The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
Any idea on when the 2016-2017 Bursary Information will be up? Figures etc?
Since I imagine it will change to the removal of Grants by the Government.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Hi,
Any idea on when the 2016-2017 Bursary Information will be up? Figures etc?
Since I imagine it will change to the removal of Grants by the Government.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I'm afraid not. This isn't decided at a College level.
Reply 22
Would you advice on taking STEP the year before applying, bearing in mind that my country's maths syllabus is almost completely unrelated to the exam? Would you ask an applicant to retake the exam if he manages to cover the usual offer pre-interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
No I'm afraid not. This isn't decided at a College level.

Thanks anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
What type of evidence do you like to see for aptitude at Maths (for a maths degree)? I will have taken C1, C2, S1, M1, FP1 by the application but will be doing the rest in 2017. I'm also taking Chemistry, Economics and Spanish (will drop Spanish after AS).

Also, I have anxiety problems that would likely make an interview difficult for me, do you consider this in making your decision? I just miss qualifying for extenuating circumstances, so probably wouldn't be submitting an ECF. Would I need to get my school to write a letter confirming I do really have problems and don't just want to be 'let off easily' at interview?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25

Ask in here?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3830287
Welcome to the University of Cambridge forum

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by jneill
Ask in here?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3830287
Welcome to the University of Cambridge forum

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or even better, email CAO of the university?

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/contact-us
Which set of A-levels would you prefer me to take to A2?

Maths, Politics and Biology
or
Maths, Politics and History

Also how much importance do you place on GCSEs - would one A*, five As and 5 Bs seriously impact me, even if I get predicted A*AA or more.
Original post by jamestg

or

Also how much importance do you place on GCSEs - would one A*, five As and 5 Bs seriously impact me, even if I get predicted A*AA or more.

For what course?
How many maths applications and offers did you have this year at Peterhouse?

Just trying to get a sense of the competition in terms of numbers...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Good morning,

I am hoping you can please clarify something for me as I have been told 2 different things from my daughter's college.

My daughter is currently in year 12 and hoping to study maths at Cambridge in 2017. She is studying Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science.

The college has struggled to employ a qualified Computing teacher and because of this there has been huge disruption to the teaching of this subject, the college has said that they will issue an extenuating circumstances should they need to following AS results.

My daughter's intention was always to take all 4 subjects to A2 however due to the disruption and lack of teaching in Computer Science I think she is hoping now to drop the subject at AS.

I have 2 questions please -

Should my daughter not achieve her expected grade and the college complete an extenuating circumstances explaining it was their fault will that hinder her application in anyway?

If she drops Computer Science she will obviously only be taking 3 subjects through to A2 - Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry, is this acceptable as 2 of the subjects are Maths - will she be disadvantaged in anyway against the Maths applicants that are applying with 4 A-levels, in particular as she hasn't taken Physics?

Many thanks for your time.
Original post by to4ka
Would you advice on taking STEP the year before applying, bearing in mind that my country's maths syllabus is almost completely unrelated to the exam? Would you ask an applicant to retake the exam if he manages to cover the usual offer pre-interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I take it you're interested in Maths?

There's no expectation that you would take STEP early. A good performance may be encouraging but your current exams are likely more important in terms of meeting any offer set. If you achieve 1,1 in STEP II and III before interview we wouldn't usually ask you to take them again, but we might and we might (rarely) want S, 1 or even (very rarely) S, S. All offers are set individually according to circumstances so I wouldn't worry about offer levels yet, just look to build the best application you can.

You might find this old thread we did useful if you're interested in Maths at Peterhouse.
Original post by qeyoo
What type of evidence do you like to see for aptitude at Maths (for a maths degree)? I will have taken C1, C2, S1, M1, FP1 by the application but will be doing the rest in 2017. I'm also taking Chemistry, Economics and Spanish (will drop Spanish after AS).

Also, I have anxiety problems that would likely make an interview difficult for me, do you consider this in making your decision? I just miss qualifying for extenuating circumstances, so probably wouldn't be submitting an ECF. Would I need to get my school to write a letter confirming I do really have problems and don't just want to be 'let off easily' at interview?

You may also be interested in our old thread by Dr András Zsák answering questions about maths interviews. Briefly, we want to see that you've done well at the maths you've done, that you're interested in the subject and that you've done some super-curricular exploration.

I don't understand what you mean by the second part - there's no 'qualification' for extenuating circumstances. If you think your education or achievements have been affected by circumstances outside of your control, you can ask a relevant professional to submit an Extenuating Circumstances Form. This can be as simply as the letter from school you suggest, but structured to fit the form. We don't ask to see proof or anything like that.

If you have a diagnosis relating to an anxiety disorder then you can declare this as a disability when you apply at UCAS and we can see that our your application and we will get in touch to ask if there's anything we can do to adjust the interview process to make it more comfortable for you. We really do want to see all candidates at their best!
Original post by jamestg

or

What subject are you applying for? You'll never get in for French with those! GCSE results are not important and are only ever considered in the context of your school. If you're on track to meet the typical offer, you shouldn't be put off.
Original post by imsoanonymous123
How many maths applications and offers did you have this year at Peterhouse?

Just trying to get a sense of the competition in terms of numbers...

Statistics will be released at the end of the round.
Original post by Intermum
Good morning,

I am hoping you can please clarify something for me as I have been told 2 different things from my daughter's college.

My daughter is currently in year 12 and hoping to study maths at Cambridge in 2017. She is studying Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science.

The college has struggled to employ a qualified Computing teacher and because of this there has been huge disruption to the teaching of this subject, the college has said that they will issue an extenuating circumstances should they need to following AS results.

My daughter's intention was always to take all 4 subjects to A2 however due to the disruption and lack of teaching in Computer Science I think she is hoping now to drop the subject at AS.

I have 2 questions please -

Should my daughter not achieve her expected grade and the college complete an extenuating circumstances explaining it was their fault will that hinder her application in anyway?

If she drops Computer Science she will obviously only be taking 3 subjects through to A2 - Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry, is this acceptable as 2 of the subjects are Maths - will she be disadvantaged in anyway against the Maths applicants that are applying with 4 A-levels, in particular as she hasn't taken Physics?

Many thanks for your time.

Your daughter will not be disadvantaged by circumstances outside her control. For Maths, we're mostly interested in her Maths and Further Maths results. Provided she is taking the full complement of modules in the summer of year 13, the workload is fine and she won't be at a disadvantage due to this. Our typical offer is A*A*A and 1, 1 in STEP II, III and we only expect candidates to be sitting 3 A levels.

However, we do consider Physics very helpful for Maths applicants and most applicants your daughter will be competing with will have taken Physics. This is not to say that she shouldn't apply - if she is very gifted in maths the lack of Physics won't hold her back.

If I can refer you to the old thread from Dr Zsák above I think he spells out his personal thoughts on A level Physics.
Reply 36
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Your daughter will not be disadvantaged by circumstances outside her control. For Maths, we're mostly interested in her Maths and Further Maths results. Provided she is taking the full complement of modules in the summer of year 13, the workload is fine and she won't be at a disadvantage due to this. Our typical offer is A*A*A and 1, 1 in STEP II, III and we only expect candidates to be sitting 3 A levels.

However, we do consider Physics very helpful for Maths applicants and most applicants your daughter will be competing with will have taken Physics. This is not to say that she shouldn't apply - if she is very gifted in maths the lack of Physics won't hold her back.

If I can refer you to the old thread from Dr Zsák above I think he spells out his personal thoughts on A level Physics.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I will take a look at the thread you have mentioned.

She is extremely gifted in Maths and Chemistry, which is why she opted to take Chemistry over Physics (she's never been a fan of Physics) having said that, would it be worthwhile her taking Physics in year 13 to AS level?

I understand from previous threads that when it comes to Maths, it really is all about how good you are at Maths as opposed to extra curricular stuff ie sports, musical instruments etc, I assume I have understood this correctly.

Thanks again

She is extremely gifted in Maths and Chemistry, which is why she opted to take Chemistry over Physics (she's never been a fan of Physics) having said that, would it be worthwhile her taking Physics in year 13 to AS level?

I understand from previous threads that when it comes to Maths, it really is all about how good you are at Maths as opposed to extra curricular stuff ie sports, musical instruments etc, I assume I have understood this correctly.

Thanks again

For any subject at Cambridge, we're only interested in academic ability and irrelevant extracurriculars don't play any role in admissions decisions. The most important thing for your daughter is to be on track to achieve A*A*A and 1,1 in STEP II and III. Whilst Physics would be advantageous, the lack of it isn't critical and there are courses provided to mathematicians at Cambridge to compensate for the lack of Physics. The three A levels (plus STEP preparation) are more important, but she could take additional Physics if she is interested and feels that it would not harm her performance in the other A levels and the preparation for STEP.

One thing to think very carefully about, however, is that you say your daughter has never been a fan of Physics. The Cambridge Mathematics course (particularly in the first year) includes quite a bit of applied mathematics and if she doesn't like Physics, she needs to be very sure of her reasons for deciding to study the Cambridge Mathematics course rather than a course elsewhere which would allow her a little more scope to focus on other areas of Mathematics.

Thanks again

The cours of Maths is very strongly centred towards Theoretical Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
The cours of Maths is very strongly centred towards Theoretical Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply. I will let her know, she did extremely well in her Physics GCSE so I will have a chat to her and see if she was aware of what you have told me and whether that may affect her decision for uni's.

Thanks again

Latest

Trending

Trending