The Student Room Group

The number of students already regretting their UCAS choices is staggering

We asked you guys whether you were happy with your university choices or having second thoughts.

Surprisingly 10% said that you were unhappy with your decisions and 30% of you said you were having second thoughts.

The survey results have been covered in The Independent
Read The Independent article here

What do you think, are you having cold feet about your uni choices?
I go to school outside the UK. I think a big factor for schools abroad is educating children and encouraging them to research for themselves, as visiting is very hard unless being called for interview.

A lot in my school are very happy with their choices, and I think this is because the school informs us very well through representatives of unis, alumni visits etc. I think this is why lots of schools abroad are generally happy with their choices. (Because many are forced to go the extra mile in choosing to compensate for the lack of visits available)
(edited 8 years ago)
This is why we university mods and @PQ and @returnmigrant keep banging on about not making firm and insurance choices until the last minute.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes i already regret 2 of my choices and have substituted 1.
Original post by MarleyZ
We asked you guys whether you were happy with your university choices or having second thoughts.

Surprisingly 10% said that you were unhappy with your decisions and 30% of you said you were having second thoughts.

That's in line with the HEPI survey http://www.hepi.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/AS-PRINTED-HEA_HEPI_report_print4.pdf
Page 15

Although their base size and methodology probably beat TSR polls

Edit:
The HEPI survey also shows the following groups more likely to regret course choices:
Male students (33% would change, 11% definitely)
Business & Administrative studies students (41% would change, 13% definitely)
Combined courses (39%, 13% definitely)
Non-EU, EU and Welsh students compared to Scotland and NI (England are middling)
Mature students compared to those under 21
Black and Asian students compared to White students
3rd year students (31%, 12%) compared to 1st years (27%, 8%)
Low contact hours students (36, 11) compared to 20+ scheduled hours (27, 9)
Third years paying LOWER fees (who maybe rushed in in 2011 instead of taking a gap year to avoid the £9k fees)
Million plus universities (36, 12) compared to GuildHE (31, 10) and 1994 (31, 10) and RG (29, 8)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by MarleyZ

One comment: “My first choice is three-and a-half hours away which is too far for me. I’m still figuring out what to do.”

Er, you're not supposed to be commuting there. So much for independent living...
Tbf, I'm not totally happy with my choices. I really liked a couple London unis and was worried about the cost of living.

But I've since found a fam friend who I could have rented cheaply from. But I think I made the best choices with the info available to me at the time :h:. I'm not sure why the non medics/Oxbridge applicants applied this early.

Why people are firm/insuring this early is beyond me.

Original post by jneill
One comment: “My first choice is three-and a-half hours away which is too far for me. I’m still figuring out what to do.”Er, you're not supposed to be commuting there. So much for independent living...

Might have ticked the "living at home" box already. Unlucky.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
One comment: “My first choice is three-and a-half hours away which is too far for me. I’m still figuring out what to do.”

Er, you're not supposed to be commuting there. So much for independent living...

Or geographical knowledge prior to applying...
I'm happy with all but one - going up to when I applied, I was still debating on whether to put Birmingham as my last choice or use it to apply to Cambridge's second application round (as they say, your only definite chance of not getting in is not applying).

I wasn't too keen on Birmingham's modules, but I liked the university and city, so I debated it as my fifth choice for lack of a better option. In the end, I decided Cambridge really wasn't suited to me and - on the very slight chance I got an offer - I'd be hesitant to take it, anyway, so decided on Birmingham in the end.

Now ... I'm kind of having second thoughts about it - I wish I'd put Cambridge down to at least have that option be a possibility to me. Warwick's still my favourite, though, so it's not a major deal - I figure, if I decide I did want to give Cambridge a go after all, I could always try for postgrad. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PQ
That's in line with the HEPI survey http://www.hepi.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/AS-PRINTED-HEA_HEPI_report_print4.pdf
Page 15

Edit:
The HEPI survey also shows the following groups more likely to regret course choices:
Non-EU, EU and Welsh students compared to Scotland and NI (England are middling)
Third years paying LOWER fees (who maybe rushed in in 2011 instead of taking a gap year to avoid the £9k fees)
Million plus universities (36, 12) compared to GuildHE (31, 10) and 1994 (31, 10) and RG (29, 8)

Interesting.

You see, I always thought mature students would be less likely to regret their course choice - a lot of the people on my course came on with a definite idea of what they wanted to do, having had an extended amount of time to figure it out.

The only indecisive ones, thinking about it, were those of us who are younger. I'll just about make mature student status, but all the others who were indecisive will still be classed as traditional students when they attend.
Reply 10
Original post by Student403
I go to school outside the UK. I think a big factor for schools abroad is educating children and encouraging them to research for themselves, as visiting is very hard unless being called for interview.

A lot in my school are very happy with their choices, and I think this is because the school informs us very well through representatives of unis, alumni visits etc. I think this is why lots of schools abroad are generally happy with their choices. (Because many are forced to go the extra mile in choosing to compensate for the lack of visits available)

That's a really interesting point. Students who are coming from abroad research more thoroughly and are very well supported by their schools - maybe that isn't the case as much with UK students studying in the UK!
Reply 11
Original post by Biofreak19
Yes i already regret 2 of my choices and have substituted 1.

What made you change your mind about your 2 choices?
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
Page 15

Edit:

Ooh thanks for sharing this! Really interesting piece of research :^_^:
Original post by MarleyZ
That's a really interesting point. Students who are coming from abroad research more thoroughly and are very well supported by their schools - maybe that isn't the case as much with UK students studying in the UK!

I think that's just it - I guess living in the UK is great if you're willing to visit the unis though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending