The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As long as she felt comfortable with her partner and was on the pill or using protection then yes I would. I would prefer they were going out for a wee while beforehand though and I had met him a lot and got to know him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TrotskyiteRebel
So someone told me that she used to have sex with her boyfriend at 15 years old while her parents were home. And that sometimes he stayed over. In that moment i tried to imagine my own future daughter and I really really tried to be liberal and open minded and that but I gathered I can not in any ways allow my daughter to have sex in my house. I will probably go kill the boyfriend with a hammer and watch him die. I don't care that I'll go to prison or anything. Would you allow that to happen?

I'd interview him first. If I deemed him worthy then he could mount her
Original post by DanB1991
Ohhhh how naive..... I remember speaking to many parents who said such things..... despite knowing they were getting all sexed up in the local park. I remember one christian mother who stated how despite religious beliefs sex should wait until you're older and more mature.... despite her daughter, who also spouted the same rubbish, being the first one in our group at 14 to loose her virginity.

Guess what? 15 year old girls by large think they are much more mature than they actually are... it's why you see many chasing after guys much older... or heaven forbid teachers!

Also at 15 your "child" is definitely not a "child", kids that age used to die for their country and act like adults. Childhood ends around 10-11 for girls and 11-12 for boys on average. By 14 both would of entered adolescence.

I'm sure your view is most likely due to the fact you don't have any 15 year old children..... but calling a 15 year old a child is extremely condescending to any 15 year old....

The main reason many underage teenagers get pregnant is because many parents get too embarrassed or awkward talking to children about safe sex.... thus many children talk amoung themselves.... that's the main reason you still have teenagers who think you can't get pregnant standing up etc.... it's directly the parents fault for not arming their children with knowledge about safe sex.

If you don't talk to your kids about sex and safe sex.... it will most likely be one of their peers.... and I know who I would rather inform them.... the parent!

Why are you and others forgetting I wasn't 15 that long ago? It's not condescending because I was a child. I've always been very mature, you ask my parents, but I was still legally a child. Calling a child a child isn't condescending, below the age of 18 your legally a child so it isn't "condescending" no matter how mature they are, and yes they are transitioning into an adult, I mentioned that in my previous post.

It's really not naive, I mean obviously it's not completely the parents fault if you are getting "sexed up" in your local park, you have to take some that responsibility...but that's beside the point. The whole "rebelling" thing doesn't happen when you have parents that communicate with you but are still strict (like my parents), we can be "friends" sometimes but they are still my parents.

Honestly good parenting means no "sexed up" 15 year olds if I'm honest, it's as simple as that, it may sound judgemental but whatever. Like I have huge respect for my parents, they had a good and strict parenting style, me and my mum are very close. I don't know why you feel like telling your 15 year old not to have sex is strict parenting anyway, it isn't.

I don't think parents have to talk about sex to their children, I really, really don't (I'm not saying I won't, I may) but I truly don't believe there is any need to sit a 14/15 year old and tell the them the dangers of sex, when firstly they shouldn't be having sex, and secondly the world isn't how it was 70 years ago, sex is everywhere. People feel like if parents don't teach their children they are doing them an injustice by letting school teach them, but most people learn from a variety of sources such as the internet, and tv now a days. My parents ever spoke about sex, ask me anything, I most likely know. I never went out my way to gather the information either, it really is everywhere.
Yep, would give me a chance to scare the boy.

Having been a young boy trying to have sex with everyone I would rather my children have sex somewhere safe and comfortable than in fields and toilets. I was having sex in my house including showerss with my GFs etc at that age and my mum didn't care. In fact, she once asked me to shower at the same time as one GF to save hot water. I didn't always get on with her but she did me a solid that day :lol:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
No I bloody wouldn't. She wouldn't even be allowed boys in her room....:colonhash:

Aren't you like 16?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Aren't you like 16?

:colonhash: 18
I would be incredibly unhappy if I discovered my 15 year old daughter having sex, and it is something I will not allow. This does not mean, however, I will not teach her sex about (I will tell her that's a significant issue, but I might reserve the safe sex talk until she is at least 16), but I will strongly emphasise that is something I do not agree with and I do not want her doing. After the age of 16, I am unsure; I would like my daughter to not have sex and wait until she is 18, but I would be hypocrite if I forbade her.

It all comes down to parenting I believe; If I am a good parent, my daughter will not feel the need to have sex at 15, and nor would she need to. She will be focusing on her GCSEs, extra-curricular activities, and having fun as a teenager. It is difficult to get the right balance. You don't want to be too liberal, otherwise they are more likely to have sex; however you don't want to be too strict or they might rebel, do things behind your back and not talk to you about such issues.

I completely agree, sex is for adults. I think there is so much more to sex that a 15 year old wouldn't understand, regardless of their maturity level.

Original post by loveleest
Yes, I agree. I think 18 aswell. I don't see why they would want to have sex under 18 when there are better things to worry about.

You both think over the age of 18 is fine, okay; what do you think of 17 year olds having sex? They can drive and work; they're practically adults, so why can they not have sex? I'm on the fence with this, so I would like to hear what you think.
(edited 8 years ago)
:colonhash: 18

I guarantee you will look back on yourself as you grow up as being naive and "childish"

You aint automatically this bastian of sensible maturity the moment you turn 16/18/21 and I'm not sure it ever properly happens :-/

Just because 15 yr olds are a still teenagers doesn't mean they are not going to be doing sex things. They will have a sex drive and some of them will get girlfriend/boyfriends. I don;t think it is inherently bad if two 15 years olds were doing sex things. But even if it is it is still goign to happen. May as well happen somewhere safe.
(edited 8 years ago)
I remember being 15
I remember having a boyfriend at 15
I remember all sorts of bad things happening to me at 15

No...way...in...hell.

My daughter is 10 at the moment. The next few years are going to be rough, but I'll weather it.
Original post by drowzee
I would be incredibly unhappy if I discovered my 15 year old daughter having sex, and it is something I will not allow. This does not mean, however, I will not teach her sex about (I will tell her that's a significant issue, but I might reserve the safe sex talk until she is at least 16), but I will strongly emphasise that is something I do not agree with and I do not want her doing. After the age of 16, I am unsure; I would like my daughter to not have sex and wait until she is 18, but I would be hypocrite if I forbade her.

When has that ever gone wrong :lolwut:

Well school will undermine that. With good reason. She will have a sex drive well before that age. Would you really want her ignorant of stuff like STIs, contraception etc?
Original post by drowzee

You both think over the age of 18 is fine, okay; what do you think of 17 year olds having sex? They can drive and work; they're practically adults, so why can they not have sex? I'm on the fence with this, so I would like to hear what you think.

There isn't a huge amount of difference between 17 and 18 to be honest. I think that is where maturity comes in, but a "mature 15 year old" doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid.
It's not something I have control over for me to 'let' her do it or not. I would rather it was in the safety of her bedroom and I know that she is practicing safe sex. If I try stop her it wouldn't stop her, it would just mean that she knows how to hide it better. Although I would not want my 15 year old having sex until they are of legal age but if they are mature enough to make this decision I think it's better if I know about it so I can keep her safe. It is not good for there to be secrets.
Original post by Ribbit1234
Nah He'd probably give his daughter condoms at 13 to tell her to be safe and then tell her how proud he is of her..

He's most likely kidding...
Somebody gonna get hurt real bad. :colonhash:
When has that ever gone wrong :lolwut:

Well school will undermine that. With good reason. She will have a sex drive well before that age. Would you really want her ignorant of stuff like STIs, contraception etc?

I feel as if I would be encouraging her to have sex, if I teach her about contraception. I forgot to mention STIs... That will be used as a way to discourage her, subtly :biggrin: I'm still only 17 so I don't know if I will still have these views when I'm a parent. :tongue:
There isn't a huge amount of difference between 17 and 18 to be honest. I think that is where maturity comes in, but a "mature 15 year old" doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid.

So if she is a mature 17 year old, you would "accept" it?
I guarantee you will look back on yourself as you grow up as being naive and "childish"

You aint automatically this bastian of sensible maturity the moment you turn 16/18/21 and I'm not sure it ever properly happens :-/

Just because 15 yr olds are a still teenagers doesn't mean they are not going to be doing sex things. They will have a sex drive and some of them will get girlfriend/boyfriends. I don;t think it is inherently bad if two 15 years olds were doing sex things. But even if it is it is still goign to happen. May as well happen somewhere safe.

I doubt it, I'm very mature for my age, I always have been. I've never felt like a "child". My views aren't naive because quite clearly it wasn't that long ago when I was 15 myself, I do understand what it's like to be 15 but I have also seen girls pregnant at 16 and that does't look very good either. To me it's probably one the most awful things to happen that young, but it is down to your life choices I suppose, each to their own.
(edited 8 years ago)
This is why I'll never want to have children. I probably won't be able to protect them from societal influences.
Original post by drowzee
I feel as if I would be encouraging her to have sex, if I teach her about contraception. I forgot to mention STIs... That will be used as a way to discourage her, subtly :biggrin: I'm still only 17 so I don't know if I will still have these views when I'm a parent. :tongue:

So if she is a mature 17 year old, you would "accept" it?

At 17, if I'm providing for my child, meaning they still live at home and under my roof and they are having sex, I'm not okay with it.

As I said before, I truly believe sex is meant to be between adults (that is my honest opinion, many will disagree), I believe you can have sex when you don't live under a parents roof, when you really are an adult, then go ahead and do as you please. But whilst your still and home and I'm providing for you, sex shouldn't really be at the forefront of your mind.

I don't know why it sounds like it's some sort of militant parenting but now allowing your teenager to have sex. I just want to raise my children so that they make good decisions, when they should be making those decisions. There is nothing wrong with that. :s-smilie:
Yeah... otherwise she'll have it in a car, forest, toilet or his bedroom.

EDIT: why the **** would I know? I would probs cage her if I did...
(edited 8 years ago)
At 17, if I'm providing for my child, meaning they still live at home and under my roof and they are having sex, I'm not okay with it.

As I said before, I truly believe sex is meant to be between adults (that is my honest opinion, many will disagree), I believe you can have sex when you don't live under a parents roof, when you really are an adult, then go ahead and do as you please. But whilst your still and home and I'm providing for you, sex shouldn't really be at the forefront of your mind.

I don't know why it sounds like it's some sort of militant parenting but now allowing your teenager to have sex. I just want to raise my children so that they make good decisions, when they should be making those decisions. There is nothing wrong with that. :s-smilie:

A 17 year old can be very mature... They are allowed to drive and work, so they are responsible enough have sex.

The bold part: This is redundant; people live with their parents if they're at university, when they finish, and when they're have started working. Are these people not "adults"?

I agree with you that children under 16 should not be having sex, but after that, there is little you can do to stop them.

Latest

Trending

Trending