeman

All I'm saying is someone would have picked them!
All I'm saying is someone would have picked them!

And all I'm saying is that you're wrong; someone could have picked them, but it's not only not a foregone conclusion, but stupendously improbable.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Saoirse:3

I understand the odds... No numbers are intuitive to me whatsoever. Imagine how many ppl pick those numbers above?

Don't pick that actual series - you'll be sharing your winnings (if it turns up) with 1000's of others.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/17/national-lottery-numbers-20-years-katie-price-win-jackpot
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Hydeman
They operative words being 'sense of.' Your certainty is illusory.

Sequences or similarities are entirely coincidental when each event is independent of every other event.

Read the title again
Read the title again

Read GCSE maths again.
Reply 32
Original post by Hydeman
And all I'm saying is that you're wrong; someone could have picked them, but it's not only not a foregone conclusion, but stupendously improbable.

Euromillions had 3 of the same balls this week as well
Euromillions had 3 of the same balls this week as well

If true, it's simple chance. Nothing more.
Reply 34
Original post by Hydeman
Read GCSE maths again.

I recall reading a paper marked Higher
I recall reading a paper marked Higher

You clearly don't recall any of the content of that paper, then.
Reply 36
I lost few brain cells reading the entire thread and the replies :frown:
Why don't you test me potato head?

Get a brain mo ran

The number of people picking those numbers are irrelevent. The facts that matter are this:

There are 45,057,474 different combinations you can choose from. All are equally likely. Thus you have a one in 45,057,474 chance of winning with each entry. This will scale all the way up to a 100% chance of winning if you buy 45,056,474 tickets covering every unique combination - although at that stage you'll make a loss anyway!

Therefore, if 15M people entered, and all chose a different combination, there's a 1 in 3 chance one of them will win. Since two thirds of combinations are selected by nobody, there's at least a two-thirds chance nobody wins. In reality this is even higher because some people choose the same lines, such as the 1-2-3-4-5-6 above. There are also more people picking numbers from 1 to 31 because they base their selections on birthdays, meaning that although your chances of winning are the same no matter what numbers you pick, you have a higher chance of having to split the jackpot if you win on these numbers.

That's why you'll typically only get a winner once in every four or five draws.
I predicted last season West Ham would do well likely beat the top teams. Guess what happened is season?

I also publicly stated on fb when Navas would score 2 years ago. I've been very close or spot on on obscure predictions. I'm not really working things out a such its more like I'm special

Don't bother with something random like lotto then just play large scale bets on football. If you had put say £1000 on Navas to score you would have made a decent amount.

Do you do fantasy premier league? how are you doing this season?

Latest