The Student Room Group

Why does this happen to me?

I have a serous issue which I need help with. But first, you guys need a little back story on me.

I got horrible results for my edexcel june 2015 as level exam. I decided to drop out and focus on self studies and rely on my tuition teaches for new subject content. Right now, im doing my jan reists. Uptil now, I have been studying very hard, doing papers, appreciating the subject more and doing everything I can to become better.
I have given up on several bad habits, impoved my health and I have changed so much.

However, out of the 7 units I have done so far, I only feel comfortable with 3-4. I just feel so devastated because after everything, when I sit for the actual exam, so much fear builds up in me and I cant face it. Because of this, my mentality for the upcoming papers are affected. As a result, what is supposed to be a pleasant examination is turning into a nightmare. I feel like such a let down. I have one more paper on jan 25th. (Bio u3) ill be getting my results on match 3rd.

Ill be sitting for a2 exam this June, so I really need advice on how to deal woth my issue of fear and stress:/

If you guys need more details, please ask. I really want to find a way out.
Reply 1
As a mature student I can only say, as difficult and unreasonable as this may sound, give your absolute everything to passing your remaining exams. It's hard when there is so much happening outside... personal issues, social life etc, but take it from me: You don't want to be looking back on this in 10 years thinking "why oh why did I not just sit my backside down and study hard for those last few papers?"

Think about it reasonably... Do you really want to progress into higher education? If the answer is yes then forget any shortcomings you may have had in the past and really dedicate the remaining study time you have to getting the absolute best grade you can. If this means cutting yourself off from your friends then do it. It's only a short period of time and once you have really absorbed the information you are studying you will feel so much better about sitting your last few exams. You'll feel confident and at ease with the thought of sitting in that room with your test in front of you.

With hard work you can literally do anything you put your mind to!!! You just need to apply yourself whole heartedly and you can do it... anyone can! You are not a let down unless you give up... cliché I know but this is the truth.

Your study plan is crucial. It's going to take discipline which for the likes of us can be really difficult but you've already proved you've got what it takes by giving up some of your more unsavoury habits!!! Think of the future you sitting here giving you this advice. You know what you have to do to get the results you want... just go for it! You'll thank yourself later.

It's stressful, but like all things stress can be managed. Ask your parents, older siblings and or teachers to help you structure a revsion/ study plan. Stick to it religiously and balance the hard work out with things you enjoy doing. Dedicate at least 3 hours a day to revision and reading and then reward yourself for doing so. Do LOTS of practice papers. I can't stress this enough. Nothing will prepare you better for your exams than knowing the format and structure of the paper you're sitting beforehand. Talk to people when it gets too much (like you have done here.) Your exam fear is not unreasonable... but you have to realise that if you feel prepared it will pretty much cancel out the trepidation you feel when walking into that exam hall.

I did none of these things, and although I had fun, this process (so many years after leaving college) has been much harder than it needed to be! You've experienced the bitter taste of under-achieving... you deserve to feel the relief of success. You are not a let down, you just need to breathe when you get in there and trust yourself. If you've stuck to your revision plan you'll soon realise that when you start writing the paragraphs will just start coming out automatically!Study hard now and play hard later... I know this was a long read but I sincerely hope you overcome the hurdles you are facing right now in your academic life.

All the best
Reply 2
Original post by LVRG
As a mature student I can only say, as difficult and unreasonable as this may sound, give your absolute everything to passing your remaining exams. It's hard when there is so much happening outside... personal issues, social life etc, but take it from me: You don't want to be looking back on this in 10 years thinking "why oh why did I not just sit my backside down and study hard for those last few papers?"

Think about it reasonably... Do you really want to progress into higher education? If the answer is yes then forget any shortcomings you may have had in the past and really dedicate the remaining study time you have to getting the absolute best grade you can. If this means cutting yourself off from your friends then do it. It's only a short period of time and once you have really absorbed the information you are studying you will feel so much better about sitting your last few exams. You'll feel confident and at ease with the thought of sitting in that room with your test in front of you.

With hard work you can literally do anything you put your mind to!!! You just need to apply yourself whole heartedly and you can do it... anyone can! You are not a let down unless you give up... cliché I know but this is the truth.

Your study plan is crucial. It's going to take discipline which for the likes of us can be really difficult but you've already proved you've got what it takes by giving up some of your more unsavoury habits!!! Think of the future you sitting here giving you this advice. You know what you have to do to get the results you want... just go for it! You'll thank yourself later.

It's stressful, but like all things stress can be managed. Ask your parents, older siblings and or teachers to help you structure a revsion/ study plan. Stick to it religiously and balance the hard work out with things you enjoy doing. Dedicate at least 3 hours a day to revision and reading and then reward yourself for doing so. Do LOTS of practice papers. I can't stress this enough. Nothing will prepare you better for your exams than knowing the format and structure of the paper you're sitting beforehand. Talk to people when it gets too much (like you have done here.) Your exam fear is not unreasonable... but you have to realise that if you feel prepared it will pretty much cancel out the trepidation you feel when walking into that exam hall.

I did none of these things, and although I had fun, this process (so many years after leaving college) has been much harder than it needed to be! You've experienced the bitter taste of under-achieving... you deserve to feel the relief of success. You are not a let down, you just need to breathe when you get in there and trust yourself. If you've stuck to your revision plan you'll soon realise that when you start writing the paragraphs will just start coming out automatically!Study hard now and play hard later... I know this was a long read but I sincerely hope you overcome the hurdles you are facing right now in your academic life.

All the best

Thank you very much. ill do my best for my next exam on the 25th.
If I do I get low marks for a certain unit for my resits, ill beg my parents to have one more chance.
but again, thank you very much
The best way to prepare for me (as someone who copes terribly with stress) is practicing past papers in slightly strange places. The comfort of your home environment- which you are very familiar with does not duplicate the stress of an exam hall or exam officials. Try cafes near busy environments such a train or bus station or someone completely unfamiliar to you such as a local universities library. This will make the exam hall less intimidating and therefore the paper itself.
Hope that helps!
Reply 4
Original post by frostyjacks4life
The best way to prepare for me (as someone who copes terribly with stress) is practicing past papers in slightly strange places. The comfort of your home environment- which you are very familiar with does not duplicate the stress of an exam hall or exam officials. Try cafes near busy environments such a train or bus station or someone completely unfamiliar to you such as a local universities library. This will make the exam hall less intimidating and therefore the paper itself.
Hope that helps!

I took a mini hiatus from tsr so excuse mr if im late. Thank you for your advice.
Im going to keep giving my best and push myself. I also found my personal motto:biggrin:

You either be all of it or none of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by therecovery
I have a serous issue which I need help with. But first, you guys need a little back story on me.

I got horrible results for my edexcel june 2015 as level exam. I decided to drop out and focus on self studies and rely on my tuition teaches for new subject content. Right now, im doing my jan reists. Uptil now, I have been studying very hard, doing papers, appreciating the subject more and doing everything I can to become better.
I have given up on several bad habits, impoved my health and I have changed so much.

However, out of the 7 units I have done so far, I only feel comfortable with 3-4. I just feel so devastated because after everything, when I sit for the actual exam, so much fear builds up in me and I cant face it. Because of this, my mentality for the upcoming papers are affected. As a result, what is supposed to be a pleasant examination is turning into a nightmare. I feel like such a let down. I have one more paper on jan 25th. (Bio u3) ill be getting my results on match 3rd.

Ill be sitting for a2 exam this June, so I really need advice on how to deal woth my issue of fear and stress:/

If you guys need more details, please ask. I really want to find a way out.

Just think what have you really got to lose? Tests can be retaken, you just have to breathe and realise you know the content. That's all you can do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest